Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Good Kit/Tips Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Black electrical tape...yeah think you mentioned that.:D

Question: Since when has para or shock cord been known as idiot cord?? Really showing my age now.....Oh yeah, black electrical tape guys..... and bungies, couple of black cable ties wouldn't go astray.

Good list that Skyhawk, very comprehensive for a longish stint.

Two pairs of boots????? don't think so.

Oh yeah Black electriacal tape..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It's only referred to as idiot cord if it's used to tie essential items to your smock, other than that its paracord. Except when it's being used as comms cable. Damn comms cable, took me years to figure out it was just a length of string....grumble grumble mutter.

Black nasty is also essential.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

What's all this talk of tissue and toilet roll?

I haven't once been able to **** while out on the ground, the ration packs block me up :p

concussion wrote: »

Black nasty is also essential.... :D

Cept for persec, or spechul people, only thing is all my mates would recognise my bonse from a mile away anyway, nasty or no nasty.
    Poccington wrote: »

I haven't once been able to **** while out on the ground, the ration packs block me up :p

Have to say fondly remenber my first.....what a relief.:eek: That was a mighty big hole.:rolleyes:

Must remember the black insulting tape.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Poccington wrote: »

Very true I've only ever had to twice! But after a few days in a trench I had the best ol poo I've ever had. Felt like some-one filled my stomach with helium afterwards.

Those brown biccies can stuff you up something awful, knew one lad who couldn't bring himself evacuate the bowels when out on the ground so he stuffed himself with arrett!

And back on topic. I've seen particularly hygenic people using those little sprays of hand washy stuff they use in hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

............REMEMBER.....................just because u put whitener in it..........................doesnt mean it cools it down!!!!!.....OUCH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Don't worry about it Pocc was only returning the banter.

Yeah i'll put it up it'll be copied from where i found it any problems take it down.

On body; (all year round,except in very warm weather)Smock.
    Top right pocket; issue spoon with hole drilled in handle to take idiot cord.
    lifeboat whistle c/w idiot cord(louder than pea whistle and wetproof)
    Shemag (if not worn)
    (I now carry this in my daysack 18/8/07)
    Top left pocket ; silva type 4 compass(mills and degrees)c/w idiot cord
    Tac cards and orders book(tam is too bulky so i take out what i need)
    amn/cas cards
    waterproof notebook c/w pencils,chinagraphs,stabilo pens,eraser and
    sharpener.
    btm right pocket; Fingerless leather gloves.
    toilet paper(waterproofed)
    btm left pkt; Issue boonie hat(i have two ,bought one and cut out the lining for
    summer use)
    maglight torch c/w red filters and two spare btys(idiot corded)
    right sleeve pkt; ffd c/w surgical gloves and waterproofed.
    (ditched the gloves,if wounded they wont think of em in the rush 18/8/07)
    left sleeve pkt; handiwipes
    inside pkt; spare trouser twisties/lens cloth(for sights&goggles)

Pants pkts; as little as possible as heavy weight on the legs slow your movement.
    Maps at most.No map cases,just a good ziploc bag.Lighter and easier to use.

cefo/combat vest ; ammo etc
    full water bottle and issue metal mug c/w small ziploc of puritabs.
    (elastic band around mug handle to stop rattling)
    rifle cleaning kit(basic oil ,pullthrough etc)
    small immediate first aid kit(triangular bandages,plasters,tampons etc)
    petzl taktica headtorch(v.small c/w red filter for writing patrol reports )
    (have moved this to daysack 18/8/07)
    spare btys for torches and prr(taped in twos by size)
    (now in daysack)
    mozzie repellant (lifesystems 100% deet.Issue rep only attracts them!)
    mozzie head net
    roll of black electrical tape
    leatherman
    spare ffd(waterproofed)
    gps unit (waterproofed)
    flexicufs and pw tagsx 2
    pacecounter tied clipped to left shoulder strap.
    marconi prr (left shoulder,when issued)
    spare toilet paper(2 packets in ziploc bag)
    (daysack now)
    50 metres of paracord
    (daysack,not needed unless static i.e harbours/ambushes)
    cyalumes(2 red/two green)for casualties,room clearing etc
    mini binos.(smaller and lighter than issue ones)
    small bag of boiled sweets.

shoot and scoot bag(daysack);

All mission essential items when not in use i.e nve ,radios ,btys maps etc
    reserve ammo.
    goggles(if not on helmet) c/w spare lens)
    tam part one(in lid pocket)
    1x spare socks and footpowder(emergency use only)
    emergency ration/brew kit (tea ,sugar .etc,chocolate 1x boil in the bag and 4 hexi tbs )
    issue waterproof jacket

bag is lined with a dry bag,All items ziplocked.if going on a long patrol from basecamp i pack my camelbak and a cold weather top.

bergan;
    top pkt outer; secatuers,2x sandbags,cyalumes.
    top pkt inner; wash and shave kit c/w camp towel
    small polish brush,polish,spare laces,spare twisties.
    spare torch bty x2
    any other small items.

main compartment;(lined with drybag)

waterproof pants(at btm of pack as seldom used)
    laundry bag
    sleeping bag inside bivvi bag(stored in a waterproofed stuff bag)c/w makralon skip cap
    snugpack sleeka jacket(if not worn)

left side pouch;(lined)
    dpm pants(tropical cos they are lighter)
    long driflo top and btm(not carried during summer months)
    driflo shortsx1/driflo t-shirt x1
    dpm shirt(only worn in basecamp during summer months)
    5x spare socks and bag of footpowder.
    spare boonie hat
    waterproof gloves .

right side pouch,
    large tupperware box to hold 48hrs rations(ration pack stripped down to what i WILL eat)
    issue thermal mug
    small gas stove(used to use hexi but too slow)c/w spare lighter in ziploc bag
    peltors(if not in daysack or worn)

behind right side pouch; issue folding entrenching tool in a o.g plce cover.

front pouch; issue basha,cords attached/7 metal pegs (wrapped in elastic band to avoid noise).

Thats the lot.I know alot of you will ask why pack the spate clothes and
    rations in the side pouches?Simple.I use my daysack not rockets(too fiddly and small) thus i dont remove them from pack.I can access my spare kit without having to rummage thru everything else.All items are close to hand esp. rations.Also if rations break you dont have food all over your spare kit.You are also keeping soiled clothes away from food you will eat.By doing this i dont need to carry a rocket pouch harness either.It also reduces the height of the main pack thus allowing me to easily stow daysack under lid whilst tabbing.biggrin.gif
    oh i forgot the kipmat is carried as described in one of my previous posts.Body armour when issued and not worn(ON TABS) would be carried under lid also.

That's what I follow. As I said any priblems over me copying it take it down.

Copied from Apod's post on IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I'm just reading this thread out of interest and saw someone suggested cycling shorts. Good idea as the material dries quickly. You can also get leg warmers, knee warmers, arm warmers, in both summer and winter material. Not cheap but will last forever. Almost zero weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

Can anyone recommend a good multitool?

This is what I have. It's decent and cheap enough. Got it for €13 in army rip-offs. The blade on the knife is really sharp too! I cut myself with it by accident during camp last year. Nearly took a chunk off my finger!

• Advertisement

Any one out there that can't get dry-flo and is sick of cotton t-shirts get the FOREST GREEN underarmour t-shirts. I have two of them and they're great. You can't get them in the shops to follow the links.

You're better off getting a few of them or get them with someone else casue it'll work out cheaper in the end.

T-shirt

Longsleeve T-shirt

Thicker Longsleeve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

prob a silly question but here goes, does anybody know how to fit a poncho roll to plce (british) webbing, photos would be nice, i can get it fitted but it just does not look right

58 pattern webbing or PLCE?

For 58 pattern, you set the waist belt up so that the d-rings point down. These are the attachment points for the poncho roll.

For PLCE, you set the waist belt up so the d-rings point up. These are the attachment ponts for the yoke as there is no provision for carrying the poncho roll on this system.
    I'm sure you can rig something up with bungees but I don't see the point, just chuck it in your backpack - there's no need to be assaulting enemy positions with your poncho hanging off you.

concussion wrote: »
    I'm sure you can rig something up with bungees but I don't see the point, just chuck it in your backpack - there's no need to be assaulting enemy positions with your poncho hanging off you.

Yeah never quite saw the point in that. SIA used to be like watching a whole load bucking broncos, with ponchos bouncing up and down knocking the arse off themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

point taken poncho roll binned

Aaarrgh, that photo should have a warning on it!! My eyes!!! :p

I knew some of you would appreciate that. Or not!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pogmo86

I just pack a Sherper does the job nocely :)

Pity most of us don't come from posh units that hire people to carry pur kit for us!:p The rest of us go by what you pack you carry not what I pack you carry.

P.S. What unit are you in I might like a transfer?:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pogmo86

Ha Combat Service Support unit of course ! Highly recommended. Did enough years of humping around kit on courses and exercises. Have a two wheel trolley now that old people use for shopping to carry my kit ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Hi lads,

I need chinagraph (or grease) pencils for writing on laminated pages (on short notice thus interweb is out) for the weekend???

any idea where I can get them in town?

Im working up on stephens green at minute.

any help is appreciated.

Try an art and hobby shop if places like Easons don't have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Morphéus wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I need chinagraph (or grease) pencils for writing on laminated pages (on short notice thus interweb is out) for the weekend???

any idea where I can get them in town?

Im working up on stephens green at minute.

any help is appreciated.

O' Sullivans on Wexford Street mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Here's a good tip for your tea or coffee. Get your hands on some soya milk, its long last and depending on what brand you buy it doesnt matter if its warm. It tastes a hell of a lot better than the whitener and it cools the tea down a bit :)

Bring Oxo cubes with you...much easier and more satisfying than tea or coffee.

Good call on the soya, UHT milk in cartons could be good too....if you can put it in something crushproof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Gucci-est shovel ever made, ever.

That was so mundane for the first 1.30 or so...great drills after that!!!! I want :D

(having said that, I'd like to see him try dig-in in the middle of a Coillte forest)

I'm sold, its got a bottle opener!!!

• Advertisement

That shovel is the shizness! Love the indiana jonesesque music!!

Advertisement