Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedora 26

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

See Fedora 31 is released, will see about setting up a test box at the start of Dec once the annual xmas hibernation starts at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

opus wrote: »
    See Fedora 31 is released, will see about setting up a test box at the start of Dec once the annual xmas hibernation starts at work.

Upgrading at the moment :)

We use it at work so I'll need to make sure a raft of s/w products play nice with it. Not always guaranteed. Always wait a month in any case for the first raft of patches to appear.

We use it at work so I'll need to make sure a raft of s/w products play nice with it. Not always guaranteed. Always wait a month in any case for the first raft of patches to appear.

Why Fedora over something like an ubuntu LTS?

Place is a RedHat/Centos/Fedora set up. Some of the s/w tools don't support Ubuntu as a platform.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

limnam wrote: »
    Why Fedora over something like an ubuntu LTS?
    Place is a RedHat/Centos/Fedora set up. Some of the s/w tools don't support Ubuntu as a platform.

Not to disparage deb based systems, but I started out with Red Hat 16 years ago and while I did spent about 18 months using Linux Mint, I prefer Fedora.

On the subject of Fedora again, I upgraded to 31 to see and there's no issues yet. I'll be maintaining update religiously and created my own upgrade script, because I was too lazy to sit and wait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Made the rookie mistake of attempting an upgrade to version 32. Needless to say, it didn't go well and I've since had to reinstall 31. I've learned that patience is a virtue, and I'll wait a few months before trying again.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Made the rookie mistake of attempting an upgrade to version 32. Needless to say, it didn't go well and I've since had to reinstall 31. I've learned that patience is a virtue, and I'll wait a few months before trying again.

Thought it wasn't released till tomorrow.

You were very excited! :)

Yeah. For anything important I leave it at least for a few days

As far as I'm aware, it was released on the 21st of this month, but I could be wrong. Sure look, it's a learning experience and I keep backups on Google Drive just in case a situation I've mentioned arises.

As far as I'm aware, it was released on the 21st of this month, but I could be wrong. Sure look, it's a learning experience and I keep backups on Google Drive just in case a situation I've mentioned arises.

No, It failed the Go/No go meeting due to blockers so was pushed out to the 28th. It was originally targeted for the 21st

• Advertisement

I'll give it a couple of weeks before I try again. Give them time to chance up on any problems that might arise.

Up to 32 without a hitch :)

Will still wait awhile as a few bugs may need to be ironed out.

In the office today to do a few things so grabbed a PC that was lying around to see about doing a kickstart install of F32. Thankfully looks like not much has changed over F30 as just had to update my script to reference the new release & let it off.

Needless to say whole bunch of package conflicts was the result so that's a little bit of work to sort it out.

In the office today to do a few things so grabbed a PC that was lying around to see about doing a kickstart install of F32. Thankfully looks like not much has changed over F30 as just had to update my script to reference the new release & let it off.

Needless to say whole bunch of package conflicts was the result so that's a little bit of work to sort it out.

By adding --best and --allow-erasing when updating, that should remove conflicts.

Cheers but I'm not updating anything rather a clean install via kickstart. Happens almost every time as some packages vanish from release to release. All sorted in the end, now just left with two problems the VMware Player won't install & for some reason logging in is dog slow compared to F30. But sure if everything just worked, life would be boring :)

Cheers but I'm not updating anything rather a clean install via kickstart. Happens almost every time as some packages vanish from release to release. All sorted in the end, now just left with two problems the VMware Player won't install & for some reason logging in is dog slow compared to F30. But sure if everything just worked, life would be boring :)

Is it the boot that's slow or after providing credentials?

Is it https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/boot-loading-time-is-very-high/6076 ?

Yeah but when you're running an update, the following usually provides the best update.

sudo dnf update -y --best --allow-erasing

Is it the boot that's slow or after providing credentials?

Is it https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/boot-loading-time-is-very-high/6076 ?

Never watched the boot as I set it installing during my one day a week at work. It was alive the following day when I checked in on it. The slow part is when a non-root user ssh's onto the box, it takes ~45 secs from entering a password 'til you get a prompt. It's instant on F30 so something I'll have to dig in to, it's either NIS or NFS if I had to guess.
    Yeah but when you're running an update, the following usually provides the best update.

I'm not running any update. All the packages are specified in the kickstart file for the install either as a group or individual package names. This happens every release as some package(s) that were around last time are now gone.

Not like there's any rush with this as I'll need to install it on my own PC & use it for a month or two before I'd start installing it on PC's for general use. That could well be close to Christmas!

...Not like there's any rush with this as I'll need to install it on my own PC & use it for a month or two before I'd start installing it on PC's for general use. That could well be close to Christmas!

Do you update machines remotely? If so, how do you provide remote updates?

• Advertisement

Do you update machines remotely? If so, how do you provide remote updates?

Have a local repository for such things. It's not automatic as kernel updates sometimes break the VMplayer needing a trawl of the VMware communities to see what patches people have written for the various kernel modules to allow them to compile.

It's all a bit of a moot point at the moment as the VMplayer application isn't supported on F32 so until that's in place it's a non-runner for use. A friend of mine working in VMware was telling me will probably be waiting for the next major release (16) of Player & Workstation.

You can probably see why I don't go down the road of just updating & thinking everything will be grand :)

In fact I only got rid of Fedora 13 off a few machines towards the end of last year as one group use a CAD tool that while not supported ran perfectly fine on Fedora up to 13.

Last set of updates look to have fixed the slow login to the F32 box via ssh. Testing this from home so hopefully it will behave the same on the desktop.

Just have to wait for VMware to release a compatible version of the VMPlayer now & it will be ready for some testing whenever I get back to working onsite full time.

I love how quick and fast the updates for Fedora comes. 3 years ago we were discussing 24/25/26. Now I'm humming and hawing over upgrading to 32. Might do it this weekend, after a backup in case things go to ****e again.

The "solution" to installing the VMplayer!

sh VMware-Player-15.5.6-16341506.x86_64.bundle --ignore-errors

Love that option at the end that gets it over the line, seems to work fine.

I'm going to append that option to all commands from now on ;)

Only I could fu-ck up and still have it work out for the best. I was intending on installing Linux Mint 20 to a pen drive, only problem was, during the install, I forget to select the correct drive. Any way, my machine is now running Mint. Thank fu-ck for backing up to dropbox.

Wife is without a laptop for now, so she has her own user account. So I'll revert to Fedora 32 this weekend or next.

Is it just me, or does Fedora 32 look a little more polished than the previous version.

Is it just me, or does Fedora 32 look a little more polished than the previous version.

Bit more fancy looking on gnome anyway

The ssh connection I use looks pretty much the same :P

When I get back to spending more time in the office, I'll re-install my desk PC to check it out.

Made the huge jump from F30 finally :) Nothing much to report everything seems to work, only bit of effort involved was getting kickstart to work with the uefi bios on the PC's so had to tweak a few things from the F30 script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Made the huge jump from F30 finally :) Nothing much to report everything seems to work, only bit of effort involved was getting kickstart to work with the uefi bios on the PC's so had to tweak a few things from the F30 script.

What spec PC are you using it on?

Advertisement