Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - shotgunmcos

• 24-05-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭

Thanks again for all the questions on the last thread, but slightly relieved to move the attention elsewhere :) I'm delighted to say shotgunmcos has agreed to be the next for the spotlight!

Although he's been around here for ages apparently :p, I only stumbled upon him and his excellently descriptive log (Shotgun 2020) last year in the run up to his sub-3 attempt in Limerick. Go check out his log to find out the result :pac: His log updates paint Limerick in a lovely light and the local tourist board should really jump on that :D especially if they want to promote how the place looks at 3am :)

As with many on here, he manages to fit in serious miles each week with a young family and a busy job. (I don't know how people do that!)

The last time shotgunmcos took on a spotlight thread was about 8 years ago, and the T word was mentioned a lot so I think it's safe to say some things have changed in the meantime, though the dedication and focus seem to be a constant.

So, here we go.. the great thing about introducing the next person is I get to be first with the questions!

1. What was your first thought crossing the line in the Limerick marathon last year?
    2. Where is your favourite place to run?
    3. What inspired you to train by heart rate?

4. When you can't sleep, why do you choose a middle-of-the-night run rather than read a book / watch YouTube :pac:
    5. Do you naturally take note of everything on your training runs that get described on the log, or do you make a point of noticing your surroundings?
    6. What music / podcasts do you listen to on your runs?
    7. What's your dream marathon goal?
    8. Would you ever get a coach / have you ever had one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Excellent choice, could not have picked a better one myself!

1. Which is better, triathlon or running?
    2. Which year was it when we were both pacing Dublin marathon?
    3. Ever had any fantastic insights coming into your head out of nowhere while out on a run?
    4. You were right on top of your game doing triathlons a few years ago. What goes through your mind when you look back now?
    5. Favourite holiday destination?
    6. Any races on your bucket list?
    7. Favourite race distance? And why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Excellent choice!!

1. What’s your occupation?
    2. Your main character strengths?
    3. To what level did you compete as a rower?
    4. What makes you most proud of Limerick City?
    5. Is career move as tough in real life as she comes across on Boards?
    6. Rubberbandits, fools or smart lads?
    7. Sporting hero’s, if any?
    8. You’re the one off producer of Boards Big Brother. Choice of 6 people to put into the house, who & why?
    9. Soccer club of choice?
    10. Craft beer, yes you like or a daft gimmick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Inspired choice, MCOS has been a great contributor for many years.

1. Hold a plank for 4 mins (ok that's not a Q but it felt good to write :D)
    2. How many different sports have you tried in your life?
    3. Which have you excelled at the most?
    4. Which have you enjoyed the most?
    5. Describe your favourite hill run?
    6. What is the best place you've ever swam?
    7. Will you ever swim under 1:10 for 100m?
    8. Do you remember the "triathlon" table in McGrattans after the 2013 DCM? :D

Thats all for now, selfishly looking forward to reading all your answers on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Nice choice. One of the few Boardsies I've had the pleasure of running with.

1. Favourite limerick pub?
    2. Toughest session you've ever run?
    3. Drink of choice?
    4. Post race treat?
    5. Greatest running achievement?
    6. Best race?
    7. Worst race?
    8. Dream holiday?
    9. If the lockdown ended tomorrow and you could choose any race, what race would you train for and why?
    10. You choose the distance, which five Boardsies would you like to race against and what distance?
    11. Five years from now. What do you want to have achieved in running.
    12. Favourite limerick restaurant?
    13. Best night you've had out in limerick?
    14. Best training log on boards.
    15. How many pints did you have after the limerick sub 3?

Sorry for all the limerick questions. You can understand why coming from a fellow limerick man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Nice one! Lot's of stuff has been asked already...but here's a couple...

1. Is your writing confined to boards.ie or do you have any other outlets? Your log is very readable and enjoyable :)

2. I was (un)lucky enough to be standing at the finish of Limerick last year and watching your home straight. A year on, how do you feel about breaking the 3 hour barrier?

3. As a relative newbie to Boards myself, I'd be interested to hear your take on the A/R forum now as opposed to the generally considered glory years of a few years back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thank you ReeReeG - Again I really enjoyed your spotlight. Another home run for the Ladies :D Cheers for throwing me into the fire... gulp!

I'll try to not write war & peace and answer the questions asked!
    Excellent choice, could not have picked a better one myself!

1. Which is better, triathlon or running?
    Ooh thats a super toughie off the bat! Both have their attractions. Triathlon introduced me to swimming in lakes and the sea and I loved that. I did some open water swim event after tri and was glad of doing tri to learn that. Also all my close tri friends and training group came to my wedding and we had a blast. I met my wife, Caz through the club so its a special part of my life for sure. Having said that and swimming aside. It can be expensive. The events, the tech. I'd recommend it for anyone who enjoys swimming. So many do it and swimming is a chore. Why spend so much in your adult like on something you 2/3ers love :confused: Also there is the transport of your bike around to events for which you need a special box and mechanic skills. There is a lot to it and a lot to learn. I found it very enjoyable as a novice learning with my teamies. Ultimately it was too many disciplines to improve at once and it swallows a huge portion of every week.

I would have to say "just" running (it is part of tri :P) is better (not just to win points with this croud either). I love the simplicity of it, though this forum sure can make it complex! We loved to run as kids and that love is still there, its why we do it. So we love what we do. I like triathlon. I am loving running.

2. Which year was it when we were both pacing Dublin marathon?
    Ah 2010 what craic that was with --amadues-- organising, Krusty, Izoard and the gang. The balloons, Brian with the camera on his head for the 4 hour group (that we brought home in 3:59:30). I coached a group of 30 women for that marathon and many were in the 4hr entourage. It was mighty craic :D Course sharing a room with yourself may be one of the first love stories of this forum lol :D
    3. Ever had any fantastic insights coming into your head out of nowhere while out on a run? Not really. I don't solve the world on runs, I just try to understand it.
    4. You were right on top of your game doing triathlons a few years ago. What goes through your mind when you look back now?
    I squeezed a whole lot of fun out of it! I won my AG at the Kilkee Hell of the West and experience international AG racing that was as good as I wanted. The margins after that too small to chase. The kids coming up, too fast. And again Im grateful to learn how to swim competently as an adult as a result of that experience.
    5. Favourite holiday destination?
    Hmm The Amalfi Coast of Italy. Sorrento, Positano, Revello all the romantic towns. Basically love the Med so happy to be anywhere around it.
    6. Any races on your bucket list?
    NYC Marathon for sure. If I had been into running when I lived in Japan I think I'd have like to do Tokyo. There are lots of other international marathons too. I'd like to redo Berlin after a failure.
    7. Favourite race distance? And why?
    The Marathon. Although I loved the 100m as a teen. There is just more to the Marathon. You need to fuel for it. You need to manage yourself. I like long runs. Second to that is 10k. I started out with a sub40 10k goal and I really should give it some attention.

Thanks TBF!

Maybe I'll get one or two more done before my pillow calls me.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Excellent choice!!

Thanks B

1. What’s your occupation?
    I work as a Project Manager for a Medical Device Company.

2. Your main character strengths?
    I'm a calm and decisive head when everything is in chaos. Case in point, climbing off a dangerous ridge, at night, in a fog, sleep deprived and exhausted. One teammate has vertigo, another is delerious and about to run off a cliff, another is lost in the fog. I'm team captain and we are all lost...

Another one is that I notice when a girl changes her hair or wears new shoes :)

Finally I fully believe that people are resourceful and will find a way.

3. To what level did you compete as a rower?
    I won a couple of National Championships with my super fun and dedicated Uni crew. Was subsquently invited to Ireland U23 trials for upcoming World Champs but came up short with my lack of proficiency in small boats (singe or pairs). I came to the sport late and you could hide lack of finesse in big boats if you were strong enough but the little boats were for power and precision.

4. What makes you most proud of Limerick City?
    Munster Rugby supporters. Family oriented, respectful and sing their hearts out in every venue around Europe.

5. Is career move as tough in real life as she comes across on Boards?
    She sure is. Don't be fooled by her giddiness :D Tough physically and mentally. She was well able to keep 3 smelly stubborn men in check. Kate and I had a famous bust up after a 20hr trek through the night across the Bens in Connemara. It made for a silent few kms as she stormed up the road. The lads, exhausted all took a nap in a tent. Meanwhile she burned off steam by getting the boats and kits ready for the whole team for a night paddle the length of the Corrib. She can be stubborn but can just kick into action and deal with it. One one training weekend, She was bombing down a rocky trail (despite being afraid of technical mountain bike descents), fell on her face which gashed open. Said its grand and hopped back on. Lifting her bike over gates and such. She is a sweet heart though and my kids like her.

6. Rubberbandits, fools or smart lads?
    Very smart lads. Could debate most off a table.

7. Sporting hero’s, if any?
    My first as a kid was Carl Lewis. I just thought he was superman. I'd set up 100m sprint start and finish line with chalk on the road outside the house and challenge all the kids to a race. I'd run down the garden and jump as far as I could, often not making over my Dads flower beds :D

8. You’re the one off producer of Boards Big Brother. Choice of 6 people to put into the house, who & why?
    Yikes! Ok
    1. Enduro. Just because he doesn't suffer fools and would be so different in nature to most. His stories would be unreal too.
    2. AMK. Because his staring into mirrors and brushing of hair would drive Enduro nuts.
    3. LaineyFrecks to distract AMK from Enduro giving him daggers
    4. You, to play the practical jokes :P
    5. Singer, to play them on you while you are distracted setting up others
    6. Damo2k9, gotta have a Millennial in there to mix it up!

9. Soccer club of choice?
    Last time I followed soccer was as a teen. Had stickers of Ryan Giggs, Cantona, Roy Keane, Schmiecel etc.. More to annoy my best friend, a dedicated and lifelong Liverpool supporter. These days to me they are mainly a bunch of premadonnas.

