Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DPD Parcel Wizard - DPD Pickup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

trixiebust wrote: »
    Me three

Probably overloaded with the attention from Boards. Give it an hour & try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

If Amazon start delivering to Ireland it will put all of these places out of business,i use parcel motel a lot this new one will be just another option,and also couldn't they have come up with a better name!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If Amazon start delivering to Ireland it will put all of these places out of business,i use parcel motel a lot this new one will be just another option,and also couldn't they have come up with a better name!

When did they ever NOT deliver to Ireland?

Fine, they won't send liquids like perfumes and some other random stuff, won't even send it to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Amazon already deliver to Ireland. They offer free delivery if you order >€25. The only drawback is they charge the higher rate of Irish VAT, which can make a bit of a difference on more expensive orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Amazon already deliver to Ireland. They offer free delivery if you order >€25. The only drawback is they charge the higher rate of Irish VAT, which can make a bit of a difference on more expensive orders.

They dont deliver everything to Ireland or the marketplace sellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

What exactly makes them Parcel Wizards though?

I understand Parcel Motel, a motel is a small place you stay for a short time. Or where your Parcels stays in this case.

What forms of wizardry will DPD cast over our parcels to justify such a bold name?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What forms of wizardry will DPD cast over our parcels to justify such a bold name?

They shall wave a magic wand and:

Sign for it and feck it in your wheelie bin
    Bang on every neighbours door until somebody takes it
    Leave you a cranky voicemail wondering why you're not at home
    Not deliver it and only let you collect it at a depot miles from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bk wrote: »
    Cheaper prices.

Delivery to your door.

I think there were two types of people using PM:

1) Those who couldn't get deliveries at work
    2) Those who could get deliveries at home/work, but some UK companies don't deliver to Ireland.

I fall into group 2 and I expect many if not most fall into this group. Overnight these people are obviously going to shift over to the more convenient PW service that will deliver UK packages to their door.

what makes you think that so many people fall into category 2?
    just because people might be at home at some times during 9-5 mon-fri doesn't mean they can guarantee to be at home at the exact time of delivery.
    and I'd expect businesses that allow delivery of packages to employees of items for personal use to be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

NATLOR wrote: »
    For me better delivery options, my nearest PM locker is a 20km round trip

Same! Over 80km round trip for me to a PM locker and they always arrived Sat morning and removed on the Monday before I could get to it.... A real pain....

Parcel Connect is only a few kms away and never arrives on a weekend so handy as I pass it on the way to work.
    This other Parcel Wizard option is also very handy if I happen to get a delivery when I'm away, as I can get it to a neighbours instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well I honestly don't think PM will have to worry about full lockers in future if they keep prices at €4 with all the new, much better competition from PW, PC and An Post.
    All Horses for Courses really pick the one that's best for you and let's hope competition drives down prices.

PW/DPD would be handy if you can get delivered to work or have someone at home most of the day.
    PC is handy for me because it's within walking distance and my nearest PM is 5 traffic lights away.

The An Post boxes are €69.99 ?
    The internal dimensions should allow for the storage of a package 37cm long, 25cm high and 16.5cm wide.

• Advertisement

Are you supposed to mount that An Post box on your premises?

I just let my postman sign for my stuff for me and hide it. :D He only lives around the corner after all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

Even with all these companies, we still cant get liquids delivered from Amazon such as perfumes etc. Is there any company that has an address in the UK midlands that would deliver it a depot here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Even with all these companies, we still cant get liquids delivered from Amazon such as perfumes etc. Is there any company that has an address in the UK midlands that would deliver it a depot here?

Why can't you use PM. Delivery within the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Well I honestly don't think PM will have to worry about full lockers in future if they keep prices at €4 with all the new, much better competition from PW, PC and An Post.

Some people will remain blindly loyal to Parcel Motel, regardless of convenience or price. Not me mind, but some will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Why can't you use PM. Delivery within the UK.

They wont deliver liquids outside UK mainland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Berty wrote: »
    I just let my postman sign for my stuff for me and hide it. :D i text him and ask him am I getting warmer, sometimes it takes me days to find my package. :D

Well that's not very professional!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

Ya tried registering and the error message is coming up for me too...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

foxy_j wrote: »

Ditto, for past hour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Its stupid to say people will remain blindly loyal to Parcel Motel. As countless people have pointed out its whatever suits people, not everyone prefer or can get it delivered to their house. I like the no frills, not having to wait around for a delivery of PM. I might get some things with Parcel Wizard but its hardly just going to suddenly take over. It won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

I couldn't register either, so it must be a problem with their website. I'll try again tomorrow maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

same problem here with registration :

Error occurred, please try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Not a great start really. Nor is it a good sign of how seriously they're taking this new service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

DPD from my experience are f****ing brutal.

My house is quite hidden though far from remote, I can see the M1 one field away. They deliver minimum one package per week, and it's always the same two drivers.

Yet when it's due it rarely comes, I ring, and they tell me there was an issue with the address........

Then when the driver calls me the next day, he says 'that's the house with the lab yeah?'.

I only use them because they're the company my supplier uses.

Parcel motel every time for me, mail me when it's in transit, mail me a photo of the package waiting comfortably on a sofa, and then a mail when it's in it's box, having a kip.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I think the big attraction of parcelmotel for most people is that they can pick their parcel up when it suits them instead of taking time off or having to go to some depot. The UK address was helpful too.
    All DPD does, is creating a UK address for you.
    Nice, but about 10 years too late.

35c796c557ad5f99f4d9a1574fe703b5.png

Missing the point about that dpd, missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

inforfun wrote: »
    I think the big attraction of parcelmotel for most people is that they can pick their parcel up when it suits them instead of taking time off or having to go to some depot. The UK address was helpful too.
    All DPD does, is creating a UK address for you.
    Nice, but about 10 years too late.

35c796c557ad5f99f4d9a1574fe703b5.png

Missing the point about that dpd, missing the point.

Not really, the shipping cost direct to Ireland from UK on the majority of items on eBay is ridiculous. I'd much prefer to have them delivered to home/work instead of taking my lunch break or time after work to go pick up. For me, that's the whole point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Muahahaha wrote: »
    DPD/Parcel Wizard are offering 3 free deliveries for new users between now and the end of the year. Its like Parcel Motel except they deliver to your house instead of a locker.

Should be of use for the Xmas shopping next month.

https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/UK-Virtual-Address

Also their price of €3.85 to deliver to your door is pretty competitive given Parcel Motel charge €3.90 and you have to pick it up yourself. Good to see some competition in the market for this type of service.

brillant Thank you for sharing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

foxy_j wrote: »

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hoboo wrote: »
    'that's the house with the lab yeah?'.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not really, the shipping cost direct to Ireland from UK on the majority of items on eBay is ridiculous. I'd much prefer to have them delivered to home/work instead of taking my lunch break or time after work to go pick up. For me, that's the whole point of it.

Of course it is, never said it wasnt. Delivery to Ireland is either not an option or it cost more than the budget for SW per year.

PM has the uk address and the pick it up at your convenience.
    Deliveries at work never worked for me. Having a foreign name in Ireland doesnt help the mailroom or the reception to contact me when something is delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

'An Error Occurred' still.

Advertisement