27-01-2021, 08:20   #2281
Wanderer41

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGaggs View Post
Could you just do a SEPA transfer?
I just tried that, but AIB doesn't recognise the IBAN as Irish. From googling to seems you now need a card reader to add money from AIB to Revolut, which I don't have and don't have access to. So frustrating as I really need to add money to Revolut.
Advertisement
27-01-2021, 08:57   #2282
scary

I just transferred from my AIB account to revolut without issues.
27-01-2021, 09:00   #2283
McGaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer41 View Post
I just tried that, but AIB doesn't recognise the IBAN as Irish. From googling to seems you now need a card reader to add money from AIB to Revolut, which I don't have and don't have access to. So frustrating as I really need to add money to Revolut.
Isn't it illegal not to allow SEPA transfers?
27-01-2021, 09:02   #2284
_Brian

Have Revolut and the app on iPhone.

Occasionally in the phone Revolut pops up as of it were to be used as tap payment.

I’ve no idea how this appears, (big thick farmers fingers).

How does this work, can I use this for tap payments.
27-01-2021, 09:05   #2285
Mongfinder General

Quote:
Isn't it illegal not to allow SEPA transfers?
How are Revolut able to operate here without an Irish banking licence?
Advertisement
27-01-2021, 09:25   #2286
Spocker
Buying the internet, one box at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer41 View Post
For Revolut you can either use the GB or LT IBANs to make the transfer, neither of which are Irish. AIB require a card reader to complete international (including Eurozone) SEPA transfers, theres no way around that unfortunately. If you can borrow someone elses card reader, just use that
27-01-2021, 09:38   #2287
McGaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongfinder General View Post
How are Revolut able to operate here without an Irish banking licence?
They aren't a bank. They operate here under a Lithuanian emoney licence.
Thanks from:
27-01-2021, 11:03   #2288
Mongfinder General

Quote:
They aren't a bank. They operate here under a Lithuanian emoney licence.
That’s an e money licence, not a banking licence. Payment Institutions are not allowed to receive deposits or other repayable funds from the public and must use funds exclusively to provide payment services.

They do not offer bank accounts as they are not authorised to received deposits.

So the question remains - how are Revolut operating the services that they provide in Ireland without a banking licence?
27-01-2021, 11:41   #2289
Yggr of Asgard

Quote:
That’s an e money licence, not a banking licence. Payment Institutions are not allowed to receive deposits or other repayable funds from the public and must use funds exclusively to provide payment services.

They do not offer bank accounts as they are not authorised to received deposits.

So the question remains - how are Revolut operating the services that they provide in Ireland without a banking licence?
What service do you think is revolt offering in Ireland that is not covered by their electronic money license?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-01-2021, 11:45   #2290
pleasant Co.
delightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
Have Revolut and the app on iPhone.

Occasionally in the phone Revolut pops up as of it were to be used as tap payment.

I’ve no idea how this appears, (big thick farmers fingers).

How does this work, can I use this for tap payments.

You must have set up apple pay with your revolut card.
27-01-2021, 11:55   #2291
Mongfinder General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggr of Asgard View Post
What service do you think is revolt offering in Ireland that is not covered by their electronic money license?
Receiving deposits. Surely that’s what is happening in practice in order to facilitate payment for goods and services? Am I missing something that enables them to operate in the way they do here?
27-01-2021, 12:02   #2292
Yggr of Asgard

Quote:
Receiving deposits. Surely that’s what is happening in practice in order to facilitate payment for goods and services? Am I missing something that enables them to operate in the way they do here?
Yes the fact that when you send them € they convert it into Revolut electronic money which is hold in their wallet.

And when you spend money with the card or cash out via transfer they convert that shiny Revolut money back onto what ever fiat currency you are spending.

Same as loads of other electronic money companies.

Which is why holding money in your Revolut wallet (not bank account) is covered by different rules and hence not guaranteed by the bank guarantee scheme but a rather complicated safe guarding process.

That is unless you are a customer in Lithuania or Poland and you have an account with Revolut Bank.
27-01-2021, 13:31   #2293
leck

I'm in Ireland. I top up my Revolut account using a BoI debit card.

I have a Chase checking account in the US. Can I transfer funds from that to my Revolut account? When I go to Add Money->Easy bank transfer, the only options listed are AIB, BoI, PTSB, Ulster Bank.
27-01-2021, 13:51   #2294
Yggr of Asgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leck View Post
I'm in Ireland. I top up my Revolut account using a BoI debit card.

I have a Chase checking account in the US. Can I transfer funds from that to my Revolut account? When I go to Add Money->Easy bank transfer, the only options listed are AIB, BoI, PTSB, Ulster Bank.
EU customers do not get an US local bank account for transfers and ACH also does not work.

Options are
Wire transfer to the LT IBAN in $ which is expensive
Use the Chase Debit Card directly
Use the Chase Debit Card via Apple Pay

Or get a transfer wise borderless account, a local US transfer to it via ACH and than throw it over to Revolut which is both costly and time consuming.

Or using your SSN and Us address create US Revolut account, load that and transfer to your EU Revolut account
Thanks from:
27-01-2021, 13:52   #2295
markc1184

After each top up I'm getting a prompt to link my bank account. Is the any benefit to having the account linked rather than my card?

Also, I keep getting daily notifications about the price of gold and silver. I've nothing selected in either of those in my commodities section. Is there a way to stop these notifications?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion