Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When to bend willow?

Options
  • 15-11-2020 10:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hello Folks,

I have a single screen line of Willow growing, about 50 metres long. They are spaced about 1 foot apart. They are now at between 6 and 8 foot high. As you can imagine they are very thin and willowy! however.
    I now want to intertwine these together to make a better, stronger and nicer looking screen. My idea is to bend them across each other at approx 5 foot high, as close to 90 degrees as I can get. This will make a 5 or 6 foot high hedge, come summer, and really strengthen up the stems.

Thing is, when can I do this and will this work.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you can do this any time, now would be easier as you are not contending with leaves. I suggest you go more for 45 degrees rather than try and force them to 90 degrees, and start a bit lower down so you get more area of cover. Willows are extremely forgiving so you will be hard pressed to do it wrong!

I am also doing a willow structure, but it needs a few more young slips inserted (in progress) and I will probably do the weaving in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I e similar. Planted 18o slips in spring to make an interlaced fedge... Yes it's a word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I e similar. Planted 18o slips in spring to make an interlaced fedge... Yes it's a word :)

So is pleaching :)

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So is pleaching :)

Had to look that up:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I would like to do some basket work with willow and gather that this is the right time to harvest? It grows like weeds here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Winter is the time to weave the shoots when they are pliable.

Good advice here
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=588

Advertisement