Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will any sportives go ahead in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Despite the fuzzy advice from CI, my club is recommending to members that they continue to ride solo within the 5km circle.

I’m beginning to suspect you wanted some loophole to be proclaimed. I found nothing fuzzy in their advice. Probably as their advice is what I had already garnered from the State’s advice.

I’d appreciate an explanation as to how it was fuzzy and what exactly youfeel unclear about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I’m beginning to suspect you wanted some loophole to be proclaimed. I found nothing fuzzy in their advice. Probably as their advice is what I had already garnered from the State’s advice.

I’d appreciate an explanation as to how it was fuzzy and what exactly youfeel unclear about?

I probably should have made it clearer in my previous post that I strongly agree with the advice from my club, had pushed for it and feel that CI should have taken a similar line.

The recent CI advice is essentially a single sentence that reads: "Members are encouraged to carefully assess their route and the potential risks to establish whether 4 people cycling a minimum of 2 metres apart constitutes a hazard and is safe within your locality." Given the lack of any clear evidence on what constitutes a safe distance when cycling behind someone, I cannot imagine any situation on an open road where cycling 2 metres apart does not constitute a hazard. I cannot really understand the references to "assessing the route" and "within your locality" but maybe I am missing something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Sweet divine.
    The current state guidelines state that you cannot exercise beyond your 5km radius.
    The current state guidelines state that you must socially distance 2m minimum away from the 4 people you are now allowed to exercise with if you are not from the same household.
    The CI advice aligned directly with those two directives.

What about that is difficult to understand? I am struggling to see how it can be clearer. The GOVERNMENT has laws that prohibit exercise beyond a 5k radius from your house. It has also stipulated social distancing guidelines of 2m from people not within your household. It has allowed exercise with up to 4 people not from your household as long as social distancing is upheld. CI are an NGB, they are not the government, they have stuck exactly to the government advice, I am really struggling to see what possible further clarification can be needed? Guidelines here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

For the love of goodliness do you want CI to come over to your house and take you out by the hand?!! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Despite the fuzzy advice from CI, my club is recommending to members that they continue to ride solo within the 5km circle.
    Good advice

I thought it was a nice placation by them. They copied the government guidelines exactly. They didn't tighten them up, I would have but they know if they did you'd have complaints. They done the right thing. Some people needed CI to say something so they rightly repeated government advice.
    I probably should have made it clearer in my previous post that I strongly agree with the advice from my club, had pushed for it and feel that CI should have taken a similar line.

The recent CI advice is essentially a single sentence that reads: "Members are encouraged to carefully assess their route and the potential risks to establish whether 4 people cycling a minimum of 2 metres apart constitutes a hazard and is safe within your locality." Given the lack of any clear evidence on what constitutes a safe distance when cycling behind someone, I cannot imagine any situation on an open road where cycling 2 metres apart does not constitute a hazard. I cannot really understand the references to "assessing the route" and "within your locality" but maybe I am missing something.
    Giving people who don't get it straight away enough to figure it out on their own that if you follow the rules, you can't group ride. Regrettably if you said that straight out, some would say that's not government guidelines. By giving them the choice to assess the route, unless they've are thick, they'll realise they can't but be happy they figured it out rather than being told.

From the CI site:

"The easing of restrictions during phase 1 allows for a limited return of certain cycling activities. Groups of up to 4 people may cycle within a 5km radius of their home while maintaining social distancing requirements. Members are encouraged to carefully assess their route and the potential risks to establish whether 4 people cycling a minimum of 2 metres apart constitutes a hazard and is safe within your locality."

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/phase-1-return-of-cycling-activities/27510

I don't see how it could possibly be any clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I admire your optimism but, unfortunately, confidently expect to see plenty of cyclists out cycling in groups from Monday.

I admire your optimism but, unfortunately, confidently expect to see plenty of cyclists out cycling in groups from Monday.

