Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPS

• 03-01-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

The old trusted UPS yet again….

Yesterday I was expecting a package – all was fine or so I thought…up until 18.15.

I took a day off from work to wait for the delivery…

At 18.15 (that should have been my first clue) I get an update on the tracking system that said the below. I was quite surprised as they have delivered before many times and they were well able to find the house. I was laughing when I seen building directory as I knew there and then the driver couldn’t even be bothered to deliver. At 19.14 the tracking updates again with the same message but advising they will try and reschedule.

I rang today a couple of times to which it turns out that they might have actually lost/misplaced my package….how is that even possible? This was sort of confirmed by a supervisor who rang me back, am saying “sort of” as he wasn’t too sure either. This package left Germany on the 22nd of December 2017.

Dublin, Ireland 02/01/2018 19:14 The receiver is not listed in the building directory. We are attempting to update this information. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

02/01/2018 18:15 The receiver is not listed in the building directory. We are attempting to update this information.

I have contacted Levis to see what they can do, as I either want the package or the money back.

Any ideas what to do next? :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Contact the seller and let them chase it up. They have the contract with UPS, not you. If you don't get the item the seller will have to sort things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

Thanks I have contacted Levis. We shall see. More than likely old trusted UPS lost the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Anna2834 wrote: »
    Thanks I have contacted Levis. We shall see. More than likely old trusted UPS lost the package.

If the package has been scanned has out on road then it hasnt been lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

A little ott?

Left Friday 22nd Dec

Sat 23rd
    Sun 24th
    Christmas Day
    Stephens day

Possibly started being transported 27th, but more likely Thursday 28th.

Road service, probably got to uk Friday 29th.

Then sat 30th, sun 31st, New Year's Day 1st.

Next movement 2nd Jan and probably scheduled for delivery today.

Not lost, probably not even ðelayed.

Totally ott reaction esp the "I took day off work" comment - for a pair of Jeans??????

CeilingFly wrote: »
    A little ott?

Left Friday 22nd Dec

Sat 23rd
    Sun 24th
    Christmas Day
    Stephens day

Possibly started being transported 27th, but more likely Thursday 28th.

Road service, probably got to uk Friday 29th.

Then sat 30th, sun 31st, New Year's Day 1st.

Next movement 2nd Jan and probably scheduled for delivery today.

Not lost, probably not even ðelayed.

Totally ott reaction esp the "I took day off work" comment - for a pair of Jeans??????

Nobody mentioned expecting delivery by a date. The OP was told they were delivering or had tried to deliver and that they could no longer locate the item. Read the OP. Some of us have to be home to accept deliveries or the courier leaves with the item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

Its another example of pure laziness from couriers who couldnt be arsed delivering to residential addresses.
    I have this regularly as my address is not in a housing estate and the couriers think that it might be out in the countryside and take them ages to get there. Its actually 60 seconds of the M1 motorway and incredibly easy to find.
    Christmas week I was expecting a delivery from cork being delivered by GLS (I can screenshot the tracking info if anyone would like a laugh) and knew it was being delivered on a specific day so made sure i was in.
    That evening no delivery and tracking showed insufficient address/could not locate. I phoned straight away and made sure they had the exact address including post code although I was sure this was printed on the parcel already.
    Next day a driver rang in sick apparently?! Following day couldnt find the address again!!
    I was told that it would be easier to collect from the depot. Paid €12.50 to have the bloody thing delivered so told them to deliver it.
    Parcel arrived with a huge label on the front from the sender with my address, phone number and post code :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Homer wrote: »
    Its another example of pure laziness from couriers who couldnt be arsed delivering to residential addresses.
    I have this regularly as my address is not in a housing estate and the couriers think that it might be out in the countryside and take them ages to get there. Its actually 60 seconds of the M1 motorway and incredibly easy to find.
    Christmas week I was expecting a delivery from cork being delivered by GLS (I can screenshot the tracking info if anyone would like a laugh) and knew it was being delivered on a specific day so made sure i was in.
    That evening no delivery and tracking showed insufficient address/could not locate. I phoned straight away and made sure they had the exact address including post code although I was sure this was printed on the parcel already.
    Next day a driver rang in sick apparently?! Following day couldnt find the address again!!
    I was told that it would be easier to collect from the depot. Paid €12.50 to have the bloody thing delivered so told them to deliver it.
    Parcel arrived with a huge label on the front from the sender with my address, phone number and post code :mad:

It's not laziness its that the courier gets feck all of the €12.50 you paid for delivery. There are at least 2 companies making a profit on the delivery before its given to the courier to deliver. You might be a few minutes from the M1 but that could be a 20 minute journey each way for the driver, so even if they got the full €12.50 they wouldn't be making minimum wage after paying for the van, diesel and insurance and I can guarantee that the amount paid to the courier to deliver your parcel is way less than €9.55 and they have to pay for the van, diesel, insurance and income tax from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

With respect I couldnt give a toss how much the courier gets to deliver the parcel. I paid to have it delivered. It was given to the driver from the warehouse it is in his patch (was told this by the depot). He obviously looked at the address and thought Nah not doing that, so brought it back to the depot claiming insufficient address, despite the fact it couldnt be clearer on the front of the parcel?????

Nobody mentioned expecting delivery by a date. The OP was told they were delivering or had tried to deliver and that they could no longer locate the item. Read the OP. Some of us have to be home to accept deliveries or the courier leaves with the item.

Totally OTT - OP ASSUMED it was lost beacuse it wasn't delivered and even the tracking showed there was an error and not anything else.

My guess is the address was incorrect in some way, but as the OP has not come back I'll take it that it was delivered.

Some people just go OTT at the slightest chance. - Earliest possible delivery was 2nd, yet OP was thinking it was "lost". Hiopoefully OP never gets a delivery by Fastway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

Yes indeed it was delivered after i rang 5 times and made several complaints....happy it got to me in the end.

Someone mentioned I took a day off for a pair of jeans, yes unfortunately if I didn't it wouldn't have reached me. It was more than just a pair of jeans, there were about 7 items I was waiting for.

Thanks all for advising.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's not laziness its that the courier gets feck all of the €12.50 you paid for delivery. There are at least 2 companies making a profit on the delivery before its given to the courier to deliver. You might be a few minutes from the M1 but that could be a 20 minute journey each way for the driver, so even if they got the full €12.50 they wouldn't be making minimum wage after paying for the van, diesel and insurance and I can guarantee that the amount paid to the courier to deliver your parcel is way less than €9.55 and they have to pay for the van, diesel, insurance and income tax from that.

If they are not happy then perhaps they should look for work elsewhere? I had an issue recently where DHL returned a package as they could not find my house as it "is located in the countryside down a winding road and there are no signposts for over a mile before to offer directions." I love close to NUIG in the middle of Galway city. They had no issue the day before in finding the house. Right no I have two packages with UPS, they delivered one today and the other which was due to be delivered today as well has been rescheduled for some day between January 5 and 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

UPS really is that bad, right? I gave up using them when I was in the USA because, basically, every experience with them via their retail stores or their web presence, was bad if not disastrous. Always huge attitude in person at the shops (in CA, WA, NY, NJ, you name. Cultural hostility probably trained into them.)

Now, living in West KerryI order a valentine's day gift from an outfit in Brussels. Foolish me - couldn't tell on their web site that they used UPS till after the order was placed, but what the heck, I didn't worry about it. Order was placed to arrive by the 12th, and in fact arrived in Dublin on the 10th.

Until the package of course fails to arrive on the due date. Tried tracking - this took 2 tries as the seller's site had a bad link, but eventually I got to UPS with my 18 digit tracking number. Shows they couldn't figure out where to deliver it - apparently the address on the label didn't include "Kerry" for my county (despite my having filled it in and verified prior to ordering.)

So, then I try on UPS's site to change the address. No luck, so I call them - here's their customer service number in Dublin: 01-524-5446.

I call the number. I have to speak my 18 digit tracking number. After 3 attempts where it couldn't get all the digits right, it then lets me transfer to an agent (you might find it faster to say 'agent' or 'customer service representative' early on. Haven't tried that.) I eventually get through to a human who corrects the address and tells me they'll deliver tomorrow. Fine.

I check in on the website this a.m.. Delivery's scheduled for 10 days from now. Nice. Good old UPS customer service, tell you one thing, then do whatever the fcuk they want. I call them again. Amazingly, it understands my tracking number on only 1 slow deliberate dictation into the phone.

I get ahold of another human, and get the package rescheduled for delivery today. I did point out I get plenty of packages delivered by An Post and DHL without the county, it's not like there's more than 1 version of my townland near Tralee and it's easy to find on the map, too.
    Anyway, they claim the package will be here tomorrow. And, as a final 'UPS fcuks up again', per instructions prior to talking to the human, it said hold the line to participate in a customer service survey. So I did. They just hung up on me, though, no survey.

