Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motoring offences

• 13-09-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Was just wondering does anyone know in Ireland how long does it take to get a notice of a motoring offence in the post. I know it’s 14 days in the UK so is it similar here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

The fixed charge can be issued at any time up to 110 days from the date of the offence, plus a maximum 3 days for it to be printed and posted to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

Seems like an awful long time would they usually take this long or that the maximum time

Maximum. Normally within a fortnight

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd be waiting different times depending on the offence and who was involved. Were you flashed by a speed van or did a Garda see you holding your phone or are you expectng a summons to court?

• Advertisement

Speed van, was abit hit and miss but don’t know if it flashed or not so was just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Don199 wrote: »
    Speed van, was abit hit and miss but don’t know if it flashed or not so was just wondering

Thought they were on strike

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They don't flash.

110 days is max, don't think it happens at all. 2-3 weeks would be the norm based on my and the others I know experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Daryl93

Hey guys I have a question basically I had a bit of coke last Friday a very one off had a gram,stopped at 2 am that night went to bed,next day at around 5pm I pulled up my car to check for a noise in my breaks and cops pull up beside me so they thought I was acting suspicious without even testing me in the road they just brought me in and took my urin sample to be sent off,I was perfectly fine and they left me drive home after I’m bit worried that this will show up on my test,Like can I get prosicuted over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Daryl93 wrote: »
    Hey guys I have a question basically I had a bit of coke last Friday a very one off had a gram,stopped at 2 am that night went to bed,next day at around 5pm I pulled up my car to check for a noise in my breaks and cops pull up beside me so they thought I was acting suspicious without even testing me in the road they just brought me in and took my urin sample to be sent off,I was perfectly fine and they left me drive home after I’m bit worried that this will show up on my test,Like can I get prosicuted over this?
    You can and you will, if the test results show that you're over the limit.

Are the test results likely to show that you're over the limit? No idea, I'm afraid. That's a medical rather than a legal matter, to do with the speed at which cocaine is typically metabolised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Daryl93

Peregrinus wrote: »

Are the test results likely to show that you're over the limit? No idea, I'm afraid. That's a medical rather than a legal matter, to do with the speed at which cocaine is typically metabolised.

But coke can stay in system for quite a good few days ami right they should of Carrie out a swab test at first to make shure I was on something at the time becouse I wasn’t on it at the time,tricky one to say 🀨

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

It was 3 weeks turn around the last time I was caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Peregrinus wrote: »

Do them tests just state whether it's in your system or not?

I didn't think there was a limit as such?

I thought it was a black and white, yes or no matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Do them tests just state whether it's in your system or not?

I didn't think there was a limit as such?

I thought it was a black and white, yes or no matter?
    There is a limit - 10ng/ml for cocaine or 50 ng/ml for benzoylecgonine (which is a marker for cocaine).

The fact they took urine means that it will show the presence of cocaine in your system. But they will also need evidence of impaired driving to prosecute you. Since you weren't driving at the time, and it was 5pm the following evening, I' imagine you are in the clear......

Now, if they had taken a saliva sample either at the side of the road, or back in the station, it would almost certainly have indicated the presence of cocaine, and they would have taken a blood sample from you, which would almost certainly have guaranteed you a minimum 12 month driving ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cityboyjim

Sorry for jumping in here .If I am off the road here in Ireland can I drive in the UK.Can I apply for a UK Licence maybe .Thanks

Advertisement