Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Right Stuff: Chuck Yeager breaks sound barrier again.

• 16-10-2012 12:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As per a Slashdot article - link.
    "
    The Seattle Times reports that exactly 65 years to the minute after becoming the first human to fly faster than the speed of sound, retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager flew in the back seat of an F-15 Eagle as it broke the sound barrier at more than 30,000 feet above California's Mojave Desert — the same area where he first achieved the feat in 1947 while flying an experimental rocket plane.
    "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Not so impressive when you consider someone just went supersonic without an aeroplane the other day.

Actually he commemrorated the 50th anniversary by flying an F15 from the front seat. This time he was just a passenger in the back. Although I suspect he had some stick time.

But glad to see he's still alive and sufficiently well to to enjoy a flight in an F15. The last of the legendary pilots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

bluecode wrote: »
    Not so impressive when you consider someone just went supersonic without an aeroplane the other day.

Actually he commemrorated the 50th anniversary by flying an F15 from the front seat. This time he was just a passenger in the back. Although I suspect he had some stick time.

But glad to see he's still alive and sufficiently well to to enjoy a flight in an F15. The last of the legendary pilots.

in fairness, the man IS 89 years old!

I'd like to see you be able to strap yourself into an f-15 at 89!! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

:rolleyes: I'm not having a go at him. Just contrasting it with Mr Baumgartner's recent feat.

I don't want to wait until I'm 89 to strap on an F15. But any aeroplane can be flown gently to cater for a person's condition. Even an F15.

However I suspect he threw it around a bit. Can't see him letting that opportunity go. He's a fighter pilot after all.

bluecode wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I'm not having a go at him. Just contrasting it with Mr Baumgartner's recent feat.

I don't want to wait until I'm 89 to strap on an F15. But any aeroplane can be flown gently to cater for a person's condition. Even an F15.

However I suspect he threw it around a bit. Can't see him letting that opportunity go. He's a fighter pilot after all.

Note that the guy who was CAPCOM for the Baumgartner jump was the current free fall holder, and he was 85!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

John Glenn was 77 when he made his shuttle flight, and is still going strong at 91.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

all these guys are incredible... made of different stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

all these guys are incredible... made of different stuff!

The "right" stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well he is gone now died at 97. Such a pity he did not get to make 100 but still a great age.

Should have been allowed to become an Astronaut.

RIP Chuck Yeager.

You are a legend now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement