Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-01-2021, 11:01   #31
jimgoose
Registered User
 
jimgoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 18,864
Can I just point out that "jimgoose and the Usual Internet Wankers" would be an excellent name for an Appalachian electrofunk outfit?
jimgoose is offline  
Advertisement
27-01-2021, 11:12   #32
Stevieluvsye
Banned
 
Stevieluvsye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlily View Post
Drinking heavily/getting drunk on front of your children should be a criminal offence in my opinion.

These things have a life long psychological impact and can destroy that child's adult life. It certainly changes the person that they should be if they had grown up in a normal household.

Personally, I think there is way to little focus on this.
LOL

In fairness to your point, i don't think it's right that any parent should be drunk or in the process of getting drunk in front of young kids.

It's all too common that section 34's are handed out in this country for this very reason
Stevieluvsye is offline  
27-01-2021, 11:16   #33
McGinniesta
Registered User
 
McGinniesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlily View Post
Drinking heavily/getting drunk on front of your children should be a criminal offence in my opinion.

These things have a life long psychological impact and can destroy that child's adult life. It certainly changes the person that they should be if they had grown up in a normal household.

Personally, I think there is way to little focus on this.
The first problem with that is how do you catch someone who does it at home?

And where do you draw the line? Do you do the same thing with smokers? I've had serious weight problems in the past do you do it with people who are obese or have an unhealthy relationship with food?
McGinniesta is offline  
27-01-2021, 11:37   #34
Oink
Savage muc
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGinniesta View Post
The first problem with that is how do you catch someone who does it at home?

And where do you draw the line? Do you do the same thing with smokers? I've had serious weight problems in the past do you do it with people who are obese or have an unhealthy relationship with food?

Where do you draw the line? Are you effin serious?
I’ve never seen a child cry in fear because their parent is having an obese moment. But I HAVE seen a child almost physically sick with fear because of a drunk parent. If you had you wouldn’t be so flippant about it.
It’s ridiculous to compare the two.
Oink is online now  
27-01-2021, 11:48   #35
Stevieluvsye
Banned
 
Stevieluvsye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Where do you draw the line? Are you effin serious?
I’ve never seen a child cry in fear because their parent is having an obese moment. But I HAVE seen a child almost physically sick with fear because of a drunk parent. If you had you wouldn’t be so flippant about it.
It’s ridiculous to compare the two.
I doubt the poster meant any harm in their post but in all serousness the majority of this country are not aware of some of the things that go on in some households with regards child abuse because of alcohol

Some of the stories would make you feel physically sick
Stevieluvsye is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-01-2021, 11:53   #36
Mimon
Registered User
 
Mimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGinniesta View Post
Wouldn't life be wonderful if everything was so simple?

As if you are going to wake up one day with some will power and self control that will magically make your alcoholism disappear. Forget the fact that addiction is usually far more complex than this.

If this were the case then nobody in life would ever have any problems ever. They'd just gain some self control and their problems would just vanish. Sounds like nonsense to me.
Woosh
Mimon is offline  
27-01-2021, 11:58   #37
Mimon
Registered User
 
Mimon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieluvsye View Post
I doubt the poster meant any harm in their post but in all serousness the majority of this country are not aware of some of the things that go on in some households with regards child abuse because of alcohol

Some of the stories would make you feel physically sick
The person I'm talking to would not be in any way abusive to their children after drink. They would talk drunken ****e and get and be all lovey dovey with them alright. Not abuse but definitely not a good example to set for them.
Mimon is offline  
27-01-2021, 12:01   #38
Mango Joe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsie1 View Post
Usual internet wanker....hope you get lots of thanks to make youfeel beter about your sad life
The main problem with alcoholics is their inevitable trait of being an utter sh|t to everyone unfortunate enough to be around them.
Mango Joe is offline  
27-01-2021, 12:04   #39
Northernlily
Registered User
 
Northernlily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Where do you draw the line? Are you effin serious?
I’ve never seen a child cry in fear because their parent is having an obese moment. But I HAVE seen a child almost physically sick with fear because of a drunk parent. If you had you wouldn’t be so flippant about it.
It’s ridiculous to compare the two.
I was that child for all my childhood. Used to go into school so tired as I would have been up as late as 1am/2am waiting for an alcoholic parent to come home scared that they would hurt themselves or someone else as they drove. My anxiety at the time was through the roof as a kid.

Straight to the pub after work most evenings and I would hear the car coming down the road and wait for the inevitable smash into the tree. One night the car even went under a truck. Luckily they survived but didn't learn.

When I got big enough as a teen I lost the plot and put my father up against the wall over it.

It was absolutely terrifying. A very tough way to grow up.
Northernlily is offline  
Advertisement
27-01-2021, 12:04   #40
Stevieluvsye
Banned
 
Stevieluvsye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango Joe View Post
The main problem with alcoholics is their inevitable trait of being an utter sh|t to everyone unfortunate enough to be around them.
You're way off the mark.

Alcoholics have their own agenda.
Stevieluvsye is offline  
27-01-2021, 12:34   #41
bnt
Registered User
 
bnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,252
An alcoholic is someone who can’t not drink. It doesn’t matter how you rationalise it e.g. I’ve heard “I only need it to help me sleep” from a friend. He can’t remember when he last tried sleeping without drinks first.
bnt is offline  
27-01-2021, 12:56   #42
Fog Hat
Banned
 
Fog Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnt View Post
An alcoholic is someone who can’t not drink. It doesn’t matter how you rationalise it e.g. I’ve heard “I only need it to help me sleep” from a friend. He can’t remember when he last tried sleeping without drinks first.
With my friend it's 'once I find a good woman I'll stop'. Why doesn't he just stop now?
Fog Hat is offline  
27-01-2021, 13:14   #43
Northernlily
Registered User
 
Northernlily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Hat View Post
With my friend it's 'once I find a good woman I'll stop'. Why doesn't he just stop now?
It's probably the reason he can't find a good woman. He might if he stops, eats healthy and does some exercise and becomes more positive.
Northernlily is offline  
Thanks from:
27-01-2021, 13:17   #44
Fog Hat
Banned
 
Fog Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlily View Post
It's probably the reason he can't find a good woman. He might if he stops, eats healthy and does some exercise and becomes more positive.
His logic is, if he finds a woman he'll have to stop drinking in order to keep her around.

F*cking rummy. I use to feel sorry for him, now I'm just starting to hate him for his selfishness and stupidity.
Fog Hat is offline  
27-01-2021, 13:23   #45
PommieBast
Registered User
 
PommieBast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsie1 View Post
What makes someone an alcoholic?
Medics tell me actual alcoholics are those who bury bottles of vodka in the back garden because they are in denial.
PommieBast is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet