Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New cinema opening date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

I'm entitled to my own opinion if that upsets you so be it.

I'm not upset by your opinion, I'm upset by your constant whinging

Has the new Cinema improved at all? Has anyone been to it since.
    The new Galactic screen 1 is brilliant, reclining seats with loads of space, huge screen and amazing sound.
    Isn't it 15 EUR per ticket for the Galactic screen. That's a lot and plus buying food very expensive.

Like what's your problem? You re-ignited this thread ostensibly looking for new opinions. When someone chimes in with a positive experience, immediately you feel the need to negate it with more irrelevant moaning. What does the price of food have to do with that persons opinion of the screen & sound quality? Do you have any evidence to show that food is any more expensive in the new cinema than any other in the country?

Why do you have such a personal vendetta? Did IMC bully you as a kid or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭FunkyJunky6969

I'm not upset by your opinion, I'm upset by your constant whinging

Like what's your problem? You re-ignited this thread ostensibly looking for new opinions. When someone chimes in with a positive experience, immediately you feel the need to negate it with more irrelevant moaning. What does the price of food have to do with that persons opinion of the screen & sound quality? Do you have any evidence to show that food is any more expensive in the new cinema than any other in the country?

Why do you have such a personal vendetta? Did IMC bully you as a kid or something?

I was simply giving my opinion that 15 EUR per ticket and if one was to add food to that it would be an expensive trip to the cinema.

I'm allowed to give my opinion and your entitled to disagree no problem with that.

Any thoughts on the new cinema peeps? Bit underwhelming imo apart from good quality seats
    Yeah I agree the atmosphere in there is a bit dull, not much conversation out of the staff to the customer. The queue's when it gets anyway busy is ridiculous and I had to get a refund because they sold a ticket when the cinema was sold out. First impressions are important because you only get o
    I noticed the picture and sound quality are not of high quality. Picture is clearly not Full HD and the sound is not Dolby Atmos. Most modern day cinemas have these elements as standard in a cinema. So it's disappointing that IMC don't have these as one would expect in a brand new cinema. Odeon ci
    Yeah it's a pity it had good potential to stand out and be the best cinema in the south east. A 12 screen cinema but not all screens ready as of yet. If compared to the Omniplex cinema in Mahon Point in Cork a 13 screen cinema it's a facility that has all the mod cons that make it stand out
    The new cinema shouldn't have opened when it's clearly noticeable that a lot more had to be done. Myself and my kids went to see Dumbo on the weekend bought a family ticket at the till went into the screen and all the seats were full it was sold out but they kept selling tickets to people! So we
    Yes but first impressions are important and the place is fairly basic thus creating a sterile atmosphere. The layout and colour scheme of the interior is lacking a wow factor and I agree with a previous comment that the movie quotes on the walls could have been done a lot better, they just look ch
    Isn't it 15 EUR per ticket for the Galactic screen. That's a lot and plus buying food very expensive

We're all plenty familiar with your opinion by now, hating the new cinema is literally all you post about. Half the time the thread is dead and you're just moaning to yourself, get over it

We're all plenty familiar with your opinion by now, hating the new cinema is literally all you post about. Half the time the thread is dead and you're just moaning to yourself, get over it

Let's just agree to disagree. No need to get personal.

Let's just agree to disagree. No need to get personal.

No, I don't agree with you in any way shape or form, anyone with half a brain can see you have a bone to pick with the new cinema for some reason. Just give over ****ieng on about it all the time

• Advertisement

No, I don't agree with you in any way shape or form, anyone with half a brain can see you have a bone to pick with the new cinema for some reason. Just give over ****ieng on about it all the time

Your clearly not mature enough to have a civilized conversation with.

On boards a person is entitled to give an opinion that's what this forum is about. I can do whatever I want.

You disagree clearly that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Your clearly not mature enough to have a civilized conversation with.

On boards a person is entitled to give an option that's what this forum is about. I can do whatever I want.

You disagree clearly that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

You clearly are not listening to what I'm saying.

For the third time, the issue is not that you have an opinion I disagree with. To be completely honest, I haven't even been to the new cinema yet, so we might actually be in agreement, so again YOU NOT LIKING THE NEW CINEMA DOES NOT BOTHER ME

The issue is your constant harping on about how bad it is. Why did you resurrect this thread asking 'Has the new Cinema improved at all?' ?

Clearly you weren't interested in that, because when someone replied saying that they had a great time there, you just started giving out about something entirely different to what they said. Obviously you just wanted another excuse to moan, that's where my issue lies

For the third time, the issue is not that you have an opinion I disagree with. To be completely honest, I haven't even been to the new cinema yet, so we might actually be in agreement, so again YOU NOT LIKING THE NEW CINEMA DOES NOT BOTHER ME

The issue is your constant harping on about how bad it is. Why did you resurrect this thread asking 'Has the new Cinema improved at all?' ?

