Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freezers

• 17-05-2020 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if freezer units are back in stock to a decent level of choice now or if the selection is still sparse due to Covid-19.

Need to get a replacement tall freezer and was hoping for a bit of choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

Was wondering the same thing - ours is over 20 years old and the drawers are cracked and I’d love frost free one. Was checking all the usual suspects and although they lost many, the majority are out of stock plus prices seemed to have crept up.
    I’m interested to know why there’s a shortage - where they commandeered for hospitals or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

VanHalen wrote: »
    I’m interested to know why there’s a shortage - where they commandeered for hospitals or what?

No, domestic hoarding.

The refuse companies are now saying that they're seeing a big increase in the amount of expired food being dumped. That's what happened the fresh food, the expired frozen stuff will end up in black bins in about 2-5 years time.

Yeah but surely anyone who was going to buy a freezer for hoarding would have bought it a couple of months ago? I started looking maybe 6 weeks ago and
    Was amazed at how many models were listed as out of stock and still are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭gipi

Could it be where they (or their parts) are made?

I recall the motor industry in Italy reporting in Feb/Mar that they were running short of parts made in China.

VanHalen wrote: »
    Yeah but surely anyone who was going to buy a freezer for hoarding would have bought it a couple of months ago? I started looking maybe 6 weeks ago and
    Was amazed at how many models were listed as out of stock and still are!

Where's the contradiction here? Yes, people probably did buy freezers in vast numbers two months (8 weeks) ago. So when you checked 6 weeks ago, they were all gone. The same thing probably happened in the UK so the Irish distributors can't get any new stock.

• Advertisement

I'm still checking and they're mostly out of stock.

www.currys.ie have several chest freezers and there's no 'out of stock' flag against them, maybe worth a look?

Looking for an under counter one and frost free as well. I keep looking in all the usual places DID Powercity Curry’s and Harvey Norman. Still haven’t seen one that’s in stock. Also the prices seem to have crept up (or is it just me)?

Advertisement