10. Craft beer, yes you like or a daft gimmick?
    Tried em. Lots of Pils when lived in Germany. I rarely drink (both cause I got in so much trouble in my 20s and I cannot deal with hangovers :rolleyes:) so its the usual beer (Peroni) and wines (Red, Rioja etc). As for Gimmick, dunno. I just have little interest in alcohol. I can barely tell a gin from a whisky :o

Didn't forget about these. Thanks again ReeReeG. Your spotlight will be a tough one to follow ;)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the questions on the last thread, but slightly relieved to move the attention elsewhere :) I'm delighted to say shotgunmcos has agreed to be the next for the spotlight!

1. What was your first thought crossing the line in the Limerick marathon last year?
    No thoughts. I knew I had teh sub 3. Brian, my mate was already over the line staring around in disbelief. I just grabbed him and we both started jumping chanting we did it sub3! we did it sub3! we did it sub3!... Just pure joy :D

2. Where is your favourite place to run?
    I'm drawn to water so I love the riverbank or running around the quays and bridges. I look for those routes any city I travel to with work too.

3. What inspired you to train by heart rate?
    I did a lot of it training on the bike. It was all tested and zones from easy to V02 max. I had a coach that introduced me to capped heart rate tests in the winter to benchmark progression without worrying about pace. I read a lot and got to know how my body felt at different zones. So I basically carried it from bike training to running and it works just the same.

4. When you can't sleep, why do you choose a middle-of-the-night run rather than read a book / watch YouTube :pac:
    My apps on the phone switch off from 11pm to 7am every night for ditigal well being. So YT is unavailable. I'd most often pick up a kindle to avoid wking Caz up and I'd be back to sleep within a page or two. When the kids were babies and I was up night feeding I used to jump on the rower or do yoga at all hours of the night. Thats when I found that the body actually works when you want it to.

5. Do you naturally take note of everything on your training runs that get described on the log, or do you make a point of noticing your surroundings?
    I naturally take it in I guess and just put myself back out there when I write. If I have time I'll describe something that roots the run for me.

6. What music / podcasts do you listen to on your runs?
    I tried Scullion. He drove me mad when he started cycling.
    I most listen to Rugby Podcasts to keep up with the Rugby World and to laugh, the Rugby Pod and Off the Ball.

Running Podcast I enjoy are "I'll have another" interviews with Lyndsay Hein, Marathon Talk with Martin Yelling to name some

For Music I have different playlists for different running
    Running Easy - more relaxed old school hip hop, 90s RNB, Twenty One Pilots, Enigma, Rihanna etc
    Running Workouts - Evanescance, Wu Tang Clan, Bassment Jaxx, 90s dance, Beastie Boys, Chemical Brothers, Aviici anything with a thumping beat

I run with Headphones/without 50/50. I never did before as the old wired headphones drop me mad. But with the Garmin 645 and wireless its great... most of the time. Bluetooth sync can be annoying :rolleyes:

7. What's your dream marathon goal?
    There is a friend of mine, Liz, who I always wanted to beat but she was just too good. I ran with her for most of my only Marathon DNF in 2011 in Limerick where she went on to win. She's later that summer run one of the top 50 Irish Womens marathon times <2:48:XX in Berlin. I was so so impressed. I thought it would be cool to run a 2:48. So there it is 2:48... Honestly dont think I'm built for it :(

8. Would you ever get a coach / have you ever had one?
    I had 2 triathlon coaches
    1 F2F not good for reasons I can't go into.
    1 remote (UK based) good. Met him on a work trip once too. Really enjoyed the running sessions he set me and the 10k and half marathon PBs I got with him still stand. It went its course though when I dropped out of triathlon in 2012.

I did ok to execute a book plan last year but to push on I'm weighing up having a coach. Having been coached and coaching others I get the value of it. I think getting a coach as a novice is too soon. You make great improvements starting anything out and just following logs and chatting with folk on this Forum will being you on leaps. The Novice Marathon thread is a prime example or the Sub 3 thread was gold for that target. Its more when you plateau. I dont necessarily think I've plateaued, nor am I a novice (although its my first time focusing solely on running) but I do think it will need a tailored approach to phase things right, stay healthy and get PRs while I still can :)

Thanks again ReeReeG :)

Inspired choice, MCOS has been a great contributor for many years.

Thats all for now, selfishly looking forward to reading all your answers on this thread! :D

Thank you sir! I dip over to the dark side for a read every once in a while. Great to see you still at it!

1. Hold a plank for 4 mins (ok that's not a Q but it felt good to write :D)
    Ha ha I knew that would come back on me! I'm actually doing 80sec plank per day. Every week it goes up by 10 secs. So I can let you know if I'm at 4 minutes in about 4 months :D

2. How many different sports have you tried in your life?
    Rugby, Sprinting, Decathlon, Rowing, Judo, Triathlon, Adventure Racing, Mountain Bike Racing, OW Swim Races and finally running.

Rowing probably. Although I could run under 11 secs for 100m as a teen and scored a fair few tries in my Rugby days.

