Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Options
  • 09-09-2020 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

This probably deserves it's own thread.

Anouncement trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMWRRAEogs

Release date Novemeber 20th.
    Apparently there will be a special edition in Japan but no mention of one coming to these parts yet.
    Standard edition is €60 in Smyths.

Who's buying it? It's a day one purchase for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hyrule Warriors didn't really do anything for me, so I think I'll give this a skip. I think I'm in the minority though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I'm not a big Hyrule Warriors fan, or that style of game, but it does seem to suit a prequel to Breath of the Wild and that event. I'm curious to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I will be picking it up, quite enjoyed Hyrule Warriors even if it did start to drag a bit later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mr E wrote: »
    Hyrule Warriors didn't really do anything for me, so I think I'll give this a skip. I think I'm in the minority though!

Same. I'm actually quite disappointed that a prequel to BotW is being wasted (imo) on a Warriors game. Zero interest in that style of game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Nope not alone. Im gonna skip too. Found the first one just too repetative after a while.

• Advertisement

New info from TGS. New trailer featuring the 4 Champions

13 minutes of gameplay with some Japanese narration. Impa revealed as the new playable character, uses a lot of Ninjitsu style attacks. Egg looks to take the same role as Proxi in HW1, follows Link and "talks" for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Loving the look of this. Very different game obviously to BOTW but I'm itching to get back into that universe. Will definitely be buying day 1.

Cant find a solitary vid of it but there was a second livestream this morning, buried in a marathon 6 hour stream. Showed 2 new snippets of gameplay: Link and Impa in the Thunder Ridge (path towards the Gerudo Desert) and another in and around Goron City with Spear Link and Daruk.

(from 2:19:20 to 1:50:40)

Some more snippets of gameplay:
    -every character has a different use for the 4 Slate runes; Link throws 4 bombs, Daruk throws a huge bomb that clusters into a dozen smaller ones and Impa throws a bomb that shoots up as a firework. And Impas use of the Cryonis NEEDS to be in Botw2...
    -weapons have levels (first few seconds of the gameplay has the level setup screen, the sword is at LVL1)
    -elemental rods can be picked up and used as an AoE attack, some enemies have elemental weaknesses (gameplay featured a Fire Moblin)
    -large icons above enemies when they are vulnerable to a certain Runes usage
    -Guardian fight was shown
    and you can parry their lasers again

Now not looked too deeply at it, but so far havent spotted 50 enemies phasing in every time you turn around because they werent rendered when you unleashed your Focus attack.....bugs me so much about HW1, and hope its at least massively scaled back in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surely no matter what you do in this game, you beat it.
    Oh you died in the first few minutes, Ganon won and Hyrule was destroyed, exactly as seen in BotW so you succeeded in completing the story

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Surely no matter what you do in this game, you beat it.
    Oh you died in the first few minutes, Ganon won and Hyrule was destroyed, exactly as seen in BotW so you succeeded in completing the story

It's Rogue One to Star Wars!

Yes, we know the ending, but the story is in the unfolding doom along the way!

• Advertisement

I was kind of hoping for a time travel element of something in Botw 2 where we would see this story

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So it looks like Age of Calamity might have a few tricks up its sleeve, if the new trailer is anything to go by.
    A mysterious figure appears at the end, it sort of looks like Yuga from A Link Between Worlds, and also could be the 'corpse' coming alive in the BOTW 2 teaser

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1316015864953536512?s=19

Looks like there's a demo coming for this game too if leaks are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Demo is available now.

Basically, if you didn't like Hyrule Warriors for the gameplay, I can't imagine this will. I personally did like the combat, but not the story, and this definitely goes all in on the Breath of the Wild connection. Demo has moved this to a Day One for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Played the first two levels, and quite enjoyed them. Was unsure how this was going to shoehorn itself in, but I kinda like how they've done it. Can see us losing many hours to this one too!

Played the first 2 levels too. Its great to be back in Hyrule. This game is stunning to look at, the audio cues are giving me all the BOTW nostalgia and I'm actually enjoying the gameplay which was my biggest worry.
    I'm loving this. Kinda glad now cyberpunk got delayed so I can dedicate some time to this properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How does it feel to play?
    I have it downloading at home as we speak.
    I kinda want to return to Hyrule and loved the exploration of the first game, does this new one give you the same kind of access or is it entirely hack'n slash?

It's hack and slash on smaller focused levels. A lot of familiar locations and characters. It's different. Wasnt sure id like it but the BOTW nostalgia is strong. Can't wait for the full release now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Played the Demo last night. Haven't played a Warriors game before and glad they have a demo out. Love the setting and lore aspect but the gameplay isn't for me, just makes me want to play BoTW again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I've been playing BOTW since day of release, completed it 7 times, no idea what you are supposed to be even doing in this, when the hints pop up on the TV the writing is so small i have to walk to the TV to read them.

Any tips or is it just run around swinging a sword, is there tactics?

• Advertisement

Think it's safe to say this will be a popular watch on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I liked the demo. Still love that world and I'm intrigued as to where the story goes but I find the gameplay gets very repetitive very quickly

Fun to play in short bursts though.

Just completed the demo. Think I would need a lot more practice
    killed by the guardian a lot
    Need to learn what Zelda and Impa's moves actually do.

Going by the story in the demo
    alternate timeline? Or would Calamity Ganon have won outright if the wee bot hadn't travelled back and given Zelda time to train to hold him back?

Famitsu just gave the game a 36/40 score (or 9/9/9/9 if you want to get specific). Bodes well.

Just a warning for anyone who wants to avoid spoilers. Seems there was a datamine and spoilers posted online.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Reviews are out now.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity/critic-reviews

9 on IGN, 8 on Nintendo Life. 79 Metacritic score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Reviews are out now.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/hyrule-warriors-age-of-calamity/critic-reviews

9 on IGN, 8 on Nintendo Life. 79 Metacritic score.

I think this could be the worst thing I've ever played, you can't read the quotes or even tell what to do 90% of the time.

Maybe because i'd never played dynasty wars, Maybe i dont understand just running around hitting invisible walls, tiny map no idea where you are or what to do only chop little orange trumps up.

There will inevitably be people wo are disappointed with this game because you can't climb everything, explore anywhere etc.For me it looks great, the demo was great fun and it's more of the BOTW universe which I loved. Going by the reviews I've read on top of this, a score of 8 or 9 sounds about right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just wondering anyone who has played the demo and then bought the full game, does it run better than the demo?

The frame rate was really poor in places on the demo and that kind of put me off buying the full game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Expansion Pack announced, two waves incoming. More info here: https://www.zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/buy/#expansion

Advertisement