Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

April 2020 Babies club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Hi folks - Mrs CPTM was wondering if anyone here has any kind recommendations for maternity-wear shops in Dublin. Is there any place normally recommended? The bump is starting to show now. A lot of her jeans don't fit anymore. Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

CPTM wrote: »
    Hi folks - Mrs CPTM was wondering if anyone here has any kind recommendations for maternity-wear shops in Dublin. Is there any place normally recommended? The bump is starting to show now. A lot of her jeans don't fit anymore. Thanks..

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058013313/1/#post111192804

I'm just starting to show, no idea where to start on maternity stuff.

Also I feel a bit off posting in this thread since my revised due date is now at the end of March but it's the only thread I posted in from the start and it'll probably be overdue anyway!

I hope everyone is doing well. I was feeling fantastic and the sickness really eased off to a vague nausea now and then, but I woke up a few hours ago and have been very sick, not just that, but feeling very low and tearful. Not to be a downer but I've been crying and heaving now for hours and I was wondering if anyone else had their sickness resolve only to come back, or have been overwhelmed with negative feelings out of the blue?

Candie, I’m end of March as well but the March thread died a death when someone set up a Facebook group instead so I’ve been keeping an eye on the April thread myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Candie re maternity clothes it depends on your budget. I wore only over the bump trousers.

My favourite jeans were Pennys. The band was firm and comfy and adjustable and good quality. Really like them. H&M were good too not as good quality but I had to size up and sized up twice for trousers. H&M also do lovely nursing string tops.
    Leggings (get a pair for after baby if nothing else!!!!! I didn't and jeans and a section are BAD). I don't wear black so finding navy ones took a while but I got Topshop ones and they weren't see through.
    Tights H&M I found the best for tights. Asos do some too so will try out this year.
    Boohoo does good cheap bits, quality is poor but served me for for the time. I also like Asos stuff. I got pj's there. I never got anything from Next but I generally like their clothes.
    Coats I got a fab cape in Jojomaman Bebe. It's lovely but very impractical. I can't wear a backpack really. I'd get the insert coat if I was buying one again.
    Bras - I've to wear a bra in bed (and did once baby came) I got M&S braletts. So comfy and decent support. Not nursing but I was sick of beige no wired bras otherwise I just had a good boring non wired bra. I like M&S. Get fitted as well it helps.
    Shoes I was out of my normal shoes at 16 weeks and in Evans plus size boots at 30 (im a size 12/14 but have v skinny feet/ankles). Evans have a lovely range if you are swelling. My runners didn't even fit me come 35 weeks.
    Workout gear I loved Gap. You can't buy it in the shop but I found the bottoms supportive and comfy.
    Christmas party I got a dress on sale in Jojomaman Bebe. I searched for a while and it was one I found nicest. Keep an eye on the sales.
    Tops they are the easiest.

I've also purchased a few bits from mamalicious and Espirit. I'll report back on those when they arrive this week.

• Advertisement

I bought a couple of pairs of jeans with lycra and they're still doing ok but the next week is going to see a shopping trip!

Anyone else feeling really definite movement? I was certain of what I was feeling for the first time last week and now I must be more attuned to it because I'm feeling it every day! Best feeling in the world :)

I swear it's not wind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Candie wrote: »
    I bought a couple of pairs of jeans with lycra and they're still doing ok but the next week is going to see a shopping trip!