4. Which have you enjoyed the most?
    All different phases of life and all have their attributes. I enjoyed each at the time. Right now I'm loving running :)

I will say that in Adventure Racing I have laughed until my belly truly hurt. I did the Mizuno 24 hour relay with sconhome from around these parts while training for an AR and don't think I've ever laughed so much in any event. We met on Boards and became great friends. He is Godfather to one of my kids.

5. Describe your favourite hill run?
    My sister lives out near Keeper Hill in Tipp. I was out at hers one Christmas and decided to go for a morning run. Perfect blue sky disturbed only by the clouds from my breath. Keeper hill was covered with snow so I ventured up. Long solo run on crunchy snow covered trails, the only sound was that crunching beneath my feet. I ran to the top and then tore back down as fast as my legs would carry me. I was running so fast and free I felt I'd fall at any given moment. An adrenalin rushed all out downhill 6k. My lungs were on fire, my legs almost out of control. My arms flapped like wings to stabilise me. I finished at the barrier absolutely exhausted and exhilarated. Trotted back down to my sisters with a smile on my rosy cheeks to a feed of tea and sausages :D

6. What is the best place you've ever swam?
    In Ireland - probably Glendalough. That race we did up the mountain was just spectacular.

7. Will you ever swim under 1:10 for 100m?
    Sure a did a 1:07 in a hotel 22.5m pool, remember? You did all the sums to validate too at the time :D:pac:

8. Do you remember the "triathlon" table in McGrattans after the 2013 DCM?
    How could I forget DCM 2013 and the pain!
    Obi Wan, the Hobbit and meeting Hoochie Double D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Great read so far! Just a short few questions...

1. At one point your marathon PB was 3:00:20. Did those 21 seconds annoy you at all once you had recovered a few weeks after the race?

2. Once you had gone sub 3, did you find any change in motivation in your next block of marathon training?

3. What's the weirdest thing you have seen/encountered out on a run?

4. What's your favourite time to go out on a training run?

5. What's your favourite individual piece of training kit/gear?

6. Are you as disciplined with your diet as you are with other aspects of your training?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Nice choice. One of the few Boardsies I've had the pleasure of running with.
    Cheers P. Hopefully we get to meet up and run many more times

1. Favourite limerick pub?
    Probably Nancy Blakes - but don't get out much these days.

2. Toughest session you've ever run?
    Hmm.. In my first year of college I trained with the track team. One session was 5 sets of
    300m sprint from the start line to the top of the 100m straight. Walk to the finish then sprint back up the straight max effort. Walk back to the start line for next rep. I remember getting sick after it.

3. Drink of choice?
    Chocolate Milk :D

4. Post race treat?
    Burger or Pizza and beer.

5. Greatest running achievement?
    Probably winning a Cross Country County bronze medal with the club. I was the slowest member of a team lead by Dermot Kearns and I remember giving it everything on muddy laps of UL to pick up every place I possibly could. I was just delighted to help the team score and It was a properly earned medal, not just for participating.

6. Best race?
    The sub 3 last year with a negative split was probably my best execution of a race. I had other races in other sports though that were up there too. The sub3 was longest waiting and most satisfying I'd say.

7. Worst race?
    Berlin Marathon. The Rock Bands that line the route. The beer tents. The atmosphere! The roller blade marathon spectacle the day before. It was such a cool event. Loud, fun, exciting. Great buzz afterwards etc.. I had a terrible race though :(

It was the context of the year. My first Ironman in July. I put in a huge winter programme and was as fit as I've ever been. Ran Connemara Marathon as a training run. But kept going. DNF at Limerick 6 weeks later. Smashed myself at the Ironman in 36 degrees heat. I underestimated the overall breakdown on the body and didn't recover enough. I should have had a month off after the Ironman. I was fit enough to run a sub 3 with minimal extra training but just didn't recover. I went to Berlin alone not feeling fresh.

Through half way in 1:26:xx but the wheels came off at 2 hours. It wasn't the wall. It was long before it. My quads imploded into horrible cramps. I couldn't run through it. I could only jog, hobble my way to the finish. I finished in my second fastest marathon time of 3:19 but it was an absolute failure. Worse still I was on my own, knew nobody. Mentally and physically dejected. Called Caz and actually had a cry. I had over trained. DNF. Missed my Ironman target by 7 mins and then broke down in Berlin. I learned a lot about myself that year :(

8. Dream holiday?
    New Zealand - Milford Sound. I lived in Japan and visited many countries while out there but never got to NZ. I'd love to trek and raft in that country.

9. If the lockdown ended tomorrow and you could choose any race, what race would you train for and why?
    DCM. I had planned to do a PB attempt there with my buddy and I was imagining another joyful day with beers and burgers :D But I would love to do NYC Marathon too.

10. You choose the distance, which five Boardsies would you like to race against and what distance?
    100m
    You, Healy, AMK, Krusty, Lambay.. just because I'd have a chance at a few scalps I'd never otherwise get. I'm build for power not endurance :o

11. Five years from now. What do you want to have achieved in running.
    If I could do as well at running as I have done with say Triathlon, I'll have given it a good go. Most importantly stay healthy and set a whole new suite of PRs :) I am not fixated on time targets as those are really limiters. If I can incrementally improve for the next 5 years that would be awesome.