That'll be Tuesday, on Monday everyone will be hitting the gardening centers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That'll be Tuesday, on Monday everyone will be hitting the gardening centers :pac:

They have to squeeze in a round of golf as well don't forget :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's not optimism, building sites have been open for days against guidelines. Streets in my local town are wedged during the day. I hope I'm wrong but I think we ****ed ourselves. The government were too trusting of our ability to follow simple guidelines. The Gardai were too soft on people. The terrible thing is, I can't tell if it's a lack of understanding or that some simply don't care. Unless we are incredibly lucky, there will be a second wave shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's not optimism, building sites have been open for days against guidelines. Streets in my local town are wedged during the day. I hope I'm wrong but I think we ****ed ourselves. The government were too trusting of our ability to follow simple guidelines. The Gardai were too soft on people. The terrible thing is, I can't tell if it's a lack of understanding or that some simply don't care. Unless we are incredibly lucky, there will be a second wave shortly.

Well looking at the Boards.ie Strava club today it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't give a fcuk about the 5 km rule anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I’ve seen groups of 2 and 3 cycling together for the last 2 weeks unfortunately

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cast not the first stone.

Try to follow the guidance and stay safe.

There is some return to normality and looks like we will have sportif's and races from Aug 10th.

We are awaiting clearer guidance from the subgroup on returning to sport (which has little expertise on cycling unfortunately) but with contact sport being allowed from then bunch cycling looks like it will be no great problem.

Remember lockdown was a holding measure to allow us prepare, it is not and never was supposed to be along term new way of living.

Government and CI both doing their best in a rapidly changing environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

RobFowl wrote: »
    Cast not the first stone.

Try to follow the guidance and stay safe.

There is some return to normality and looks like we will have sportif's and races from Aug 10th.

We are awaiting clearer guidance from the subgroup on returning to sport (which has little expertise on cycling unfortunately) but with contact sport being allowed from then bunch cycling looks like it will be no great problem.

Remember lockdown was a holding measure to allow us prepare, it is not and never was supposed to be along term new way of living.

Government and CI both doing their best in a rapidly changing environment.

That has just put the whole thing in perspective for me. Thank you.
    E.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Will any racing actually go ahead in phase 4 or 5 I wonder? The government and CI guidelines say that it will be limited to races within your county.

Most of the time we travel, 1or 2 counties away, if not large distances across the country to go to a race.

Race organisers have been saying how attendance is down in recent years and some races are not viable to run.

Just wondering your thoughts all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if CI had their arse in gear, they'd be on to dublin airport to allow the use of the main runway for a socially distanced short TT event for an hour or two.
    the number of flights in and out of the airport is down by a factor of about 30.

it'd be great fun.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TTs are possible from Phase 4, but any RRs in Phase 5 may be limited to club leagues, as I think long-distance travel will continue to be discouraged.

I also think the idea of large groups on the road needs to be considered from a public perspective. If people are still restricted on where they can go,and social distancing is still required for activity in general, we don't want a public backlash because a group of 100+ are riding down main roads.

I do think club racing groups of say 10-15 in a group will be more "palatable" as an initial step

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

In order for events to kickstart they could run limited number events? A cap of 50-60 per race? This may not be viable long term but for a shorter season increased entry with a cap may be something to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Beasty wrote: »
    TTs are possible from Phase 4, but any RRs in Phase 5 may be limited to club leagues, as I think long-distance travel will continue to be discouraged.

re: Time Trials, I was looking at TT's from phase 2 if you have a small group and assign each of them a starting time to roll up for and start/finish and have No contact with any other person and they are within their 20km from home.
    I know our club which has a small number of TT participants each year could do the above, clubs with a lot of members maybe not, but could do it over 2 evenings.
    Anyone here started planning club TT's yet be nice to have opinions of how to do it safely.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7ae99f-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-june-8-phase-2/

Group exercise
    People can take part in outdoor sporting and fitness activities, involving team sports training in small groups (but not matches) where social distancing can be maintained and where there is no contact.

Not possible or viable.
    Travel any distance is prohibited, and to get the numbers to make it viable as an organizer would be impossible.
    If there's an incident or accident marshalls will have to be in close contact with a rider down, so it's a big ask of volunteers.
    Plus i can't help feeling the ppe required to facilitate a race day, even just a tt day is needed elsewhere, although that'd a shyte argument tbf.
    To do a tt with viable numbers, you run into issues with toilet facilities, first aid/ ambulance cover etc.

Tt's might be possible after August, I don't see how anything else could go ahead before then.

Plus I don't think I want to be in a bunch of people from all over the place snotting and spitting through a race, not knowing how they've managed lockdown themselves and how many people they've been in contact with.

I can either race or see my family really. It's been 3 months already since I've seen my family, with high risk parents, I won't sacrifice that for a bike race. I think there will be plenty similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

eeeee wrote: »
    Not possible or viable.
    Travel any distance is prohibited, and to get the numbers to make it viable as an organizer would be impossible.
    If there's an incident or accident marshalls will have to be in close contact with a rider down, so it's a big ask of volunteers.
    Plus i can't help feeling the ppe required to facilitate a race day, even just a tt day is needed elsewhere, although that'd a shyte argument tbf.
    To do a tt with viable numbers, you run into issues with toilet facilities, first aid/ ambulance cover etc.

Tt's might be possible after August, I don't see how anything else could go ahead before then.

Plus I don't think I want to be in a bunch of people from all over the place snotting and spitting through a race, not knowing how they've managed lockdown themselves and how many people they've been in contact with.

I can either race or see my family really. It's been 3 months already since I've seen my family, with high risk parents, I won't sacrifice that for a bike race. I think there will be plenty similar.

This 100%. It's the only one of the Velominiati Rules I'd break. Family before bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This 100%. It's the only one of the Velominiati Rules I'd break. Family before bikes.

You don't have my Ma.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

RobFowl wrote: »
    You don't have my Ma.....

We've all had your ma.......

Sorry couldn't resist

We've all had your ma.......

Sorry couldn't resist

I know, you Ma told me..

(sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

I was holding out great hope of the Wolftrap Sportive in September, but they’ve cancelled it last week. Don’t think we’ll see many other large events going ahead! ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Well the Dublin City Marathon has been cancelled, it was scheduled for the last weekend in October, so I'd presume that all big sportives are going yo be called off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Well Golf resumed yesterday, so IMO their is a precedent set for treating each sport differently. The DCC Marathon is a BIG event! Its what? 10,0000 participants? When you compare that to the WW200 which is 3,000 spread over a 200k route, I think there is still scope for small, outdoor sports to resume. Having said that, the conditions under which they can resume will make them less attractive to take part in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

assuming social distancing would still be in place, and there's no reason to assume otherwise yet, especially for anyone planning such a large event, they can't proceed.
    they had 22.5k participants last year; if they all had to maintain a 2m distance, they'd need 9 hectares, or over 20 acres, just to hold them all at the start line. that's almost exactly the size of stephens green, full, no room for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Still find it hard to see how a sportive can be controlled regarding physical distance. During the WW200 I've ended up in groups big enough that I dropped out of as I felt they were too big for open roads.

I've still the Dirty Reiver and the Lakelander on my calendar, but I suspect if they go ahead that will say more about the UK's response than things having changed enough for me to go (for the reasons eeeee outlined).

Social distancing is 2m now, it may not be that in August. It may be 1m or masks may be advised. Lots of things may happen.
    Using some of the logic above cycling as a group activity would never happen again.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

dahat wrote: »
    In order for events to kickstart they could run limited number events? A cap of 50-60 per race? This may not be viable long term but for a shorter season increased entry with a cap may be something to look at.

Ya, with the right wind conditions, one good snot-blow might just about cover the 50-60

Advertisement