Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

• 07-08-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I've had a suggestion to set up a Gas BBQ thread.

If, like me, you've chosen to go with gas as opposed to charcoal because it's just so damn quick and easy then maybe we can use this thread to get the most out of it.

I'll start off with how to turn your gas bbq into a smoker......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvxIkeT9YEY

Here's an easy DIY smoker tray. You can buy the silver trays in Dealz. You can also buy flavoured wood chips there.

https://happymoneysaver.com/easy-homemade-bbq-smoker-plans/

Then here's the same guy doing some ribs.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcdNtbc59Kw

We have some friends coming for dinner on Saturday so I think I'll see how it goes. Watch this space! :D

Comments

Thanks Gloomtastic!- great idea for a thread if I should say so myself! :D

While I know there's less skill involved in using a Gas BBQ, there's still a skill and things to learn. I notice a few people enquiring in other threads about Gas BBQ's so do post your queries here. I've been outdoor gas grilling (as opposed to BBQ'ing) for a number of years now, all year round- even in the snows :D So I've picked up a few tips and tricks along the way.

When I've time again, I'll come back and contribute my experiences but do feel free to ask Q's or just get involved in the thread - it might become a good resource for the forum.

I use a Weber Spirit - two burner- which does fine for my requirements. I replaced the worse than dreadful porcelain grill plates with cast iron (which I believe most are sold with now, but do be careful)- and I'm on my second batch of flavouriser bars- but would still greatly recommend Weber over cheap no-name brands you get in the likes of woodies, due to bad past experiences of rust, replacement parts scarce and overall poorer performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bumping this thread with a pic of yesterday’s BBQ chicken thighs and a smattering of wings. Loving my gas barbie at the moment. :)

6-FD546-FE-13-FE-4-D57-9-A49-2-C0-AC257-C626.jpg

I make my bbq sauce in bulk. It stores in the fridge for weeks.

Half a bottle of tomato ketchup
    4 tablespoons soft dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon of treacle
    2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce
    2 tablespoons Wine/Cider Vinegar
    1 desert spoon of mustard powder
    Salt/Pepper

Throw everything into a small pot and heat through so the sugar melts. That’s it! :)

The Chicken thighs in Aldi are brilliant. For €2 you get the tastiest part of the chicken, stick the filleted skin and bones into a pot of boiling water for a few hours and you can then render to get dog food (never feed a dog cooked chicken bones, they splinter) for a few days and also chicken stock to boot!

Like everything in life, you just have to put the work in. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That looks so fab. Gas is so handy - we had steaks on ours last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My gas BBQ has finally rusted away.
    Probably not a great time to be looking for a new one.

Do people find that the flavour bars give the same result as lava rocks or ceramic stones?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Not able to compare directly with anything, but i haven't noticed a particular difference. They are significantly easier to clean than lava coals but harder to balance wood chips on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Bought this the other day https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/iq-4-burner-gas-bbq-with-side-burner.-free-accessory-pack-includes-bbq-cover-and-utensil-set-iqbq4bchts should be delivered next week hopefully, looking forward to getting it going, I liked the hot plate element on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

(never feed a dog cooked chicken bones, they splinter)
    If they are pressure cooked for long enough they will disintegrate, you can crumble them by hand to be sure.

My gas BBQ has finally rusted away.
    Probably not a great time to be looking for a new one.

Do people find that the flavour bars give the same result as lava rocks or ceramic stones?

I had a no-brand one from Woodies years ago- did the same thing. I know Weber gas BBQs are expensive but they do save you in the long run i've found. Also, they have replaceable parts and good accessories which also helps.

Lot's of Weber outlets stores like the Orchard in Celbridge deliver
    https://www.theorchard.ie

There's a stockist in Clondalkin also and one in Goatstown, both Dublin, if that helps- again, these places may deliver.

AEH1984 wrote: »
    Bought this the other day https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/iq-4-burner-gas-bbq-with-side-burner.-free-accessory-pack-includes-bbq-cover-and-utensil-set-iqbq4bchts should be delivered next week hopefully, looking forward to getting it going, I liked the hot plate element on it.

I got a cast iron insert for my Weber BBQ a few years ago- great for frying fish outdoors- keeps all of the cooking odours outdoors- chars and cooks fresh veg in a few minutes- it was expensive (about 50 quid) but it's well made and well worth it. Enjoy your new toy when it arrives and let us know how you get on.

Anyone have views on Broil King v Weber?

• Advertisement

Anyone have views on Broil King v Weber?

Davegilly’s last post in the main bbq thread has a view. Seems plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Hi, does anyone have any experience on the Sahara range of gas bbq’s. looking at one of there 3 burner ones as it fits into my small price range. It will be my first bbq so not looking to spend big until I see how I get on. If I get 2-3 summers out of it I would be happy enough

bambam26 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone have any experience on the Sahara range of gas bbq’s. looking at one of there 3 burner ones as it fits into my small price range. It will be my first bbq so not looking to spend big until I see how I get on. If I get 2-3 summers out of it I would be happy enough

I think any BBQ will last a long time if you can keep it indoors.
    Clean it at the end and start of every season and look after the wooden parts (if any).

I think any BBQ will last a long time if you can keep it indoors.
    Clean it at the end and start of every season and look after the wooden parts (if any).

Problem is determining the end of the season. ‘Will I use it next week? Depends on the weather but I’ll leave it just in case’.

Then 6 months later you open it to reveal a smorgasbord of fungal life. :eek:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Never knew this thread existed :)

I've a BBQ I got from Amazon last year.
    Keep it covered in a she'd over winter and it'd fine.

It's been out non stop this past few weeks.clean it after every used and put tin foil on the bottom to catch the grease.

This lockdown is great. 5 minutes from work to putting the burgers on:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A good cover is essential if you're using it all year round. We use ours right through the winter, it's just outside the back door.

Well, I decided to order the Broil King Royal 320 from A Room Outside.
    Will report back when it arrives and I'm up and running.

Well, 20 minutes after my last post, the grill arrived! I only ordered it on Wednesday from A Room Outside, so top marks there.

Got it assembled. Had to change gas bottle for propane. I'm seasoning the cast iron grills now,then off to find some fantastic steaks.

So far, I'm very happy with the build quality and it seems to get very hot, very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Happy days, got an email yesterday saying mine was dispatched so hoping to get it Monday at this stage.

Shame to be missing a weekend with it, but looking forward to getting it.

Will be spending the weekend thinking of things I'll be cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

First time poster here - went for a Weber E310 today from my local garden center. Really a first time BBQ'er so looking up recipies for homemade BBQ sauce etc

Hopefully will be here in time for the BH weekend!

• Advertisement

^^^^ lots of newbies and newbie BBQs- great to see guys- enjoy and let us know how it’s going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Comerman

Got a 6 Burner Gas bbq from argos today (budgetary reason) cooked burgers and chicken this evening which turned out very nice but there was a lot of flare up. I think it's where the bbq was positioned as it can be a bit draughty but reading the instructions it says "burners should always be on the low setting during cooking" is this right?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Any opinions on this, https://www.saharabbqs.com/products/x350-gas-bbq/

My Char Broil patio bbq packed in there a while ago, looking for a replacement.

Cooked a couple of ribeyes and some aubergine on the new Broil King yesterday evening.
    I'm very happy - much hotter than the last one with less flare-up.

I think it's fair to say I needed a new one.
    The old one was still actually standing until I tried to move it. Last used last Autumn. It didn't owe me any favours.

https://i.imgur.com/LuogRMy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cooked a couple of ribeyes and some aubergine on the new Broil King yesterday evening.
    I'm very happy - much hotter than the last one with less flare-up.

I think it's fair to say I needed a new one.
    The old one was still actually standing until I tried to move it. Last used last Autumn. It didn't owe me any favours.

https://i.imgur.com/LuogRMy.jpg

Think you said you changed to propane I think I’m right in saying it burns hotter than the gas out of yellow cylinders.
    I’m much the same I had a broil king for years that eventually gave up the ghost last year but I was getting the garden completely redone so didn’t want a new bbq in the way, just got a Weber spirit delivered and changed over to propane and it gets the heat up much better.

Comerman wrote: »
    Got a 6 Burner Gas bbq from argos today (budgetary reason) cooked burgers and chicken this evening which turned out very nice but there was a lot of flare up. I think it's where the bbq was positioned as it can be a bit draughty but reading the instructions it says "burners should always be on the low setting during cooking" is this right?

Was the chicken covered in an oil based marinade? If so, that’s the likely cause and yes, as a result, you should lower the temp and keep lid closed - treat the grill more like an outdoor oven- it will cook quicker than an oven, it will have char, but you’ll avoid the flare ups -but high temp should be used for cooking steaks - you only need a couple of mins each side at a hot temp and then some resting time for a good medium steak - low temp for steak would be disastrous in that you’re likely to get tough meat.

I’ve moved to medium temp cooking for burgers- i find it retains their shape and keeps more moisture- really hot grill with lid closed and burgers become like rocks very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Comerman

Was the chicken covered in an oil based marinade?

Yes and sugar :-) live and learn eh. Thanks for the advice p

Comerman wrote: »
    Yes and sugar :-) live and learn eh. Thanks for the advice p

Ah glad to help- when I first started with gas BBQs I was cooking full blast with the lid always open- I mean, you can do that but it’s a waste of gas and you’re chained to the BBQ the whole time.
    The beauty of gas BBQ is once you get to know your grill and it’s optimum cooking temp for various different foods, you just let it do its thing while you get the rest of the meal ready or indeed sit and relax with a drink - a little patience in cooking times is the secret to successful gas BBQing. Also consider dry rubs for chicken with skin on or fatty foods like chops- that will reduce flare ups and you can always dip them in BBQ sauce once cooked

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Folks - in terms of getting a few bits and pieces for the BBQ to start off what do people recommend? The Weber Arrived today and just setting it up.

Thinking of the iGrill 2 thermometer along with a good pair of thongs, what else does a person need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Folks - in terms of getting a few bits and pieces for the BBQ to start off what do people recommend? The Weber Arrived today and just setting it up.

Thinking of the iGrill 2 thermometer along with a good pair of thongs, what else does a person need?

I use the spatula type thing the most, I use a kitchen thermometer usually and only use the fancy one when I’m cooking something big.

Advertisement