12. Favourite limerick restaurant?
    Breakfast in Hook & Ladder on Sarsfield Street is a treat.
    For Dinner in town probably Freddy's Bistro
    Personally Taikichi on O'Connell street as its teh only place to get Japanese food, which I love.

13. Best night you've had out in limerick?
    Too hard to chose. I've had a lot. A more interesting one was out in Nancys with the triathlon gang and triathletes from around the country. Had a great time. I "scored" with a solicitor I'd spotted at some events. Went back to her friends house, a girl I swam with, and promptly passed out asleep on the couch! Nothing happened. The next morning I wondered into the kitchen rather embarrassed and was introduced to their other housemate, Caz, who is now my wife :D

14. Best training log on boards.
    I read quite a few but have to say I'm delighted the Lemon is back. I've laughed out loud at some of his log stories.

15. How many pints did you have after the limerick sub 3?
    2 with my buddy. Then walked home and had a few satisfying beers with my feet up.

Thanks for the questions P, really took me down memory lane there. Looking forward to your spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks for the questions P, really took me down memory lane there. Looking forward to your spotlight.

I've had my spotlight although I'm a changed man now. Haha.

Great answers thanks. Similar restaurants to what I'd pick. Had a great date night with the missus in Taikichi a few years back.

Never knew you were a project manager. Same as myself.

healy1835 wrote: »
    Nice one! Lot's of stuff has been asked already...but here's a couple...
    Wassup Healy. Just 3 very open questions eh.. :P

1. Is your writing confined to boards.ie or do you have any other outlets? Your log is very readable and enjoyable :)
    Thank you kindly! It is unfortunately. I used to keep diaries years ago but between kids, work, prepping and cooking food, reading, running and other hobbies I have almost zero time to allow the creative side of the brain dictate. I spend more time reading than writing. I have the seed of an idea for a book though so that should come through when I have time. I did spend 2 straight hours sat squat legged in the kids room building Zoe's precious favourite teddy out of the Lego parts they had. I ended up with a sudden cramp in the sole of my left foot that was savage enough to curl my toes towards my heel. It was so painful. I had to slowly pull my toes back and it took a minute to relieve. I've had epic cramps over the years.

2. I was (un)lucky enough to be standing at the finish of Limerick last year and watching your home straight. A year on, how do you feel about breaking the 3 hour barrier? I know, tough day for you but look how strong you are now! I feel good about it still. Not necessarily the achievement itself but how I went about it. The 4 months of discipline preceding it. I feel confident it was not a one off too. I'm a little annoyed I didn't pick up from there but again just didn't take enough recovery time. I'm happy that I've yet to put 4 months of a disciplined plan on top of the current base building phase and all going well it will have me in shape to push on.

3. As a relative newbie to Boards myself, I'd be interested to hear your take on the A/R forum now as opposed to the generally considered glory years of a few years back? I originally came on board in 2008 on a mission to crack 40 for 10k. A certain Krusty Clown was after the same thing and I actually beat him to it! :D Within 2 more 10ks I had cracked 39. Perhaps a shame I didn't take a similar path to Krusty instead of buying a bike and learning to swim.
    Congrats MCOS! Great achievement! Jealous as hell!

There are some differences though. I find there is a bit more "thanking" and less commenting on logs. Possibly because there are so many logs to follow and everyone is simply busier in this world. I'm guilty of this. Following on Strava and Boards when I have a 1 hour limit on both apps is impossible :o I also suspect more folk are reading and updating Boards from their phones these days and it competes with so many other apps to update.

It was a bit of a lads pad back then and I'm delighted to come back and have so many inspiring and strong women on the forum. I used to run with girls who kicked my ass back then and would still do now.

We are also a more gentle bunch than the old crowd, who wouldn't hesitate to call you out (Anyone remember pgibbo or tunney or peckham or --amadues--?). There is definitely good feedback at times but debate fizzles out as quick as our 2020 attention spans :cool: If we didn't have the likes of Oonegative around being as equally cheeky as supportive, the place would be worse off.

Probably the best thing that has changed is the patience and support of novices. Perhaps higher footfall. Often in the old days a Noob question might go days before an answer. Its better now and the Novice threads are brilliant.

Hope I gave enough for those 3 Healy, thanks buddy :)

I've had my spotlight although I'm a changed man now. Haha.

Great answers thanks. Similar restaurants to what I'd pick. Had a great date night with the missus in Taikichi a few years back.

Never knew you were a project manager. Same as myself.

Seems we have more in common than we thought. :) Now I just need to draft you over to the Marathon ;)

Great read so far! Just a short few questions...

Thanks man.

1. At one point your marathon PB was 3:00:20. Did those 21 seconds annoy you at all once you had recovered a few weeks after the race?
    It didn't annoy me at all, simply because sub3 had never been a goal up to then! I went up with Caz, her friend and her now husband. The girls were training for it and nervous. I grabbed a last minute entry in case I felt like doing it. I was 100% relaxed having a beer and a laugh the night before after cycling the course. I didn't ebven know what sub3 pace was. I just lined up and set off comfortably. I was at 7 min pace and just thought I'd sustain it. I came through halfway in 1:27 and missed the start of the half marathon so I had miles an miles of quiet gorgeous connemara roads. It felt like a training run (as I intended it). It started to hurt going up the long climb from 22-24m but I literally only registered sub3 was on when I got to the top of that.

The 20 seconds or top 10 finish didn't matter. It was never a goal race. I just had a good validation that I was in good shape. The problem was, regardless of what shape you are in, a marathon takes it toll. I didn't pay that toll in the following weeks and ended up having to pay it back with interest :o

2. Once you had gone sub 3, did you find any change in motivation in your next block of marathon training? Yes it opened pandoras box for sure. The motivation is still there and hopefully the force is strong too!

3. What's the weirdest thing you have seen/encountered out on a run?
    How about a gun pointed at you! I was based in Manila, Philippines for a couple of months with work. Out running in 32 degrees smoggy heat in an ugly urban chaotic sprawl was not my favourite. Beside a place called Wack-Wack Golf Club I turned into an estate that was all of a sudden quiet (in a city of 42m inhabitants), nice houses and cars on manicured streets named "Harvard", "Stanford", "Princeton". It was not unlike a nice estate back home. I had failed to notice the armed guard at the entrance. I ran around for a few miles and meandered back out. Saluted the guard and made my way back to the hotel. We worked night hours back then so the next time I was running out it the city was 4am and I wore a black cap. This time the guard stopped me, pointed his gun and gave me my marching orders. I complied. Turns out there are some VIPs in that estate and there was a reason it had an armed guard entrance!

4. What's your favourite time to go out on a training run?
    First thing in the morning, before the world wakes and get busy. I've described the dawn chorus many a time in my log but I love the peace. I can run on roads, its usually cooler and its satisfying to having it done before work. That might change as the kids get older and I can get out during the sunshine hours or hook up with other runners at more sociable hours.

5. What's your favourite individual piece of training kit/gear?
    I wear bandanas in the winter and caps in the summer. A white cap is great for keeping your head cool on warm days. Right now I'm loving the Garmin 645 Music. I only started listening to PodCast this year and they are a great way to pass easy miles on the same routes.

6. Are you as disciplined with your diet as you are with other aspects of your training? No! This is where I probably made a significant difference last year for the sub3. Changed just a few things and hit my race weight of 77kg. I love food, I love cooking, I bake bread every second day, cook from scratch and have a wicked sweet tooth. I'm not the worst because most of my diet is fruit, veg, grains, seeds, full fat milk and yoghurt. I generally stick to nicer Lindt chocolate (Dark mint mmm and they just made a dark honeycomb mmm) but Caz loves a biscuit or square of crappy milk chocolate with her tea (and never changes weight :mad:). I generally hoover up everything in the house.

Thanks for the questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Hi shotgunmcos,

Whats your favourite session or type of session? And what's your least favourite?

Are you a member of a athletic club? If so how active are you within the club?

How many marathons have you ran?

What advice would you give someone attempting to race their first marathon?

Whats was your running goals for 2020 pre covid 19? And your long term running goals now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hello :pac:
    Haven't read all the Q&A yet, so ignore if there's duplication.

Biggest regret?
    Gulity pleasure?
    You can only do one to supplement your training, sleep, nutrition or S&C?
    Sporting hero to have lunch with [dead or alive]?
    An hour to spare, trail or track?
    Any interest in competing at master's championship track races?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great read so far.

1. Hanson assessment? The good, the bad, the verdict?

2. Favourite book/film/TV drama/album?

3. What are your PBs (running only).

4. Best single piece of running advice you’ve been given on Boards?

5. You’re obviously a writer. Tell us more about the book idea?

6. Thoughts on Delores O’Riordan?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi Shotgun.
    You mentioned that your greatest running achievement was winning a club xc medal.
    A) Did you continue to run xc with that club
    B) Have you any plans to run xc again (post covid)

Do you/ have you trained with Joe's group in UL.

What's your favourite run training session..

TIA

MY BAD wrote: »
    Hi shotgunmcos

Howdy!

Whats your favourite session or type of session? And what's your least favourite?
    Favourite: Long Run with MP segments.
    Like 2 hrs with 3x 10-20min at marathon effort instead of marathon pace. I tend to use heart rate to guide the effort until I have a good feel for target pace. Another one did last year was 2m, 3m, 5m MP segments with 1m easy between segments

I like longer MP tempo runs too as IMO you can't beat practicing your target pace and getting to know it in all conditions. However I feel that MP segment in a LR teaches you what MP feels like compared to easy. I've made the mistake of blurring those lines in the past and running too many "easy" miles at or close to MP.

Least Favourite: Longer speed reps like 4-6 mins
    I don't mind up to 3 mins but holding that pace for 4, 5 or 6 minutes is grim and my form usually breaks down to something that feels like a zombie stagger.

