Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

kylith wrote: »
    Any tips for them? Are they supposed to be quite wet inside?

Not wet as such, but not dry.
    Keep the heat medium, they do take a while to cook.

I cook them in an iron skillet on the hob, but I see a lot of recipes finishing them off in the oven.

My attempt:

IMAG0011.jpg

You can also slice them open, and fill with black beans, cheese etc.

But the texture is very tight. Not like breads.

To be honest, I really don't know.
    This was just my attempt, I got the wrong corn flour too.

I'm sure any South American person here would laugh at me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not wet as such, but not dry.
    Keep the heat medium, they do take a while to cook.

I cook them in an iron skillet on the hob, but I see a lot of recipes finishing them off in the oven.

My attempt:

IMAG0011.jpg

You can also slice them open, and fill with black beans, cheese etc.

But the texture is very tight. Not like breads.

To be honest, I really don't know.
    This was just my attempt, I got the wrong corn flour too.

I'm sure any South American person here would laugh at me.

A friend from Venezuela made these for me once, with lots of different fillings. I'm not sure I'd be keen on them without filling, I think they'd be very bland.

I'd say google different fillings and try some, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm going to give them a try again and maybe stuff them with cheese from the start.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

kylith wrote: »
    I'm going to give them a try again and maybe stuff them with cheese from the start.

I had problems getting them big enough to stuff as they would crack at the sides.

I guess it's a matter of practise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rare thing before a weekend work day, or an exceptionally early weekday one is a McDonalds breakfast which does quite well in the comfort food stakes

Nearest outlet was a Burger King today. McDonald's are dead to me now

Already preferred the normal burgers but the breakfasts are streets ahead. Brioche of the usual bits and cheese + a bag of hash brown bites really does make a McMuffin look rather sad

Suspect the calories and other figures will make this have to become an even rarer occurrence though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Has anyone ever stored egg whites in the fridge overnight to use the next day?
    Made lemon curd today and going to make the cake tonight but will wait until tomorrow to make the buttercream...would be a shame to throw them out

*not looking for food safety advice. All research says uncooked whites ok to store in the fridge for a few days. It just seems like an odd thing to do.

Alternatively, I could just make cookies tonight from the egg whites :D Got the hello cookie do cookbook during the week and she uses pasteurised egg whites to make the dough she eats raw, but I could use the unpasteurised ones to make the dough to go into cookies, her recipes give the instructions for baking to dough too.

While on the subject, has anyone ever 'heat treated' flour to allow you to eat things with 'raw flour'? I've never had an issue with eating raw cake batter and stuff but then you only have a bit of that, her book says the raw flour in cookie dough is a much bigger issue than raw eggs and gives instructions on heat treating flour. Not sure I'd be big on eating raw cookie dough, I like my cookies in a delicious, solid crispy form but interested to see what the fuss is about. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can freeze them, too. The egg yolks not so much (they come out of the freezer looking like they've been hard boiled), but the albumen is fine.

As for the flour, I was always told it can give you a tummy ache if eaten raw (in large quantities, I suppose). I don't know if it's the starch, the gluten or something else entirely that causes the problem.

You can always add leftover eggwhites into omelettes, or to make meringues. :) Yum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Realised after that I could make the buttercream tonight either and just put it in the fridge and make the actual cakes tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Anybody got any good tips for cleaning the big heavy cast iron cooker tops like the pic below.

Enamel-Cast-iron-pan-support-gas-cooktop.png_350x350.png

I know elbow grease is king but is there a quicker/easier way? Oven pride is great for cleaning oven parts but I don't think you can use it on cast iron?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes. Get a large basin (something big enough to submerge the lot). Fill the basin with boiling water, and dissolve a good amount (don't overdo it, though) of washing soda/soda crystals (NOT caustic soda!!!) into it, then soak the grills. It works very well but repeat as necessary. If you have a metal container (like a large oven tray) that could contain them, you can actually boil them with the soda/water mixture (crack a window just in case, and don't let it evaporate completely.

Alternatively, you can boil them in a mixture of water and wood ash (NOT coal or peat ash, or a combination. It has to be pure wood ash).

If you want something more "delicate" (but you may have to repeat the process more than once), replace the washing soda with baking soda/sodium bicarbonate/bicarbonate of soda (they're all the same thing, but don't confuse them with baking powder).

• Advertisement

Cool. Thanks.

I think I'll try the washing soda method. Just need to find something big enough to soak them in now!

How long would you soak them for?

Until the water is cool/lukewarm. But the hotter the water you start off with, the more effective/faster it is.

You can thank my Granny for that! :)

Forgot to mention - you can still give them a scrub with a washing up brush while they soak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stick them in the dishwasher on a high temperature?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Toying around with Bazmo's stuffing balls, not a euphemism, and said I'd try finely chopping a small mushroom selection and trying them with the onions. Will report back in an hour if I like them more than before.

:D

Oh God, they're amazing. I had another thought there of adding garlic granules to a plate of bread crumbs,that I roll the balls in before I put them on the tray for roasting.

I flew out earlier, got ingredients and had them in the oven before herself knew it. Had them on a plate cooling, asked her what she thought.

She said nothing, but went out to the kitchen 2 more times. Silence is golden I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone else notice lately that, by far, the busiest threads here are the Aldi and Lidl threads.
    I wonder why this is? It's curious.

No Dunne's, Tesco or Supervalu threads or general supermarkets thread but consistently busy Lidl and Aldi threads.

Now, I'm not complaining, I like both shops.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've just heard about this Flavacol stuff that you use to season home made popcorn so it tastes like cinema ppopcorn. Anyone know a reputable online seller in Ireland? I see it on Amazon and then a couple of other sites I've never heard of, FunFoods.ie is one. Anyone familiar with them?

Sounds like an acronym for flavour+cholesterol...

(Sorry I can't help)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone else notice lately that, by far, the busiest threads here are the Aldi and Lidl threads.

No Dunne's, Tesco or Supervalu threads or general supermarkets thread but consistently busy Lidl and Aldi threads.

Now, I'm not complaining, I like both shops.

I think part of it is they tend to have more new products and own brand stuff than the other supermarkets. I personally would like a general supermarket recommendations thread for other stuff - I often find good stuff in other supermarkets too. The supervalu 85% chocolate is very nice for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

The thing I think curious is that the Aldi thread has about 5800 posts, while the Lidl thread has about 1800. The Lidl thread started in 2012, the Aldi in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The german discounters have been a godsend. Quality non-branded food at great prices. I, like loads of people obviously, am very proud to shop in them and will sing their praises at every opportunity. We owe the other supermarkets nothing!

If we analysed the posts further, I wonder what percentage would be recommendations for deserts, cakes, biscuits and confectionery? I'm guessing 50%+ (Probably followed closely by those Lidl onion rings!) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The german discounters have been a godsend. Quality non-branded food at great prices. I, like loads of people obviously, am very proud to shop in them and will sing their praises at every opportunity. We owe the other supermarkets nothing!

If we analysed the posts further, I wonder what percentage would be recommendations for deserts, cakes, biscuits and confectionery? I'm guessing 50%+ (Probably followed closely by those Lidl onion rings!) :rolleyes:

Ah now the chicken thigh burgers practically accounted for a thread by themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Guys, I wonder would you have any advice for me? I'm planning on making brie and cranberry parcels for Christmas dinner and am wondering which would be better? Filo or puff pastry? I'm just gonna be buying the pre-made stuff but I think filo can be a PIA to work with. Also I'd like to assemble them the day before so I don't have to faff about with them the morning of the dinner. I think the filo would dry out if I left it in the fridge overnight? Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Guys, I wonder would you have any advice for me? I'm planning on making brie and cranberry parcels for Christmas dinner and am wondering which would be better? Filo or puff pastry? I'm just gonna be buying the pre-made stuff but I think filo can be a PIA to work with. Also I'd like to assemble them the day before so I don't have to faff about with them the morning of the dinner. I think the filo would dry out if I left it in the fridge overnight? Thoughts?

I'd go with puff - filo looks really gorgeous but it tends to be either very dry or kind of leathery. I made little flower-shaped goats cheese/ caramelized onion tartlets one christmas and while they looked really pretty, the pastry 'petals' were a bit of a chore to actually eat.

Puff tastes as good as it looks :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mollyb60 wrote: »

Filo is what they’re usually made out of. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Brie and cranberry parcels made from puff. But that being said, I’ve made them before and even using shop bought filo, they were a complete pain in the ass to make!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tangy wrote: »
    The thing I think curious is that the Aldi thread has about 5800 posts, while the Lidl thread has about 1800. The Lidl thread started in 2012, the Aldi in 2015.

Aldi are targetting themselves as the discounter M&S; Lidl as the discounter Tesco (to hideously simplify both) so it would be expected that there would be more variety of and interest in food from Aldi.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

L1011 wrote: »
    Aldi are targetting themselves as the discounter M&S; Lidl as the discounter Tesco (to hideously simplify both) so it would be expected that there would be more variety of and interest in food from Aldi.

My personal shopping experience in both (they're right opposite each other here, so it's easy enough) is that Lidl is fantastic for ingredients - fresh fruit and veg are brilliant, good selection of dairy and cheeses, good selection of ingredients for baking, etc etc.
    But they don't do an awful lot of ready meals.
    Aldi on the other hand are somewhat more restricted when it comes to ingredients, but have a much larger selection of ready-made items.

Few people would be compelled to come online to rave about the fantastic leeks they bought yesterday, or brilliant flour and sugar, or even amazing butter.
    They're much more likely to talk about the Korma, the Thai Curry, the shepard's pie and so on.

• Advertisement

Was watching something on the telly earlier, James Martin was doing a pasta dish. He had an automatic pasta machine. Looked deadly. Drop everything in a vat, it mixes, goes out a funnel, let it set for 10 mins, then boil. I've used the deep fat fryer 3 times, so it's gonna make room if I do purchase. Am I mad? Had anyone got a pasta maker?

Advertisement