Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reflux , Carobel and Constipation

• 03-12-2020 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭

Hi all our 14 week old has had quite bad reflux since two weeks old. He is on losec the last month and carobel to thicken his expressed breast milk the last 10 days.

We add just half a scoop of carobel to 4 ounces of milk so it's not too thick. We do this for his 3 feeds in the evening , overnight and early morning and his sleep has improved massively thanks to it . His other daytime feeds are just normal expressed breast milk.

He is starting to get constipated and currently on day 3 with no poop which is a long time for him . Any thoughts on how to get things moving a bit more regularly ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

A few things you could try if he still hasn’t gone, baby massage - there should be some videos on YouTube. A bath. Breastmilk is a laxative as well so that in itself should be working some magic (no need for water or sugared water or similar old wives tales). Also, putting on some new clothes either in the baby or yourself seems to have the desired effect in some babies.

Fair play to you/your partner to exclusively pumping as well. It’s hard work

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You can also cycle his legs gently as this gets the bowel muscles going.When mine had wind problems I used to lay them on each side for a minute or so, and sometimes gently cycle the outer leg a bit then too.

Prune juice heavily diluted with cooled boiled water, or orange juice from a squeezed orange diluted too (If I remember correctly, about 2 teaspoons of juice, to about 2 ozs of water) can also help - recommended to me by nurses/pharmacist, on the advice of the hospital, so safe enough.Just make sure the water is cold water, freshly boiled, then cooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was doing the tummy massage multiple times a day, and doing the bicycle on the changing table multiple times a day with no effect except to pass gas.

He was approaching 6 days with no poop , and was showing signs of discomfort and straining so got the ok from doctor to give 2.5ml of lactulose which had the desired effect after about 30 hrs.

He did pass a small amount previous to the lactulose dose and it has like thick clay and was very hard for him to pass so the lactulose would of helped add some water back into it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

There are breast fed babies who don't poo for days on end, so it certainly isn't unheard of, but if that hasn't been his habit then he obviously needed a little help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

shesty wrote: »
    There are breast fed babies who don't poo for days on end, so it certainly isn't unheard of, but if that hasn't been his habit then he obviously needed a little help.

Yeah i would normally agree , but the sheer thickness of the lump he did manage to pass would clog a full grown adult up , and you could see he was visibly straining and had discomfort so needed a bit of help.

Shame we have to withdraw from the use of carobel though as it was improving his sleep massively for those night feeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement