Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST in the Spotlight - healy1835

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well lad, enjoyable reading so far!

1. What was your favourite computer game as a youngster and what is your current favourite?

2. All time favourite moment as a Kildare GAA fan?

3. What motivates you to run and train?

4. Are you good at recognising when the needle is right on the verge of the red zone in race situation while staying in control?

5. In a reverse Larry Tompkins & Shay Fahey situation, what 2 current players would you welcome into the current Kildare senior team?

6. What do you think was the single biggest eureka moment you had that improved your race performances the most?

7. Paul Pogba. The emperor with no clothes or not?

8. Should Glen Ryan have started the 1998 All Ireland final?

9. Your favourite marathon training plan?

10. Ole as manager. A lucky tactically naive Yes man or Long Term strategist with a plan in place?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

healy1835 wrote: »

Not quite a sports biography, but the Sports Gene by David Epstein is a brilliant read.

Have you read his latest book Range.

Also excellent podcast with him here https://open.spotify.com/episode/10XlXGhc5wa98LjMSQ0tGe?si=0qieMdxrTyS5LgwE05O9sQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

1. Any professional tips for mums (or dads) trying to home school primary school kids right now and work?

Well in addition to own job, I'm one of those parents as my wife works in the Coombe, so I've a lot of empathy for parents who've been pitched into the role of teacher.

Professional tips won't work because it's not the same job as teaching in the classroom. Hopefully the school/teacher is on the ball (not a given) and has given suitable/realistic activities and is in regular contact l, giving some practical feedback.

Treat the work given like a menu, do what suits your own situation. Every day is unique, kids, like their parents, can have bad and good days. There's no expectations on parents to be all singing or all dancing educators no matter what amazing art activity one of your friends put on Facebook or Instagram. It's not about being the best parent, it's about being good enough. That might look like a morning of fractions, English comprehensions and Irish reading, or it might look like no school work in an untidy house making lego, eating sweets and not getting changed out of your pj's. (any specifics in that last part are entirely incidental and not related to my own house at all)

2. What's your marathon progression been?

DCM 15: 3:39
    DCM 16: 3:19
    Berlin 17: 3:15
    Rotterdam 18: 3:14
    Limerick 18: 2:59
    DCM 18: 2:58
    DCM 19: 2:53

3. In mileage terms which do you think is more important quality or quantity?

What came first the chicken or the egg? In my own training, I'd usually be given a range to hit as regards mileage. For a typical marathon week it might be 110-130k. I'd be given my 1/2 sessions and LR details and I fill in the rest of the blanks myself, knowing that the 2/3 days of quality are paramount, and if I have to take a rest day or only get out for 5 miles easy then so be it.

4. What was the motivation behind your first marathon (DCM 2015 i think?)?

My fitness journey had taken me, post ACL soccer retirement, from the gym to doing Gaelforce West, to putting on a few pounds again, to at the encouraging of my mate, just signing up to DCM on a whim that April in 15. I think he was bored and wanted a project or something! Fast forward about 5 weeks later and I'm on Week 1 of the plan with, genuinely, no clue of what was ahead of me.

5. What kind of dog do you have?

Good question. The short answer is; not sure :) Her name is Bella and she's about 12 years old. We got her in the local rescue centre here in Kildare the summer after we bought the house, 2009. She's possibly a dalmatian cross, but we never got it checked out. She's a great pal to all the Healys. Slowing up a bit these days but is still in great form.

Have you read his latest book Range.

Also excellent podcast with him here https://open.spotify.com/episode/10XlXGhc5wa98LjMSQ0tGe?si=0qieMdxrTyS5LgwE05O9sQ

Santa brought that at Christmas and it's still sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read... Will pull it down tonight I think :) he's very listenable as well alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks great answers

Treat the work given like a menu, do what suits your own situation. Every day is unique, kids, like their parents, can have bad and good days. There's no expectations on parents to be all singing or all dancing educators no matter what amazing art activity one of your friends put on Facebook or Instagram. It's not about being the best parent, it's about being good enough. That might look like a morning of fractions, English comprehensions and Irish reading, or it might look like no school work in an untidy house making lego, eating sweets and not getting changed out of your pj's. (any specifics in that last part are entirely incidental and not related to my own house at all)

especially this, very reassuring :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Some cracking answers so far!! Kodiaq is a cracker of a car, nice choice....

1. Has running ever felt like more of a chore then a hobby? On a JRE podcast someone explained it perfectly, finding the fine line between getting enjoyment out of training vs it feeling like another job.

2. Podcast of choice? (if applicable)

3. Do you prefer to run with people/group's ? I know you and AMK had your little lovers getaway in the PP previously :) , is this something you find beneficial for the longer sessions?

4. Post long run/session treat of choice?

5. Tea or coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

2. What's your marathon progression been?

DCM 15: 3:39
    DCM 16: 3:19
    Berlin 17: 3:15
    Rotterdam 18: 3:14
    Limerick 18: 2:59
    DCM 18: 2:58
    DCM 19: 2:53

Nicely done!

Some cracking answers so far!! Kodiaq is a cracker of a car, nice choice....

I've actually said that I'm going to change the last 2 years and haven't, but I'm hopeful of actually doing it in the new year. Having said that, our family car (my wife's) is a nice 7 seater, I don't have a commute to speak of, and I'm not overly bothered what I drive so... Watch this space :)

1. Has running ever felt like more of a chore then a hobby? On a JRE podcast someone explained it perfectly, finding the fine line between getting enjoyment out of training vs it feeling like another job.

Definitely doesn't feel like another job, if it did I prob wouldn't be here. Sometimes the slower, recovery stuff can feel a bit of a chore, especially in the middle of a tough block. But I suppose to quote a t shirt slogan of another popular podcast, it's all about trusting the process.

2. Podcast of choice? (if applicable)

Just looking at the order of my Pocketcasts launch screen. I'll give you the first 10...

Second Captains,
    Bill Simmons Podcast,
    Runner Beans Podcast,
    GAA Hour,
    Stephen Scullion Podcast,
    The Rewatchables,
    Binge Mode,
    Empire Film Podcast
    United We Stand Podcast
    Ariel Helwani MMA Show

3. Do you prefer to run with people/group's ? I know you and AMK had your little lovers getaway in the PP previously :) , is this something you find beneficial for the longer sessions?

I love running with people, especially big sessions like that 20 Miler with AMK. A big bug bear of mine is when people in AC's don't train together and cliques and strange group dynamics come into play.

4. Post long run/session treat of choice?

Coca Cola.

5. Tea or coffee?

Neither. I'm a really awkward house guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I hadn't realised you were a teacher, which leads to a flurry of questions unfortunately. But you should be able to answer them all in a few short sentences.

Where did you train? And when did you graduate? How long were you teaching before you became a principal? Is it a position you saw yourself in when you started teaching? Did you teach in your school before you became principal? If not, how did you find coming in as an outsider?

Not so much teaching related, but did you ever take part in the INTO 5-a-side soccer tournament? If you did, how did your team fare?

Lastly, does the 1835 in your username have any significant meaning?

Where did you train? And when did you graduate?

Trained in the University of Dundee and graduated in 2005.

How long were you teaching before you became a principal?

10 years.

Is it a position you saw yourself in when you started teaching?

Eh not especially. I just wanted to teach and have a class of my own. Only after a few years and a few posts of responsibility etc did I start seeing the bigger picture. I think that's a more preferable route tbh. I loved teaching and had an absolute ball in the classroom. I've seen too many people get top jobs whom I wondered had they ever taught in a classroom, or did they recall why it was they got into the profession in the first place. I'm a teacher first, and a principal second, and it should always be the case.

Did you teach in your school before you became principal? If not, how did you find coming in as an outsider?

No I didn't, parachuted in from outside. I was however coming home as I'd been teaching my whole career in Dublin whilst living in Newbridge, so I had a fair idea of the catchment area etc. Having a clean break from intra staff politics and all the baggage that came with spending a decade plus in the one school was refreshing I have to say.

Not so much teaching related, but did you ever take part in the INTO 5-a-side soccer tournament? If you did, how did your team fare?

I played soccer every week with a load of lads that would have gone down every year. I often threatened to go down, but never made it. The stories I would have heard were the stuff of legend. Not many 5 a-side related mind you. I think the lads won it at least once, there would have been a lot of handy players in that group.

Lastly, does the 1835 in your username have any significant meaning?

None! It's my parent's house number at home. I think I came on to Boards about 12/13 years ago either looking to swap Man United tickets or for Oxegen festival info! Little did I know... :)

Thanks for those Zico. I know you've mentioned that you're a teacher as well, and from reading your log in the build up to DCM a couple of years back you put in a seriously disciplined shift and deserved the amazing time you achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Do you take any supplements like iron or vitamins?

Whats the diet like in general?

Maybe it was asked already but when you played football what position did you play?

Do you take any supplements like iron or vitamins?

Outside of a Berocca with the morning porridge, none.

Whats the diet like in general?

At the moment horrendous. Trying to settle it down, but when you're at home all day and making food for kids, it can get a little dicey. I'm also a terrible man for sugary drinks. But when I'm in a Marathon block I'm pretty disciplined. I'm about 8/9 lbs over my marathon race weight at the moment and it's pretty much all on my belly. Gonna try and shed a bit over the next month or so. But if a race is announced I can switch into healthy eating mode pretty seamlessly.

Maybe it was asked already but when you played football what position did you play?

Nope it hasn't. Depended on how good the team was. Usually Centre back or sweeper on teams at home, but on the Maynooth team that got to a couple of All Ireland finals in my time, I snuck in at left full on those and was just about keeping my head above water!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Don't forget my questions from previous page!

Don't forget my questions from previous page!

****! Will get onto those later ;) trying to gather the wherewithal to head out for a session here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

****! Will get onto those later ;) trying to gather the wherewithal to head out for a session here....

Now there's a word you don't see nearly enough of!! :)

1. What was your favourite computer game as a youngster and what is your current favourite?

Was always a Pro Evo man, or International Superstar Soccer in it's early SNES incarnation. Tiger Woods was good back in the day too. Loved all the GTA games, God of War series, Mario Kart.... Current favourite? Don't really have time to sit down and do any games justice nowadays.

I bought Red Dead Redemption 2 last year, played it twice, then ended up trading it in for Super Mario Maker 2 on the Switch for my eldest fella :( I think the last game I completed was The Last of Us, so will hopefully pick the sequel and actually get to play it in a couple of weeks.

2. All time favourite moment as a Kildare GAA fan?

Has to be Brian Murphy's goal against Meath in 1998 leinster final. Sadly it wasn't eclipsed bybl an All Ireland that year but it was a great moment.

3. What motivates you to run and train?

Just the enjoyment and the challenge of it all really. I love setting goals, re-evaluating and then going again. Have met a lot of sound heads as well since I started.

4. Are you good at recognising when the needle is right on the verge of the red zone in race situation while staying in control?

Sort of. I had one bad DNF last year in the Frank Duffy when I just threw in the towel, but in hindsight it was the best thing to happen to me as I learned a big lesson that day. Have had my best results when I've gone out a little conservatively and then finished strong, but as my times come down and my targets get loftier, I worry that this approach will only get me so far. I don't know.

5. In a reverse Larry Tompkins & Shay Fahey situation, what 2 current players would you welcome into the current Kildare senior team?

To be fair, Shay Fahy was transferred down there with the Defence Forces, Larry Tompkins was bought a pub! Two huge losses. Today, you'd take David Clifford wouldn't you ;) and sure we'll throw in Jack McCaffrey too. Both would probably get their place...

6. What do you think was the single biggest eureka moment you had that improved your race performances the most?

I'm guilty sometimes of thinking I'm going to make some dramatic breakthrough in a race, massive PB etc. Now I'm not saying that's never going to happen, but before DCM, my buddy/coach just said to me 'You know Johnny, you don't need a massive breakthrough to run a big race. You run a confident, solid race and the time will look after itself...' and he was right.

7. Paul Pogba. The emperor with no clothes or not?

*sighs* I'm fed up going to bat for that guy. I've defended him a lot since he came, but it's time to **** or get off the pot now. All the talent in the world but he's infuriating at times. I'd prob be of the opinion now that we should cash in on him.

8. Should Glen Ryan have started the 1998 All Ireland final?

The question should have been about Niall Buckley. He had missed the semi final and wasn't really fit at all for the Galway game. Such was his importance they couldn't do without him, but he was no where near fit on the day. Glen wasn't 100% but was he ever? :) watched game again recently and he actually had a good first half on Ja Fallon. But the second half... One of the great All Ireland final displays. Phenomenal performance by Fallon.

9. Your favourite marathon training plan?

Well I've never used a specific plan so I can't really answer. Looking at the various plans on other logs, I'd say the Jack Daniels 2Q one would probably suit me best, but I've never looked at them with a view to actually using one.

10. Ole as manager. A lucky tactically naive Yes man or Long Term strategist with a plan in place?

His place in United Lore is safe and sound, but I think he's way out of his depth. But the problems at United are far more in grained than just the manager.

Advertisement