Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fedora 26

• 17-10-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭

Seeing as there was a thread about F25, thought I'd stick one up about F26!

Figured I'd waited along enough so swapped over to it for my desktop at work. All seems to be ok apart from the inevitable problems with VMware's VMplayer product but as always a klude was available on the forums which got me up and running.

Anyone else using it or has everyone already moved on to the beta of F27 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

I've been using it since it came out on multiple systems, including my main home and work PCs. No issues at all; smooth sailing from day one. All systems were upgraded from F25 with dnf system-upgrade.

I haven't done a fresh install, but I can't imagine there would be much difference at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

It's all working ok for me apart from Evolution hangs for a while quite regularly, seen one or two others report the same thing (which didn't happen on F25). This is my work PC so use Evolution a fair bit to talk to MS Exchange as you might imagine.

Apart from that I had to stick in softlink to an SSL lib to get viber to work but otherwise the PC is behaving grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

opus wrote: »
    S
    All seems to be ok apart from the inevitable problems with VMware's VMplayer

It seems to be ok as long as you don't use wayland

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

My last machine broke and it was running Fedora 25. I loved it, but I'm having awful problems dual booting my machine.

And a year later I've moved onto testing Fedora 28, so far so good. Figure it's fine to install it on any new desktop PC's for people.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    And a year later I've moved onto testing Fedora 28, so far so good. Figure it's fine to install it on any new desktop PC's for people.

tbh most fedora releases are ready for "home" use shortly after GA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Reminds me. I seriously need to invest in a PC and run Fedora or Mint, or dual boot both.

Time goes by & I've just done my first kickstart install of Fedora 30 as aiming to have that one new PC's going to desks shortly. Skipped F29 as don't want to be changing every six months.

Yeah it's been a while since this thread was started. I haven't used Fedora in ages as a dual boot OS. Windows 10 is a pain in the ass to try and install along side.

I might buy a new machine soon for the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rayzercork

last one i tried was 28 with xfce, was a really nice distro for once. the early 20s were a disaster stability wise

• Advertisement

Think I started with 20 or 22. Haven't had a chance to try the latest release.

Was reading that v30 is probably going to stick around for a year rather than v31 coming out in six months. Suits me fine as it will get updates for longer.

This a new schedule for future releases?

Or just for F30?

Looks like 31 is still scheduled for October

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/31/Schedule

This was the article I read a few weeks back but see it's been updated to say 31 isn't going to be delayed after all. Had to check to make sure I wasn't going insane :)

F30 has been flawless so far on my own PC so going to bite the bullet & put it onto a user's PC today.

Bit the bullet and purged Windows 10 from my laptop in favour of Fedora 30. Had to go buy a patch cable. Having problems connecting to the wireless and have been searching for a solution as the adapter can't be found.

Anyone else have the same issue and a work around? I had this problem before and no issue resolving it, but since I now have a new machine and version of Fedora, I'm tearing the rest of my hair out trying to fix it.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and purged Windows 10 from my laptop in favour of Fedora 30. Had to go buy a patch cable. Having problems connecting to the wireless and have been searching for a solution as the adapter can't be found.

Anyone else have the same issue and a work around? I had this problem before and no issue resolving it, but since I now have a new machine and version of Fedora, I'm tearing the rest of my hair out trying to fix it.

Which card/chipset is it?

AMD A9, Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.

Now that I have the wireless card info, I might be able to get a driver for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a go.

Will go over that soon, but I'm using USB tethering at the moment, so I have a temporary fix I'm happy to use for now.

Have just installed Fedora 30 off a DVD from a Linux Format Mag unto a Lenovo T540.

How's it running for you? I quite like it, but I'm previously mentioned my only grievance with it.

Too early to tell. Need to get all the updates installed, it only has the DVD installed stuff yet. few more days..let's say next week for my report here.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    How's it running for you? I quite like it, but I'm previously mentioned my only grievance with it.

Did you attempt the potential fix above?

I tried it and everything in between.

My own review will be somewhat delayed. A ram chip installed by the repair shop (pm me if interested) is either bad or incorrectly inserted. This is causing machine to freeze at random intervals. Needs a visit to different repair shop I've two in mind to choose from)

• Advertisement

Was a little lazy until now in resolving the missing wireless driver issue. Was a simple case of:
    • sudo dnf install dkms
    • git clone the repo and unzip it.
    • Ensure the directory is named "rtl8821ce"
    • cd ../rtl8821ce/
    • sudo ./dkms-install.sh

Should do the trick.

Advertisement