Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Too Late for reseeding my Lawn?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I seeded a new lawn on Sat 3rd of October - on Monday this week I saw the soil turning a bit green ish - as of today I have a very sparse but 25mm growth on everywhere I didnt ruin by walking on !

I might take some pics tomorrow if anyone has any interest.

What kind of seed by the way? Rye mix or something else? I'm using the No1 mix - fescue mix

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

529490.jpg

legend99 wrote: »
    What kind of seed by the way? Rye mix or something else? I'm using the No1 mix - fescue mix

I am pretty sure it was this - sorry, I know no more about it

55d8d6bb-b6e9-4ad2-b0a5-922e0d4d185e.jpg

I am pretty sure it was this - sorry, I know no more about it

55d8d6bb-b6e9-4ad2-b0a5-922e0d4d185e.jpg

Rye seed should germinate faster than fescue I think. I'm getting seriously worried about my growing (no pun intended!) knowledge of grass. I even bought, as it was reduced, that 80s book The Lawn Expert in my local garden shop. I'd say they hadn't sold one in years. Hence it was battered and only a fiver!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawn-Expert-Enlarged-Updated/dp/B00RUOQ9XG

On a more serious note, how are you managing the leaves which are falling?

legend99 wrote: »

On a more serious note, how are you managing the leaves which are falling?

I look out at them !
    I am guessing their impact might be on stopping light getting to the seeds ?

• Advertisement

I look out at them !
    I am guessing their impact might be on stopping light getting to the seeds ?

Hi,
    Yes. Think the seeds are knackered under leaves. The recent rain has washed whatever seed left on the my area away - you could see the seeds floating off. I'm trying to decide whether I should out down more seed - and cover with polythene sheets as some websites recommend - or just hold off until April. Where I seeded is very patchy and I'd really like to try and get more grass to grow in the hope of preventing weeds taking over before I seed in Spring. Don't know now which option to go with. But inclined to chance the seed and polythene covering for the sake of it not being too expensive or too much work...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackbox

The seed that I put down at the end of September mostly hasn't germinated. It is a shady North facing slope so I guess the soil was too cold.

Will this seed remain dormant and germinate next Spring, or will I have to re-seed?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭kaiserrussel

Some what related I rented a scarifer from a tool hire company at the weekend and I did my lawn, twice actually. Cut the lawn Friday then round 1 sat morning.
    After picking up the grass and thatch I did a second pass in a different direction.

So much thatch and dead grass. It was therapeutic actually!

My question is can I put some lawn see on the ground and will it germinate?

My main aim was to try introduce new grass. My lawn was sown over 10 years ago.

Hi folks - I found that the grass didn't take as much as I would have wanted - although maybe because of the time of year. is there something in particular I should have seen by now? how high should the grass be after growing?

blackbox wrote: »
    The seed that I put down at the end of September mostly hasn't germinated. It is a shady North facing slope so I guess the soil was too cold.

Will this seed remain dormant and germinate next Spring, or will I have to re-seed?

It should germinate in around April and then you should have a fine lawn by about June. Pull the weeds by hand as they appear and then cut on a high setting at the start to encourage growth. Be patient and be sure to water in the spring if it's dry like it was last year. Scatter seed on any bare patches.

Hi folks - I found that the grass didn't take as much as I would have wanted - although maybe because of the time of year. is there something in particular I should have seen by now? how high should the grass be after growing?

There's no sure answer to be honest. No reason it won't germinate in the spring. Follow the guidelines above and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭kaiserrussel

There's no sure answer to be honest. No reason it won't germinate in the spring. Follow the guidelines above and you should be fine.

thanks for the advice - Lets see how it goes. If anything scarifiying the lawn gave me from sept on wards where I didn't need to mow the lawn :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there anything I could be doing to my lawn at this time of year?

I put down nematodes maybe October time, and maybe because we have had a mild enough winter so far, but grass appears to have got very lush and thick. It could nearly have been cut over the winter but I didn't want to leave ruts in the soft soil, did that before.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is there anything I could be doing to my lawn at this time of year?

I put down nematodes maybe October time, and maybe because we have had a mild enough winter so far, but grass appears to have got very lush and thick. It could nearly have been cut over the winter but I didn't want to leave ruts in the soft soil, did that before.

Leaving it alone is the best thing you can do. Whatever growth there was will have stopped now as proper winter has set in.

Advertisement