Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There is no issue with debate, and plenty of people have made their feelings and opinions clear about this release and the disappointing aspects of the games included, as well as those elements that are great.
    But the kind of persistent negativity from certain posters was well flagged as unacceptable and the consequences were well flagged.
    Keep it in mind in future contributions to this forum, we are all entitled to enjoy this space, but not at a cost to other users
    Thanks to the vast majority of you who understand this, and I say this as a user of this forum and a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The camera inverting patch has apparently landed, so I think I'll be picking up the game this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

The camera inverting patch has apparently landed, so I think I'll be picking up the game this week.

They have also patched in Gamecube controller support for Mario Sunshine. Not tried it yet to see if that means the analog triggers are usable but would be great if so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Will take a look later and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Sweet! I stopped playing after it came out, Galaxy was fine but Sunshine drove me mad with the camera. I'll give it a go tonight.

Its weird, cause I never had a problem with the camera on the Gamecube, but couldn't get past it on this port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

They have also patched in Gamecube controller support for Mario Sunshine. Not tried it yet to see if that means the analog triggers are usable but would be great if so.

The guys over at GameXplain have done a few videos about the updates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Sweet! I stopped playing after it came out, Galaxy was fine but Sunshine drove me mad with the camera. I'll give it a go tonight.

Its weird, cause I never had a problem with the camera on the Gamecube, but couldn't get past it on this port.
    Weirdly I didn't find the camera in Sunshine too bad (not great but nothing too annoying) but I'm finding the one in 64 a right pain.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I booted up Sunshine yesterday and can confirm that there are quite nicely granular camera controls now, so you can separately invert horizontal and vertical cameras in both close-up Mario view and general view. There are 1-button options for setting "normal" or "classic" settings in Sunshine.

I also connected up a couple of my old GC controllers to test out the analogue trigger support and...I think it's there? I have an XBOX-styled 3rd party GC controller that was always my preferred controller due to better ergonomics, and that didn't really seem to make any difference. But my original GC controller did seem to have a sort of "minimal spray" point. I don't remember how it would have played originally so can't easily compare, but as it exists in the updated version I don't think analogue trigger support is going to make a big difference. Being able to use the original control layout would be a plus, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Reddit suggests the GC controller gives analogue spray control alright, with the new update.
    I haven't given it a try, seems like a pain when it'll mean fiddling with the Switch dock and thr maze of wires back there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭WhenPigsCry

I might get this just to justify owning a GC adaptor and Controller, given that I don't actually like Smash :\

• Advertisement

It's unfortunate they didn't offer the same feature on Mario Kart 8 Dx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm only about 14 Shine in to Sunshine, but it's just not fun. The controls are iffy, and the camera is dodgy. Time was not kind. Galaxy on the other hand has definitely aged gracefully, and now I'm left with the regret that we didn't get a Galaxy All Stars instead!

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm only about 14 Shine in to Sunshine, but it's just not fun. The controls are iffy, and the camera is dodgy. Time was not kind. Galaxy on the other hand has definitely aged gracefully, and now I'm left with the regret that we didn't get a Galaxy All Stars instead!

Yeah, I can see how someone who hadn't already played it on the GC would bounce off it like that. There's a lot of potential in Sunshine, but really it would need a remake or remaster to deliver on it.

It'll be interesting to see if the rumoured release of Galaxy 2 as paid DLC for 3D All-stars comes true in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeah, I can see how someone who hadn't already played it on the GC would bounce off it like that. There's a lot of potential in Sunshine, but really it would need a remake or remaster to deliver on it.

It'll be interesting to see if the rumoured release of Galaxy 2 as paid DLC for 3D All-stars comes true in December.
    It feels unfinished or rushed. Sunshine 2 maybe? That could be good

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I was about to sell my copy but that DLC might make me keep it. I played Galaxy to death when it came out, all stars collected multiple times, but I couldn't afford Galaxy 2 when it came out. This time around, Galaxy is just not doing it for me. Same with Sunshine. The only game that I've enjoyed, I mean really enjoyed, from the game so far has been 64 as not having an N64 at the time, I only played the game in bits and pieces.

I think having a baby (now a 1 year old) in the house and being permanently on-call from work since COVID has changed my perspective on games. It's simple but new stuff that's keeping me playing. I'll definitely finish 64 and then shelve the game unless that Galaxy 2 DLC comes out.

With Sunshine I'm finding the objectives poorly signposted and the paths there full of random ways to fall, fail and feck-up.
    It's making some of the shines really a pain in the holé to gain.
    I'm about 15 in and not having too much fun, which is odd because Ioved it the first time around.
    I suppose our tastes have become a little more refined in the near 20 years since it's release, or my reflexes have deteriorated with the mileage since.
    Might be the latter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Galaxy is gold. The controls and pointer work better in wii/Wii u but the new hd paint is lovely. Sunshine seems really off to me. They should provide Galaxy 2 as free DLC. The collection is expensive enough.

Really, we need an Odyssey 2. They could go in all sorts of crazy directions with that.

I don't think it's deteriorated reflexes - there's research mentioned in this article that basically concluded there's no real difference in response type between younger and older gamers, so physiologically there's no issue.

For me, the biggest thing I notice (and replaying Sunshine really spotlit this) is that, with less free time and a lot more competing demands for it, I have less time than ever before for games that expect me to play a level dozens or hundreds of times until I have learned it off well enough to complete it. Ditto games that waste my time by poorly explaining objectives, or make me go through the pointless start-of-level dialogue/cutscene/whatever each time I replay a level/mission, or any of that crud. I know why old games are like that, but I still have very little interest in it now.

For Sunshine in particular I feel like the things it did well have been taken and expanded on so well in Odyssey (same as Mario 64) that the older game can't help but fare badly; the fact that Odyssey also has many other quality-of-life gameplay improvements simply cements this.

I would absolutely be on-board for a Sunshine 2, though. For all its weaknesses, a game where Mario wanders around a lovely island holiday resort managed to bring me more happiness than I might have guessed, and a much-needed break from the conveyor-belt-of-garbage that most of 2020 has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,573 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I am willing to concede that the camera in Sunshine might - MIGHT - not be absolutely cutting edge at this point.

But it's still amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Actually, I have already played it in the GameCube. I bought it at launch, one of two games I cycled 5 miles each way into town for at 8am! (The other being Wind Waker!)

• Advertisement

Actually, I have already played it in the GameCube. I bought it at launch, one of two games I cycled 5 miles each way into town for at 8am! (The other being Wind Waker!)

Ah, Wind Waker... I expected to love that game, but got hopelessly lost after about 8-10 hours in game and ended up giving up on it for years. When I finally went back ages later I discovered I'd somehow managed to some parts of it completely out of sequence and was missing the bow & arrow (I think?), and it was easier to just start over and occasionally refer to a guide to keep me on the right track.

I loved some aspects of it, but still haven't forgiven it for that first botched playthrough...

I had an import GC and brought in Super Mario Sunshine from Japan, good lord but those Japanese GC gamers got the best cases, art and manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had an import GC and brought in Super Mario Sunshine from Japan, good lord but those Japanese GC gamers got the best cases, art and manuals.

And that spice GameCube...
    tenor.gif?itemid=7851132

• Registered Users Posts: 19,573 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Am I crazy or is the music in the Galaxy hub different? I could have sworn it used to sound more like an orchestra. The Super Mario Galaxy orchestra, I recall from somewhere.

Advertisement