Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hail video, mountains 7.5km NE of Sneem - 600 feet ASL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So2JVX256r0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭highdef

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Hail video, mountains 7.5km NE of Sneem - 600 feet ASL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So2JVX256r0

Great video, thanks for sharing. Any video of the frequent lightning? I love a bit of lightning on video, as long as the thunder isn't cut out, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

Big bad ass clouds out to my west, lots of thunder and lightning now but still dry as a bone.

highdef wrote: »
    Great video, thanks for sharing. Any video of the frequent lightning? I love a bit of lightning on video, as long as the thunder isn't cut out, of course.

Just uploading 1 minute clip of continuous thunder, not sure if thats got any lightening on it, didn't see any on the phone screen (I have less than 1mbs upload). I did record some but going to switch off power for the night soon as sky is looking ominous.

This thunder went on for at least 30 minutes, no lightening in this clip, will look at the others later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuCzrxgPxQo

EDIT~: I just checked and I do have a least one clip with lightening on as well. 90% of the lightening was cloud to cloud but we saw a fair few ground strikes too, nothing too close though. It seems to have sparked off first in the mountains then moved off towards Killarney, there was another cell active just across the other side of Kenmare Bay..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Why don't more thunderstorms occur over cities? More heat should equal more convection? Other factors at play I suppose.
    sunbabe08 wrote: »
    The damn snow shield has become a thunder storm shield around cork city 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Timistry

Flooding reported around Kenmare

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

All clear in Dublin 16, but can see cloud tops to my south, probably of cell just north of Tullow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder warning for Munster, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wicklow, Offaly, Monaghan and Galway
    Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Munster, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wicklow, Offaly, Monaghan and Galway

Clusters of slow-moving thunderstorms this afternoon and early evening with lightning activity and local downpours. Some hail in places also.

Valid: 16:00 Saturday 09/05/2020 to 22:00 Saturday 09/05/2020

Issued: 18:53 Saturday 09/05/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Stunning blue sky Meath

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Been thunder and lightning here, near Mallow, since about 4. We had two going at same time from different directions. So cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A few faint rumbles from this now decaying shower west of Arklow in past few mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

From my perspective the storm seemed to form Just north of Waterford city, it moved up the valley over mullinavat and knoctopher.

It also has smaller activity on the other valleys adjacent, listerlin up to thomastown and then over the linguan valley towards Callan.

There was intense angry rumbles, and still is happening as I type but I think it's fading a bit.

Got about over and hours worth of footage I'll need to sift through. Got plenty of shots. Although the lightening itself didn't seem to strike the ground, sheet lightening?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

active cell just north of waterford city, looks like it might just pass by here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just hearing the odd distant rumble in cork city, clouds are moving towards us slowly but brightening up as they get near.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Great thunderstorm around Mitchelstown between 4 and 6pm, best one Ive exp in Ireland in 20 yrs I'd say. The kids got a great kick out seeing the flashes and then hearing the corresponding thunder.

Constant rumbling for the 2 hours and some really nice lightning.

Raining now since around 6.30 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Heavy shower around the South Roscommon, Ballinasloe area in the past half hour. Not showing on the Met radar but definitely some flashes and rumbles in those clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Big thunderstorm over Virginia past half hour heavy rain and frequent lightning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice fireworks here the last 30 mins or so seemed to move east west over the comeraghs from Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

coconnellz wrote: »
    Big thunderstorm over Virginia past half hour heavy rain and frequent lightning

I can see the towering clouds to the northwest from Ashbourne. It looks like it's coming my way. Not often we get a thunderstorm from this direction. I hope it doesn't fizzle out, haven't had a good thunderstorm in years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lightning visible in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just looked on the app not heard anything on news etc. Will this get better...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Managed to get a few Over waterford

49875918947_a873456086.jpg

49875077968_f3ecce5a9d.jpg

49875919602_0c4b57b651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fantastic Spookwoman!

Sweet

spookwoman wrote: »
    Managed to get a few Over waterford

49875918947_a873456086.jpg

49875077968_f3ecce5a9d.jpg

49875919602_0c4b57b651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Watching the lightning over Laois from here in Kilkenny, it seems to be picking up, hoping the rain is heading to me from it, the lightning would be a bonus.
    15mm today but more would be great...
    Probably the most thunderous day in years.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Watching the lightning over Laois from here in Kilkenny, it seems to be picking up, hoping the rain is heading to me from it, the lightning would be a bonus.
    15mm today but more would be great...
    Probably the most thunderous day in years.

Just looking on storm radar looks like it will fizzle out heading towards kilkenny carlow direction,according to the app anyway not an expert but never heard anything today about this but some folk saying weather to turn cold....

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

Thunderstorm over castlecomer now. Quite a strong one as well. Very slow moving. Tried to get some video but phone is letting me down big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Thepillowman

MikeD22 wrote: »
    Thunderstorm over castlecomer now. Quite a strong one as well. Very slow moving. Tried to get some video but phone is letting me down big time

Watching it lighting up the sky in East Clare.

Advertisement