Are you a member of a athletic club? If so how active are you within the club?
    Yes Dooneen AC. Not very active. I miss all the training sessions. I'd like to be more active but our household schedule doesn't have room right now. I'd like to bring the kids down when they are old enough and I'll probably get involved again that way.

How many marathons have you ran?
    DCM x5
    2007 - 3:33 (First marathon)
    2008 - 3:27
    2009 - 3:59 (Pacer),
    2010 - 3:59 (Pacer)
    2013 - 4:27 :o
    Connemara x2
    2008 - 3:58
    2011 - 3:00
    Berlin
    2011 - 3:19
    Limerick x2
    2011 - DNF
    2019 - 2:58

Plus 3x Ironman Marathons

What advice would you give someone attempting to race their first marathon?
    • If you can, build your mileage up gradually over a number of weeks before you start your plan.
    • Make sure the plan suits you and your lifestyle before you set off on it.
    • Don't avoid training in the rain or wind. It could be windy and wet on the day... for 26 miles!
    • Don't wear earphones, experience it and enjoy it.

Whats was your running goals for 2020 pre covid 19? And your long term running goals now?
    2020 - PB at DCM and have a go at a 10k and half marathon en route.
    Long Term: Set a full suite of new PRs :) But also race more locally and plot some travel marathons

Thanks for the questions :)

• Advertisement

While going back over marathon history there I thought about the medals you get. I had bigger things like plaques or cups on a shelf but until recently all my medals from all sports were chucked in a drawer.

Not sure how folk store or display their medals but I came across a neat way to hang and display if anyone interested :)

Amazon link

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Hello :pac:
    Haven't read all the Q&A yet, so ignore if there's duplication.

Hey Dom, no worries dude.

Biggest regret?
    In life or running :eek: I'll stick to running but I tend to forgive myself and move on. Its just not healthy holding onto baggage and zero you can do about it but change the road ahead.

The lowest running moment had to be Berlin. I gave some detail in an earlier question but its hard to describe how alone you can feel in something so big, popular and thronged with utter excitement. I had put down over 600 hours of training in the previous 12 months. Sacrificed all kinds of weekends. Finding sitters for my eldest (then 6). The money on physio and travel. Caz came to Germany with me for the Ironman that summer but I was on my own for Berlin in the autumn. I had been in such good shape that Berlin should have been a good sub3 and motivation to do another marathon sooner than 2019! (DCM 2013 doesn't count as I was only doing it to meet mates). It wasn't just humbling to learn that lesson of minding your body but being such a misery guts on such a cool event seemed like such a waste. I didn't even enjoy the beer tents :o I'll go back an make amends for sure..

Gulity pleasure?
    Celine Dion full blast while I bake bread or prep a Sunday Roast. Her voice stirs me.

You can only do one to supplement your training, sleep, nutrition or S&C?
    S&C from a risk mitigation POV. Its where you can discover niggles that can turn into injuries further down the path. Although sleep is the most natural healer.

On a rare day where the kids are away and I get to run during the day. I'll take my time to activate the body with some drills, do the run, a bit of S&C or Yoga afterwards. Then have a healthy protein rich snack or a recovery shake with snack, then head for a nap!

Sporting hero to have lunch with [dead or alive]?
    There are loads. I've been fortunate to meet some of my all time heroes Jonah Lomu RIP (who changed the game of rugby) and Sir Stephen Redgrave CBE (a diabetic rower who won 5 consecutive Olympic Gold Medals).

But for lunch I'd pick Gwen Jorgenson. Triathlon Gold Medal for the US in Rio. She dominated the elite tri scene literally running away from the filed off the bike. I was more interested in the the womens racing because she was in it. Instead of defending her World and Olympic titles or turning her attention to Ironman she gave up triathlon and joined the Nike Bowerman Track Club to transition to the Marathon after having a baby. Her first go at it was a wake up call and shows how the marathon is such a different beast. She has a YT channel now that I follow but to meet her in person for lunch would be cool. She ran 15:10 for 5k and 30:55 for 10k last year but maintains that she needs to get the "miles" in her legs for the marathon.

An hour to spare, trail or track?
    Trail every day of the week. I never raced on track so I don't have a draw to it. For me its like this. For a track, I'd switch off. For a trail I'd switch on.

Any interest in competing at master's championship track races?
    I'd give it a go for craic but not something I'd seriously train for. I'd rather head to the field and hurl a javelin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Rowing probably. Although I could run under 11 secs for 100m as a teen and scored a fair few tries in my Rugby days.

:eek: That's outstanding, it would be competitive even in recent years at provincial and maybe even All Ireland schools/underage level.

Did you pick up any individual medals at schools/underage?
    Why did you give up sprinting?
    Did you find it was any help to you as a rower or when you returned to running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

For a track, I'd switch off. For a trail I'd switch on.

OKAY HOLD ON THERE ONE MINUTE.

If you were training for track i can assure you the last thing you can do during a session is switch off. It's different buzz than running around looking at bushes and hills but switching off is not something you get to do. As you were :pac:

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great read so far.

