Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 History books / material recommendations

• 10-12-2020 12:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Another year, another informal poll asking what was your favourite Historical related book ( in any format) read in the past 12 months?

Non-fiction:
    African Kaiser: General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck and the Great War in Africa, 1914-1918 by Robert Gaudi
    The Celtic World by Professor Jennifer Paxton

and in fiction, I've started reading for the first time books by G.A.Henty.
    In the Reign of Terror: The Adventures of a Westminster Boy,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

For a history book.
    Political murder in northern Ireland, published Jan 1974, by the great Martin Dillon.

It goes into the details of sectarian killings from 1970 to late 1973, by the UDA/UFF, UVF, IRA and the British Army.
    Excellent book for anyone interested in the start of the troubles.
    https://www.amazon.com/Political-Northern-Ireland-Penguin-special/dp/0140523081

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Brothers York by Thomas Penn is the one that springs to mind. It mainly deals with the reign of Edward IV between 1461 and 1473 (with a six-month interruption where he was temporarily deposed). It reads like a thriller set in the time for the most part with a bit too much farce for it to ever get a proper screen adaptation. The best part of it IMO is the interplay between Duke Charles the Bold of Burgundy, Edward IV, and Louis XI of France. We see the beginning of the end of any realistic hopes of England's ever regaining the French throne as well as the end of the Burgundian royal line as it becomes supplanted by the Habsburgs.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

"The Debateable Land, The Lost World Between Scotland and England" by Graham Robb.

About the Scottish Borders east of the Solway Firth which during 16th and 17th century was a lawless land dsiputed by Scotland and Engand.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

Probably Roller-Coaster: Europe 1950-2017, by Ian Kershaw. I read his 1914-1949 book this year too, but preferred Roller-Coaster. Despite it being closer to today, I knew less about the second half of the 20th Century in Europe than the first, especially the massive social and cultural changes that have taken place. A really good overview, and it's identified some events and areas that I now want to read about in more detail (the break up of the Soviet Union and the Yugoslav Wars being two of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

Just after Christmas I finished Normandy '44 by James Holland. Really enjoyed it, he struck a really nice balance between strategic, tactical, and operational detail. I also found there was a really nice narative to his writing, without it feeling like a novel if that makes sense. I'm looking forward to trying his Sicily '43 next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement