Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Essential Gear

Options
  • 30-10-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭

Good morning. It would seem that this forum is relatively quiet, but I thought I'd start this thread anyway, and see what sort of responses I garner

I've been fluteing arond on the internet, watching videos, reading blogs, and I see a lot of "Top 5 essential items for Kayaking", or variations on the theme. Some go far beyond 5, to the point that I wonder if they tow a second kayak behind them to carry all the stuff.

With all that being said, what are the items posters on here would consider essential? Obviously there is a wide arraay of types of kayaking, so maybe include what it is you do?

I wont include a list myself, as I haven't been kayaking long enough to have whittled down my "essentials" yet. I will say that its completely recreational kayaking I'm doing, on a sit on top kayak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

In my case, for both WW and Sea Kayaking I will always bring the following:

Kayak, Paddle, Spray Deck, Helmet.
    Clothing for whatever conditions dictate. (Dry Suit, Shorty Cag, Board Shorts and t-shirt, etc)

On my person:
    In the PFD:
    Knife
    Basic First Aid Stuff
    Closed Sling and 2 screw gate carabiners
    Whistle attached to the shoulder strap of the PFD
    Gumi Bears or something similar

Closed Sling with a wire gate carabiner tucked between the PFD and Spray Deck

In the Boat:
    Spare Split Paddles
    Throw Rope
    Dry Bag with full First Aid kit
    Water
    Snacks

For Sea Kayaking I'd also have either a Chart or at least an OSI map of the coast I'm on. And maybe one of those hand pump things (depends on the company I keep as some get shirty if you don't have one with).

That's what I consider my "Basic Load". It gets modified form time to time depending on circumstances, location, type of group I'm with, etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

cletus wrote: »
    I will say that its completely recreational kayaking I'm doing, on a sit on top kayak

You don't need a spray deck for a SOT kayak.
    You do however need the following as a minimum.

PFD - not a self inflating one - No brainer
    Drysuit
    Knife
    VHF Radio (at sea or big lakes)
    Mobile phone in waterproof cover.
    First Aid kit
    Whistle on the PFD
    Compass

Optional Extras;
    Map
    GPS
    Spare paddle if possible
    Bottle of water
    Snacks
    Suncream
    Sunglasses
    Baseball cap.

Most importantly, try not paddle alone - min of two out together.
    Tell someone what time you expect to be back.

Even more importantly, you need to be able to self rescue confidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for the responses so far.

Yeah, SOT, so no spray deck. I haven't been out on the sea (nor am I likely to be any time soon). I've been on a combination of canals and slow moving river.

Have the PFD, and picked up a knife recently. Don't have either a wetsuit or a drysuit. I've been out in board shorts and tee shirt. I've no issues with self rescue. Have a small first aid kit too.

I was trying to see were there other obvious things I was missing. Half thinking of making/getting a throw bag.

Advertisement