Thanks Murph_D :)

1. Hanson assessment? The good, the bad, the verdict?
    I did a run down of my thoughts on it shortly after the marathon last year
    Link below if you or anyone thinking of Hansons want to read that.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110120829&postcount=239

A year on though...
    The Good: Lots of MP miles and simple structure. Uncomplicated but tough! Teaches you to manage fatigue.
    The Bad: Its all on a rolling 6 runs a week pattern so on workout days those session get quite long. The long runs were few and boring.
    Verdict: Its not a first time marathon/novice plan. You need to know yourself, know when you are over reaching, understand simple muscle fatigue from actual tiredness. The speed phase is at the start so there is a risk of carrying a niggle into the meat of the plan if you burn yourself on those workouts. Having said that, if you execute the plan you will feel your strength build. As you push through those tough later workouts and doubt yourself, it will just be a familiar burn in the marathon.

2. Favourite book/film/TV drama/album?
    Favourites are always a tough one.
    Book: I read a lot and have many that I've read and re-read.
    Some running gems:
    Once a Runner - John Parker - beautifully written fiction about a the life of a miler named Cassidy.
    The Dirtiest Race in History - Richord Moore - a brilliant insight into the cast of the 100m final at the Seoul Olympics 1988. I loved watching Carl Lewis and remember as just a 10 year old feeling so angry at the yellow eyed monster that beat him.

Currently reading: Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, book 2

Film: Again so many I've watched a dozen times.
    Gladiator, Braveheart, Rogue One, Interstellar all up there

Last watched: A few Good Men

TV Drama: I assume Netflix etc counts?
    It took a long time to dethrone The Sopranos but I thought Breaking Bad was another level of writing. More recently The Mandalorian on Disney+ (same bad guy as breaking bad funnily enough)

Album: Easy: Michael Jackson: Thriller :)

3. What are your PBs (running only).
    5k 18:15
    10k 38:09
    10m 1:02:22
    HM: 1:23:40
    M: 2:58:50

4. Best single piece of running advice you’ve been given on Boards?
    Honestly can't pinpoint just one piece on Boards but Ive had the same said to me by several people F2F and on Boards and we all know it - Keep slow, slow and fast, fast.

5. You’re obviously a writer. Tell us more about the book idea?
    Its not even an idea. I'll put pen to paper some day and something will happen or not

6. Thoughts on Delores O’Riordan?
    RIP Talented and complex lady gone too soon :(
    I run past this mural on one of my favourite city running routes
    5dda4f5ae81c1.jpg

Cheers!

Ceepo wrote: »
    Hi Shotgun.
    You mentioned that your greatest running achievement was winning a club xc medal.

Hey Ceepo! How are you sir?

A) Did you continue to run xc with that club
    No, Joe basically yanked me into it on one of teh track sessions. I showed up that weekend and that was that. Maybe I was too slow to be invited back :cool:

B) Have you any plans to run xc again (post covid)
    No solid plans but now that I'm running again I definitely would love to get the lugs on and run around some fields in a fighting frenzy. I'll chat with one of the girls at the club or Joe about it this winter if XC is on.

Do you/ have you trained with Joe's group in UL.
    His Tuesday track session? I did years ago pre kids. Started back there just before Covid this year. Were you talking about a different group?

What's your favourite run training session..
    I think I answered that on MYBAD's questions. I am finding that I'm enjoying the short intervals lately though

TIA - Most welcome :)

:eek: That's outstanding, it would be competitive even in recent years at provincial and maybe even All Ireland schools/underage level.

Did you pick up any individual medals at schools/underage?
    Why did you give up sprinting?
    Did you find it was any help to you as a rower or when you returned to running?

I won a few medals in school meets but when I started college I trained with a group under Dr Drew Harrisson at UL that included Gary Ryan and Tom Comyns. I was quick for rugby but miles off those lads. The Coach suggested I try Decathlon after I had a go at long jump. I trained with Brendan Bourke and though I could sprint with him, I sucked at hurdles.

I just didn't see how I could compete kind of found myself in no mans land and didn't enjoy it. I guess coming from a team sport where every game was win or lose but you always had a chance. Plus Rugby was starting to come out of amateurism and I got paid 50 quid for playing a match at the weekend.

I guess what helped with rowing is that in comparison to the general crew who were tall, fit, endurance types, I was quite explosive. Not at all suited to rowing! It helped though when I needed to set a fast hard rate or surge mid race.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    OKAY HOLD ON THERE ONE MINUTE.

If you were training for track i can assure you the last thing you can do during a session is switch off. It's different buzz than running around looking at bushes and hills but switching off is not something you get to do. As you were :pac:

Have you ever run down a technical rocky steep mountain trail?
    Edit: Different switches but similar zones of focus. The danger is more exciting that the onrush of lactic acid for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Have you ever run down a technical rocky steep mountain trail?
    Edit: Different switches but similar zones of focus. The danger is more exciting that the onrush of lactic acid for me

Just defending my home, I'm sure trail running is awesome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Yoga or Joe Wicks? Do you do much non-running stuff?
    Any thoughts on exercising during lockdown and 2km limits?

Advertisement