Anyone else feeling really definite movement? I was certain of what I was feeling for the first time last week and now I must be more attuned to it because I'm feeling it every day! Best feeling in the world :)

I swear it's not wind :P

Im not due to May but its early May so I go between the 2 threads :pac:
    I have been feeling a "tickly" feeling on my left side on and off since last week and I keep thinking maybe its baby but I dont really know :confused::o

I think I'd been feeling life for at least a couple of weeks before I was convinced it was baby, Dragonfly! I was just afraid it was a rumbling tum or gas and it was a while before I felt confident about what it was. It's like a butterfly inside you, or as you say a tickly on the inside feeling. I was absolutely elated after feeling it, it's so exciting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Today is a bit of a milestone for myself and Mrs CPTM as we reach 20 weeks. It feels surreal how fast the weeks are passing us by but I suppose we need to get used to it! The bump is very noticeable now and the feeling of movement is very frequent. We have the big scan next week on the 21st so we're looking forward to that now. We're also doing a bit of checking on prams and other baby gear because Black Friday might be a good time to shop for things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are people going the single or double buggy route? We're thinking double makes more sense but the prices are steep enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Bought a single for the first and he’ll be 2 when the 2nd will be born so not a chance I’m buying a double now. Baby carrier for the newborn and lightweight stroller is my plan.

We'll be hoping to have a second soon after the first so will need a buggy to carry two.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Nottellingyet

bee06 wrote: »
    Bought a single for the first and he’ll be 2 when the 2nd will be born so not a chance I’m buying a double now. Baby carrier for the newborn and lightweight stroller is my plan.

Have you looked at any baby carriers yet or can you recommend one?

I have Moby wrap that I never used on my first as I didnt trust myself to wrap it properly!

Hoping to attend a sling library when the baby is born

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I have Moby wrap that I never used on my first as I didnt trust myself to wrap it properly!

The sling library is so handy, you get to try a few of them. I used the Tula explorer and the Tula Free to grow both from the sling library and loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

Hey guys, joining in - 20 weeks this Thursday on my first. Due 9th April and having it in the Rotunda. The staff down there are lovely! I have a few movements that I wasn't sure of if it was the baby or not but since the weekend I definitely know it's the baby! We're super excited, I'm a bit more laid back about it than my OH. Loads of friends have 2-3 kids and my sister in law is due her 3rd child in February too so there is no end of good advice. A friend with 3 kids said for clothes wise not to spend loads - she told me about the belly belt (available in mothercare) which will help extend the life of your jeans and trousers. I tried on over the bump trousers in H&M and I found them really awkward. My friend said you need ones like that later in your pregnancy but I guess everyone is different sizes and shapes so get what is comfortable. Go up in sizes and buy leggings, oversized tops/tshirts/jumpers. I didn't bother buying pregnancy pjs as I usually wear big t-shirts, so I went to the men's section in penney's, their printed t-shirts are €2.50-3.00 and you can get them up to 3xl. All my coats/jackets are getting a bit tight on me now so I bought an oversized duvet coast in marks. it's massive on my but I have room for bump to grow.

Congratulations to you all xx such an exciting time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Are people going the single or double buggy route? We're thinking double makes more sense but the prices are steep enough.

We bought a single on our first & got a second hand double when no. 2 arrived. We've just over two years between them & the double buggy was actually a great buy. I used it far more than I thought I would - especially going around the shops or out for a quick walk, it was great for keeping them both contained. Even now, our eldest is nearly 5 & we still use it if we are going to the zoo - handy for both holding our picnic basket, coats etc when they are too warm & also great for the end of the day when they are knackered!

I feel a bit like an interloper since I'm due late March but the March thread is dodo.

It never occurred to me to consider a double stroller. I'm just not thinking that far ahead, and I've all the stuff I want picked out for the sales. I think I'll just go with a single anyway. I'm still looking at slings and carriers since I think I'll be using that most in the first months, and my sisters in law has three for me to try out so I'm lucky with that. I also have lots of newborn clothes and bedding, via the nephews and nieces so I'm not buying much in that way.

I have a bit of a bump now so it's leggings and long tops for the next few weeks at least, but on the plus side I've also got actual boobs for the first time in my life, so there's an upside to everything. We're incredibly excited at this point, and I can't believe how fast the weeks are passing. This time next year we'll be having our first Christmas as parents!!