Clearly you weren't interested in that, because when someone replied saying that they had a great time there, you just started giving out about something entirely different to what they said. Obviously you just wanted another excuse to moan, that's where my issue lies

Ok I understand you now. No worries. I can see we are not going anywhere so have good evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

The guy is entitled to his opinion , if he wants to keep posting on this thread that his right , also you aggressively moaning about him moaning is a bit rich. The new cinema has issues ,when it was being built I was very excited about it but it has been a disappointment ever since it opened and needs to sort itself out.

imacman wrote: »
    The guy is entitled to his opinion , if he wants to keep posting on this thread that his right , also you aggressively moaning about him moaning is a bit rich. The new cinema has issues ,when it was being built I was very excited about it but it has been a disappointment ever since it opened and needs to sort itself out.

Thank you imacman. I too had high hopes for the new cinema but it has had it's issues. I'm not to only poster to boards that felt the same.

I agree the irony of the previous poster aggressively moaning about me moaning is funny :) plus they admit themselves they have never actually been to the cinema, so it would make sense for people that have actually went to the cinema to post an opinion.

I and others were really excited about the opening of the place we spend our hard earned money in the place and expect value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

OOOOKKKAAAYYYY so this thread went off on one.
    Anyway FunkyJunky not attacking I swear!

If Screen 1 is a decent mini representation of an Imax/Isense then the €15 per ticket would be inline with most of the larger screens of that style.
    Isense at the point in dublin is farily expensive, seeing Star Wars Force awakens held a hefty premium there in 2015, didn't come away with much from €50 euro after parking, tickets, popcorn etc for 2

Is there an extra charge in Carlow do we know? (More just curious!!)

Great to have a proper cinema all the same in the city, the old one just was no longer up to scratch.
    But it is the price you pay for a new building Big cinema is the extra cost for the equipment, but only if its good, and finished!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please leave the modding to the moderators. People can post opinions all they like within the parameters of the charter, it's not your place to decide how often they should do that. If you've problem with a post report it or get over it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Happened to see a x-men in Screen 1 during the weekend, had no idea what galactic was about when booking the tickets (they might want to add that info to the website!). I only booked based on the suitable time.

Seats were nice, bigger screen and all that. I personally didn't notice any difference in sound and some muppet behind us spent about 40minutes of the movie intentionally adjusting his seat over and over so you could hear the electric motor in the seat. (even his friends told him to bloody stop)

Very poor that a month on since the last time I was in the cinema the place still feels desperately unfinished with work equipment still being left around the main lobby, no tv screens mounted on the wall in the lobby and those cheap looking movie quotes stuck on the walls,

coolisin wrote: »
    OOOOKKKAAAYYYY so this thread went off on one.
    Anyway FunkyJunky not attacking I swear!

If Screen 1 is a decent mini representation of an Imax/Isense then the €15 per ticket would be inline with most of the larger screens of that style.
    Isense at the point in dublin is farily expensive, seeing Star Wars Force awakens held a hefty premium there in 2015, didn't come away with much from €50 euro after parking, tickets, popcorn etc for 2

Is there an extra charge in Carlow do we know? (More just curious!!)

Great to have a proper cinema all the same in the city, the old one just was no longer up to scratch.
    But it is the price you pay for a new building Big cinema is the extra cost for the equipment, but only if its good, and finished!!

Comparing it to Carlow which would be a fair comparison similar to Kilkenny, the price for a VIP ticket in their Galactic screen is €10:60 for an adult ticket and it's also €7:10 for an adult on a Monday and a Thursday they have an offer on those days.

Compare that to €15 all day every day of the week in Kilkenny !

The price in Carlow would represent a fair price in my humble opinion/moan :) haha.

Fair point about the extra cost but as you say only if it's worth it.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Please leave the modding to the moderators. People can post opinions all they like within the parameters of the charter, it's not your place to decide how often they should do that. If you've problem with a post report it or get over it.

Thank you Gaspode. I tried to be civil and engage in an appropriate manner with the poster and meet half way in our differing points of view but to no avail I was only met with aggressive responses.

Ok I had high hopes for the cinema and it hasn't lived up to them. I am just stating what I experienced as a customer there and giving a different fact on the Galactic screen ie price comparison. It's normal to have a debate about the plus and minuses of any topic.

If a person can't accept that then they can call me whatever they want. They come out the worst and I'll have the last laugh/moan :) joke lol !

Comparing it to Carlow which would be a fair comparison similar to Kilkenny, the price for a VIP ticket in their Galactic screen is €10:60 for an adult ticket and it's also €7:10 for an adult on a Monday and a Thursday they have an offer on those days.

Compare that to €15 all day every day of the week in Kilkenny !

This would represent a fair price in my humble opinion/moaning :) haha.

Fair point about the extra cost but as you say only if it's worth it.

Wow just looked up the price of the tickets in Carlow for avengers on a Friday night and it was as you said €21 all in on Screen 1.
    I had forgotten I paid for those tickets.