I'm about to call the seller and tell them just how bad it is, but I'll wait till I get the package before doing that. If the seller won't offer any other shipper than UPS, that's it, no more purchases. An Post would be cheaper, too. Or DHL, DHL is typically what works and they just bring the packages to Ireland where An Post delivers them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

This might be OT for this thread, but it is about UPS, so....

Yesterday, UPS managed to deliver a package to me while demanding an additional fee of ~€26 that was apparently payable on it. I have no idea what this fee is for. The value of the goods shipped was $20 (~€16.30) so I can't imagine it was import duty/VAT as this would be below the permissible level of €22. I did pay a shipping charge as well to the seller which was around $16. Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet package myself so I didn't get to query the delivery driver what this charge actually was.

Is there any point trying to contact UPS and querying this, or is it too late having already handed the money over?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

blastman wrote: »

Yesterday, UPS managed to deliver a package to me while demanding an additional fee of ~€26 that was apparently payable on it. I have no idea what this fee is for. The value of the goods shipped was $20 (~€16.30) so I can't imagine it was import duty/VAT as this would be below the permissible level of €22. I did pay a shipping charge as well to the seller which was around $16. Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet package myself so I didn't get to query the delivery driver what this charge actually was.

Is there any point trying to contact UPS and querying this, or is it too late having already handed the money over?

Ask UPS for a breakdown of the charges. If the shipper hasn't shown a shipping charge on the paperwork, the couriers will work off their normal tariff which is normally very high for express shipping.

Actually just looking at it, Cost plus freight would be at least $36, about €30 - VAT is over €6, plus the fee from UPS for doing the entry and paying out the VAT is probably €15.

Value of goods was $36 as value is the landed value

So as near as dammit, I paid the same again as what the item cost originally essentially for the sake of being €6 or so over the miniscule allowance. What a great system that is.

No more UPS shipments for me, that's for sure.

So as near as dammit, I paid the same again as what the item cost originally essentially for the sake of being €6 or so over the miniscule allowance. What a great system that is.

No more UPS shipments for me, that's for sure.

You knew you were purchasing outside the EU. Don't blame UPS, they don't make the rules,

We have both a letterbox and a post box but for some reason the UPS and I-Parcel lads never use it, instead they throw the packages in from the gate. Came home last night to a box set that had clearly been flung against the door and left sitting on the front step in plain view of everyone who passed. Also came home one night to this, well I say came home but that's a lie. I found it when putting the bins out, a package that had been thrown over an 8 foot wall into a puddle of water and no notification of delivery of any kind made. UPS said that it is my responsibility to check the side of my house and bins if expecting a package, the vinyl in the box was ruined, soaked through and also in pieces thanks to being thrown.

441797.jpg

You knew you were purchasing outside the EU. Don't blame UPS, they don't make the rules,

They charge ridiculous fees, I'm blaming them for that if that's all right with you

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Darko, get in touch with Amazon about that and send them that picture and ask them to re-send the damaged items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They charge ridiculous fees, I'm blaming them for that if that's all right with you

They all charge the same fees, so if you import over the allowance then you'll get hit with the fees from any delivery company if it's stopped by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

Waiting on a packsge today I see on my tracking it says something about remote are don't go there daily??? Ughhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Waiting on a packsge today I see on my tracking it says something about remote are don't go there daily??? Ughhh
    Do you live somewhere remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭buzzing147

vandriver wrote: »
    Do you live somewhere remote?

In donegal, slightly remote!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

buzzing147 wrote: »
    In donegal, slightly remote!
    The problem,as you probably can guess,is that a certain number of deliveries need to be done a day to have a viable business.
    If you live half an hour off the main route and they have nothing else going that way then it's say an hour to do your drop where 12 drops could be done for big customers in Letterkenny in the same time period.
    So I suspect that they hold remote deliveries for a few days hoping something else comes up nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

no they likely subcontract it to a local outfit (man in a white van) which likely will not deliver the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Along with repeatedly failing to deliver my parcels the same day they go out for delivery, getting to that stage of delivery seems a bit difficult for them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Nothing new there.
    I regularly get these standard excuses from UPS.

Have 5 amazon orders sent with UPS, were all supposed to be delivered today, every one of them has some kind of delay, 'incorrect sorting' 'rural address' 'wrong address' 'missed flight' 'no access code'

• Advertisement

Well thats 3 xmas presents ups have failed to deliver in time for xmas. They were in Ireland on Thursday morning, some express service....dhl delivered something to me this morning that was in Germany last night.

edit - 4

Advertisement