Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    OR!!!!! As some ancient astronaut theorsists believe... ancient carvings of Turtles represent modern day fighter jets!

Funny you should say that...I was at an airshow once, and as I watched an F-16 blast down the flightline at full afterburner I thought..."Wow...it could almost be a real turtle..." ;)

Stork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

The wow signal found in space in the 70s that has never been found since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The Portuguese traveller Antonio de Montezinos brought back reports that some of the Lost Tribes were living among the Native Americans of the Andes in South America. In response to this, Menasseh ben Israel, a noted rabbi of Amsterdam, wrote on December 23, 1649:
    ... I think that the Ten Tribes live not only there ... but also in other lands scattered everywhere; these never did come back to the Second Temple and they keep till this day still the Jewish Religion ...

I think that may help explain the hebrew carving in Rio
    Why would Jewish people be making inscriptions about the Phoenicians, and leave not a trace of themselves? :confused:

Forgery sounds like a pretty convincing explanation I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

storker wrote: »
    OR!!!!! As some ancient astronaut theorsists believe... ancient carvings of Turtles represent modern day fighter jets!

Funny you should say that...I was at an airshow once, and as I watched an F-16 blast down the flightline at full afterburner I thought..."Wow...it could almost be a real turtle..." ;)

Stork
    Yes , one can observe the turtlesque features of fighter jet quite easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

lol bugs bunny...

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

The Portuguese traveller Antonio de Montezinos brought back reports that some of the Lost Tribes were living among the Native Americans of the Andes in South America. In response to this, Menasseh ben Israel, a noted rabbi of Amsterdam, wrote on December 23, 1649:
    ... I think that the Ten Tribes live not only there ... but also in other lands scattered everywhere; these never did come back to the Second Temple and they keep till this day still the Jewish Religion ...

I think that may help explain the hebrew carving in Rio
    Why would Jewish people be making inscriptions about the Phoenicians, and leave not a trace of themselves? :confused:

Forgery sounds like a pretty convincing explanation I think.
    my only concern is how did the Jews cross the atlantic ... Unless they went northwest from Europe and traveled down north america and arrived in central American or north America like in the book of mormon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

The Taman Shud one is baffling

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The Crawford Family Murder. I read a book about it when I lived in Australia, and always wondered what became of the father.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_family_murder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gillington wrote: »
    The Taman Shud one is baffling
    This was just 3 years after the end of WWII , millions of people displaced, start of cold war, lots of peoples looking for a new ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

The Ummo UFO affair is a weird one, even for an elaborate hoax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The Murder of Isidor Fink

Classic locked-room mystery. Fink was found shot dead but there was no gun in the room, the door was locked from the inside and there was no other way to leave the room.
    I always loved using this in my English-language classes to get people discussing it.

Though the murder was never solved, police later came up with an explanation that's generally accepted as what happened, though no-one knows why Fink would have been murdered.

What probably happened...
    The murderer knocked on the door, Fink answered and the murderer stayed in the hallway while shooting Fink through the open doorway, then ran away. Then (the least plausible part), the dying Fink managed to lock the door before he died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What probably happened...
    The murderer knocked on the door, Fink answered and the murderer stayed in the hallway while shooting Fink through the open doorway, then ran away. Then (the least plausible part), the dying Fink managed to lock the door before he died.

I would have said the murderer rang the door bell, Fink came to the hall and was shot through the letter box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The Higgs-Boson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Will whoever's watching Fair City please stop. RTÉ are making more shows because of you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumont_children_disappearance

Maybe not for the squeamish given the main suspect Bevan Spencer von Einems claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Flight 19 disappeared in 1945 off the coast of Miami on a clear day and what really gets me is one of the rescue planes sent out to look for them also vanished with out a trace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I always wondered about the Philadelphia Experiment. Definitely sounds like something the US military would of been messing around with during WW2.

Not a mystery but its also mad what they got up to in Project Mkultra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

Not a mystery but its also mad what they got up to in Project Mkultra

Mad alright.

Near 35 years ago. Imagine the technology & techniques that they are using now...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

i had never heard of the dyatlov pass incident or the boy in box . the boy in the box is sad and tragic but the dyatlov pass is down right scary

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

UVB-76
    UVB-76 (sometimes referred to as UZB-76, but recently MDZhB) is the call sign of a shortwave radio station that usually broadcasts on the frequency 4625 kHz (AM suppressed lower sideband). It is known among radio listeners by the nickname The Buzzer. It features a short, monotonous buzz tone, repeating at a rate of approximately 25 tones per minute, for 24 hours per day. The station has been observed since around 1982. On rare occasions, the buzzer signal is interrupted and a voice transmission in Russian takes place. Despite much speculation, the actual purpose of this station remains unknown to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

9/11
    The brinks allied robbery
    Shells backhanders to Bertie and Ray Burke in the 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The Mary Celeste is a good one. Madeleine McCann is another.

JonBenet Ramsay murder...who wrote the ransom note? Was it the mother?

Growing up, the story of the missing Beaumont children always scared me. Probably not heard of so much over here.

i had never heard of the dyatlov pass incident or the boy in box . the boy in the box is sad and tragic but the dyatlov pass is down right scary

My sentiments exactly.

I'd not heard of either, but that Dyatlov Pass case is really, really disturbing. Why the hell would they head off out into the cold in their underwear... and the tongue. What the hell? :eek:

Very interesting thread this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

smash wrote: »
    I would have said the murderer rang the door bell, Fink came to the hall and was shot through the letter box?

Ooh, that's a good theory. I don't know if the door had a letterbox or not (might have had one of the American-style outdoor ones, but if it did have a letterbox that'd be a good explanation.

Not sure if this youtube link of the Dyatlov Pass case has been posted, but worth a look if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ZtkPOBhPE

This is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pp6POvlER4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Spear wrote: »

Maybe not for the squeamish given the main suspect Bevan Spencer von Einems claims.

Awful, specially the death of poor Richard Kelvin (linked article). Poor kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

smash wrote: »

Or, the murderer had a key to the room. Was sitting in the room when Fink arrived home, shot him, walked over the body, and locked the door on his way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Or, the murderer had a key to the room. Was sitting in the room when Fink arrived home, shot him, walked over the body, and locked the door on his way out.
    Door was locked from the inside though? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Door was locked from the inside though? :confused:

But, what does locked from the inside actually mean? A dead bolt or a chain? You can unchain a door using a long sturdy object. A dead bolt during this time may have easily been opened with a slim instrument sliding between the bolt and the catch. I've managed to unlock a few doors that were technically locked from the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Philip Kearns - wonder what ever happened to him, poor kid

Advertisement