But as the other poster said it was not yet finished then they should not be charging a premium until it is all in place.
    Also poster said it was no different other then the seats well f**k that, I'm on your side :D

EDIT: I do not think you are moaning just listening to your opinion!

coolisin wrote: »
    Wow just looked up the price of the tickets in Carlow for avengers on a Friday night and it was as you said €21 all in on Screen 1.
    I had forgotten I paid for those tickets.

But as the other poster said it was not yet finished then they should not be charging a premium until it is all in place.
    Also poster said it was no different other then the seats well f**k that, I'm on your side :D

EDIT: I do not think you are moaning just listening to your opinion!

Nice one 'coolisin' no worries at all I appreciate that. The truth speaks for itself. Just stating what's going on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The other issue was red lighting on the steps in the cinema reflected off the screen & gave scenes a pinkish hue.

This unnecessary visual distraction is still an issue at the cinema.

What's the point of a cinematographer, lighting designer and director taking the time to achieve the look they're after, only for every dark scene to be marred by the reflection of 'we're terrified of being sued' OTT strip lights on the cinema steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Yamanoto wrote: »
    This unnecessary visual distraction is still an issue at the cinema.

What's the point of a cinematographer, lighting designer and director taking the time to achieve the look they're after, only for every dark scene to be marred by the reflection of 'we're terrified of being sued' OTT strip lights on the cinema steps.

Another reason not to go to the cinema..What with people on phones,late arrivals,confusion over where to sit,people nattering incessantly and insane prices.

A dose really..:D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the large empty space behind the stairs on the ground floor? A coffee shop or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the large empty space behind the stairs on the ground floor? A coffee shop or something?

If its anything like Waterford's newer cinema when it opened years back it took some time for the bottom space to be filled, a few years in fact. But it eventually got a coffee/ice cream area with seats.

I'd imagine right now the footfall around the area just isn't good enough for a coffee area. But once the construction works are finished nearby it should bring more people around and it'll change.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They don't seem to be showing the new Terminator movie at all at the IMC, at least not according to their website. No mention of it in the listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

They don't seem to be showing the new Terminator movie at all at the IMC, at least not according to their website. No mention of it in the listings.

No sign of it. By all accounts it is meant to be woeful so probably did us a favour but a bit much for a movie release of that magnitude not to be on

Bowlardo wrote: »
    No sign of it. By all accounts it is meant to be woeful so probably did us a favour but a bit much for a movie release of that magnitude not to be on

I saw a fella on Twitter ask them if they were showing it and IMC bluntly said no. No reason offered as to why in their answer. Would love to know why they weren't showing one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of the year. I went to see it when I was home in Cork. Movie was so so.

I saw a fella on Twitter ask them if they were showing it and IMC bluntly said no. No reason offered as to why in their answer. Would love to know why they weren't showing one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of the year. I went to see it when I was home in Cork. Movie was so so.
    No Le Mans 66 ( Ford versus Ferrari ) his week either, which is meant to be great .Its on in the Odeon and Omniplex in Waterford. 16 screens in Kilkenny and there are still movies we cant see, its embarrassing. The new cinema and IMC has been nothing but a disappointment

imacman wrote: »
    No Le Mans 66 ( Ford versus Ferrari ) his week either, which is meant to be great .Its on in the Odeon and Omniplex in Waterford. 16 screens in Kilkenny and there are still movies we cant see, its embarrassing. The new cinema and IMC has been nothing but a disappointment

I wonder what the deal is? You wouldn't mind so much if the other cinema in town was a competing chain that were actually showing the movie.

Went to see Jumanji with my daughter before Christmas and I didnt realize the show we picked was in the max screen , I have to say 15 euro charge for the max screen with no discount for children or teens is crazy for a cinema ticket.If you buy popcorn too its nearly €50 for two people to go to the cinema.

Anyway I had a voucher for 2 tickets for 10 euro and I couldn't use that for the max screening which is fair enough but the guy on the desk said I come back for the next screening an hour later one in one of the smaller screens and I could use it .
    I came back and he was gone and the girl on the desk told me they didn't accept the vouchers, I had enough so I went across town to the old cinema where I had no problem using the voucher. Yet again let down by the new cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed on the prices for the max screen. We compared it with the Odeon in Portlaoise for Star Wars and it was almost 50% dearer for adult +2 children in the new cinema.

Ah lads the odeon in portlaoise does not compare to screen 1 in this cinema.
    It's a different beast completely.

And I have being in portlaoise recently. So i know it hasn't really changed since 2004.

IMC in carlow screen 1 in fairness is closer but the chairs and space in kilkenny are where the extra cost lies.

Was in screen 1 before xmas to see star wars and the heating was on the blink, oh good god it was cold!
    Can't believe the heating broke already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Each to their own I guess Coolisin but personally I think forking out €45 for one adult +2 children just for the tickets, never mind popcorn or drinks, is just crazy money.
    Maybe the boom is back for some but not in this household it ain't!
    I doubt the children gave a crap about the difference between the two cinemas either.

Advertisement