Hope everyone is feeling and doing well. :)

I’d defo recommend a sling meet to try what suits. It’s kinda like a good pair of jeans. What suits one person won’t suit another. I have a standard Tula from my first but don’t want to bother with an infant insert so I’m thinking of a buckle carrier suitable for birth. Something like a Kokadi Flip or ISARA the one.

You can take your Moby wrap to the sling meet and they’ll show you how to wrap as well if you aren’t comfortable with it. Stretchy wraps aren’t for me personally.

Candie wrote: »
    I feel a bit like an interloper since I'm due late March but the March thread is dodo.

I’m end of March as well Candie so we can be interlopers together ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I got a buggy that converts to a double buggy on the first. I hoped to have a second fairly soon after the first so said it made sense. I love it but it was an investment. Other friends have a single and will use a sling or board.

I've a wedding when baby is 3 months old so would definitely like to have a wrap then. Had a carrier for my first but feel the wrap is nicer for new borns. Will hopefully get to a sling meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all, another father here, due out second on April 1st, just had 20 week scan - all good thank god, resisted the temptation to find out the sex! Have 2.5 year old boy already.

Glad to hear of the different contexts/experiences here....we are in Rotunda too.

My original due date was April 1 too, but its been revised backwards. We couldn't resist knowing the sex. :)

Congratulations!

Yes! Found out the sex too, there'll be enough surprises on the day. Congrats.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MsSecretive

Hi guys,

I'm due the 16th April with baby number 4...I have 3 boys and this will be my first girl!!!!

My boys will be 13 in May, 3 in January and 1 in December - so I'm going to be pretty busy haha.

My first 2 were both born in the UK where I'm from, and 3rd was born here. I've lived here 2 years now and haven't met a single friend, how sad does that sound?!

How do people meet new friends here? There seem to be no mother/baby/toddler groups at all where I live and I'm not a very sociable person in general so do find it hard to approach people myself, but find I'm pretty lonely now having nobody to just chat to/go for coffee/take the kids out with etc.

Myself and my OH have pretty much no family between us either, both his parents died a long time ago and he has no contact with his only sister. He never knew his extended family.
    My mum died back in September, my dad still lives in England and I have no siblings or aunts/uncles/cousins so it would be nice to have friends to share news with!

Is there a Cuidiu group nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hi guys,

I'm due the 16th April with baby number 4...I have 3 boys and this will be my first girl!!!!

My boys will be 13 in May, 3 in January and 1 in December - so I'm going to be pretty busy haha.

My first 2 were both born in the UK where I'm from, and 3rd was born here. I've lived here 2 years now and haven't met a single friend, how sad does that sound?!

How do people meet new friends here? There seem to be no mother/baby/toddler groups at all where I live and I'm not a very sociable person in general so do find it hard to approach people myself, but find I'm pretty lonely now having nobody to just chat to/go for coffee/take the kids out with etc.

Myself and my OH have pretty much no family between us either, both his parents died a long time ago and he has no contact with his only sister. He never knew his extended family.
    My mum died back in September, my dad still lives in England and I have no siblings or aunts/uncles/cousins so it would be nice to have friends to share news with!

Approximately where in the country do you live? The PHN usually can recommend some groups. There are likely to be groups you just maybe haven’t heard about them yet. Does your locality have a Facebook page where you could ask? Cuidiu is always a lovely group to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Loll09

Hi everyone

Just thought I'd leave a quick message and say congratulations to you all. I'm due April 24th with my second. I have a 15 month old aswel. Exciting and busy times ahead!!! Hope your all feeling well xxx

Has anyone had their whooping cough injection yet?
    I have mine today and just wondering what - if any reactions people had?
    Obviously going to get it anyway, just want to be prepared as I have a busy few days ahead in work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Had it on my two previous and had no reaction. It was like getting the flu vac, might have had a sore arm for a day or two but that was it.

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Had it on my two previous and had no reaction. It was like getting the flu vac, might have had a sore arm for a day or two but that was it.

Thank you very much!
    Hopefully it will be the same for me :o

Advertisement