Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Workhouse Death - Finding Place of Burial

• 24-12-2020 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A relation of mine has a registered place of death as the South Dublin Union Workhouse in Dec 1922.

How can I go about locating her place of burial?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not easily, I suspect. Do you know why she was in the workhouse, or for how long? Did she have family?

In most cases funerals/burials were arranged by family members, and they could take place wherever the family arranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not easily, I suspect. Do you know why she was in the workhouse, or for how long? Did she have family?

In most cases funerals/burials were arranged by family members, and they could take place wherever the family arranged.

She appears to have been unwell and was originally from outside Dublin. She was an only child whose mother had died during the War of Independence. Her father was still alive when she died in Dublin but he appears to have still been residing outside Dublin.

Thanks for your reply but I'm expecting a moderator here may be able to assist with this :)

Good night!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'The Workhouse' by then was really just a hospital . The South Dublin Workhouse was what is now James' Hospital.

I would first check the graveyards local to where she was from, plus Glasnevin (once the site is working again). Maybe Mount Jerome too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you tried looking for a death notice?

If you post a name and date of death I can check the papers for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

spurious wrote: »
    'The Workhouse' by then was really just a hospital . The South Dublin Workhouse was what is now James' Hospital.

I would first check the graveyards local to where she was from, plus Glasnevin (once the site is working again). Maybe Mount Jerome too.

She's not buried with her parents unless the gravestones were never marked to indicate that she was. Really depending on online or newspaper records as a result.

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Have you tried looking for a death notice?

If you post a name and date of death I can check the papers for you.

Much appreciated, Hermy.

Will PM you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I wouldn't be optimistic, unfortunately.

Look at our thread of cemeteries online and check all the Dublin ones.

Most people did not have money for a permanent headstone until the second half of the 20th century.
    If her father was not around when she died, she most likely was buried in a pauper's grave in one of the municipals. Deansgrange/Glasnevin/Mt Jerome.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

jprboy wrote: »
    Hi,

A relation of mine has a registered place of death as the South Dublin Union Workhouse in Dec 1922.

How can I go about locating her place of burial?

Thanks.

Hi, my granny's sister died in the South Dublin Union, in 1929. I just happened to be in Glasnevin cemetary (doing one of their excellent tours), so asked at the reception desk - though you could pay to access their online records. The girl at the desk confirmed she was buried there, the date of death, location of the grave and who purchased it. I assumed that my granny's sister, having been in the workhouse for 18 years, would have had a pauper's grave, but my granny was the purchaser. We errected a headstone on her grave, Sarah Harding Boulger :).

Worth checking with Glasnevin, even if not the nearest cemetary to the Union. Glasnevin cemetary have an active genealogy group, who might help. Richmond Barracks visitor centre would have details on Goldenbridge cemetary records, which is also quite close. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Actually, Goldenbridge records are on Glasnevin's site too. The problem is that the Glasnevin database is offline at the moment.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Chrisam wrote: »
    Hi, my granny's sister died in the South Dublin Union, in 1929. I just happened to be in Glasnevin cemetary (doing one of their excellent tours), so asked at the reception desk - though you could pay to access their online records. The girl at the desk confirmed she was buried there, the date of death, location of the grave and who purchased it. I assumed that my granny's sister, having been in the workhouse for 18 years, would have had a pauper's grave, but my granny was the purchaser. We errected a headstone on her grave, Sarah Harding Boulger :).

Worth checking with Glasnevin, even if not the nearest cemetary to the Union. Glasnevin cemetary have an active genealogy group, who might help. Richmond Barracks visitor centre would have details on Goldenbridge cemetary records, which is also quite close. Best of luck!

Great info there, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

jprboy wrote: »
    She's not buried with her parents unless the gravestones were never marked to indicate that she was. Really depending on online or newspaper records as a result.

Have you tried locating a burial register for the graveyard where her parents are buried?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Have you tried locating a burial register for the graveyard where her parents are buried?

No, just need the time to get around to this.

Her parents are buried in separate graveyards as her father re-married after the girl's mother died.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Advertisement