Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

James Corden and Straight Actors in Gay Roles

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What's wrong with being camp? A lot of gay men are camp. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing in the world wrong with being camp. But not all gay men are camp and not all camp men are gay. Camp does seem to be the go to depiction of gay men on screen though. I can't remember the lsst time, or any time, I've seen a fictional, camp, straight character.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I can't remember the lsst time, or any time, I've seen a fictional, camp, straight character.
    'Happy Endings' skewered this quite nicely. In the series, it was one of the straight guys who was into his hand creams and more camp than the gay character, who was a bit of a slob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Is it really acceptable for a straight man to put on a camp voice? I'm not so sure, it's a bit like blackface.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Well we are talking about front of camera roles really.

It's not just romcoms. There's a Hollywood actor who in the last few years is becoming a go to action guy who I know for a fact is gay. This actor is relatively regularly photographed "dating" up and coming female actresses. Now maybe he doesn't want to be open about his sexuality for personal reasons but seems far more likely he believes it would harm his career.

Then there's that Luke Evans guy who tried to go back into the closet when he started becomijg Hollywood famous even though he'd been completely open about his sexuality while being a jobbing actor in the UK.

There is no way there is a level playing field for gay and straight actors when it comes to non-gay roles.

Well that's an old one, gays pretending to be straight. Especially men. But these days who would want to come out because you'd just get labelled an 'lgbt' actor, prolly never get a straight role again, or find it much harder. It would be hard to stay out of lgbt politics which they may have no interest in whatsoever. There is a difference between being in the closet and keeping yourself private. Look at Danial Day Lewis for example, very rarely does interviews and you'd never in a million years see him get involved in societal causes like climate change.

The TV/Movie industry is awash with gay people who are all involved in the creative process. Especially in the make up and design part of things. The question is do gay ppl get refused acting roles because they are gay and I would say absolutely not. I think if gays are not suitable for some roles that's just tough luck in exactly the same way your body type will affect whether you get a role or not, that's the kind of industry it is. A Chinese person is never going to get the role of James bond is he. Just tough luck imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well that's an old one, gays pretending to be straight. Especially men. But these days who would want to come out because you'd just get labelled an 'lgbt' actor, prolly never get a straight role again, or find it much harder. It would be hard to stay out of lgbt politics which they may have no interest in whatsoever. There is a difference between being in the closet and keeping yourself private. Look at Danial Day Lewis for example, very rarely does interviews and you'd never in a million years see him get involved in societal causes like climate change.

The TV/Movie industry is awash with gay people who are all involved in the creative process. Especially in the make up and design part of things. The question is do gay ppl get refused acting roles because they are gay and I would say absolutely not. I think if gays are not suitable for some roles that's just tough luck in exactly the same way your body type will affect whether you get a role or not, that's the kind of industry it is. A Chinese person is never going to get the role of James bond is he. Just tough luck imo.

What roles do you think gay people might not be suitable for and why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

[quote="Sardonicat;115617890" I can't remember the lsst time, or any time, I've seen a fictional, camp, straight character.[/quote]

Schmidt in New Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

AllForIt wrote: »
    A Chinese person is never going to get the role of James bond is he. Just tough luck imo.

Society changes and evolves. I'm pretty sure a black man wouldn't have been a serious contender for Bond years ago yet Idris Elba was recently tipped to become the next James Bond.

I've no problem with straight actors playing gay characters or gay actors playing straight characters. Dallas Buyers Club, Brokeback Mountain and God's Own Country had exceptional performances by straight actors playing the gay characters in them. Many gay actors such as Matt Bomer, Wentworth Miller, Jodie Foster and Sarah Paulson have excelled playing straight roles. Are some here arguing that none of them should have been allowed to play characters that are not their real life sexual orientation? Now that really would be discrimination!

Advertisement