Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DPD Parcel Wizard - DPD Pickup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

Millem wrote: »
    Thanks Op! I order a good bit from the uk and use parcel motel :)
    Where do I collect my package? Is it delivered to my house ?

From the second sentence of the OP....

"Its like Parcel Motel except they deliver to your house...."

masit wrote: »
    Won't be until after Christmas, but An Post will be starting the same kind of service. They will have a warehouse in London, so UK mainland postage only will be available to Ireland. Won't be delivered to your house but to a post office you select when registering. You will get a text or email when it's at this post office and will have 5 days to pick it up before being returned. Think it's going to cost in or around €3.50 per delivery.
    Had a few problems with DPD myself. Parcel motel is great for the UK stuff, but the UK mainland only delivery stuff is a bit of a pain.

and then you will have to suffer the seemingly always long queues in post offices I presume - don't fancy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I just don't like DPD because of the local guy. He's just a bitter man who gets annoyed when you have the audacity not to be at home when he arrives. They call between 9-5pm when people are generally at work. Go Figure.

It's good that there will be some competition but I don't like the fact that DPD UK have been, sometimes, refusing to deliver to Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Berty wrote: »
    I just don't like DPD because of the local guy. He's just a bitter man who gets annoyed when you have the audacity not to be at home when he arrives. They call between 9-5pm when people are generally at work. Go Figure.

It's good that there will be some competition but I don't like the fact that DPD UK have been, sometimes, refusing to deliver to Parcel Motel.

If you get it delivered to parcel motel do you have to pay for parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

If you get it delivered to parcel motel do you have to pay for parcel motel

Seriously? Of course you do. Completely separate service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Berty wrote: »

My local DPD man is great :)
    Thanks to OP for sharing this, perfect timing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Ehh, the main reason I love parcel motel is that I can pick it up when its convenient for me and I'm not at the mercy of a two hour delivery window in a work week.

I've had my fair share of issues with DPD as well, namely the recent delivery(ies) of my Virgin Media stuff.

Not for me, but certainly handy for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Techmaster wrote: »
    Seriously? Of course you do. Completely separate service.

Techmaster it was a genuine question.

If you have to pay for it then why would you use dpd to send it to parcel motel? Surely you would just use parcel motel and not bother with dpd.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you have to pay for it then why would you use dpd to send it to parcel motel? Surely you would just use parcel motel and not bother with dpd.

No, No. DPD are already a massive courier company and handle deliveries in the UK(for example) so let's say I order something from Seller X in Leicester and want it delivered to Parcel Motel in Newtownabbey(to avail of free UK shipping) I don't know what courier they might use.

They then decide to use DPD who tell the seller they are refusing to deliver there and the seller has to refund my money.

Has happened to me with Motorola where DPD refused to deliver to Parcel Motel(blacklisted the address) and on Amazon.de where DHL refused to deliver to Parcel Motel(Nightline Couriers).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

yeah, that's what I'm saying. Instead of PM I'm getting PW delivered to the office

Why not just get your parcels directly delivered to your work address rather than adding in PW as the middleman?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Signed up without any issues.
    The calander looks a great feature
    Ive never had an issue with dpd.

I had delivery of a new camera lens last week and was en route home when I got the text saying when it would be delivered.
    I got a call from the driver to say I wasn't at home(obvious from my perspective) I was 10 minutes away so we just agreed to meet at his next drop off around the corner.
    I got my lens he got another package delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

devnull wrote: »
    Why not just get your parcels directly delivered to your work address rather than adding in PW as the middleman?

Presumably to take advantage of the free uk delivery?

Think we're going round in circles now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Can people who have no idea what they are doing stop replying to this? It's very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

zerks wrote: »
    My nearest Parcel Motel is in Wexford Town and I'm in Enniscorthy,I know they now do home delivery for €7.95 but if DPD do it for half that then I'm sold on it.

Anyone ordering stuff from China,delivery via Parcel Motel or Parcel Wizard will halve their delivery time.

Parcel Connect is another option they have a couple of collection points in Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Anybody having trouble registering? Got no email or text message, for the verification steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Didn't realise that Parcel Connect was a thing. A bit more expensive at €4.50 but I bet they have collection point much closer to most people than Parcel Motel. I count 12 closer Parcel Connect stations than my Parcel Motel. :eek:

EDIT: Have they (Parcel Connect) just completely ignored County Kilkenny?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So instead of dropping 30/40 packages in a locker DPD/Parcel Wizard will deliver straight to 30/40 different houses and it's cheaper! Excellent.

I don't expect it costs them less, I expect it was more of a case that parcel motel simply had a monopoly and were price gauging!

Really I don't think the Parcel Motel is worth more then €1, maybe max €2

I know some people use Parcel Motel as they aren't allowed personal deliveries to work, but I expect most people use it to order items that aren't normally delivered to Ireland and that a service that delivers to their door will be much more convenient.

With Parcel Wizrad, Parcel Connect and now even An Post getting into the same game, I don't expect Parcel Motel will be able to continue charging their high price. I expect they will cut their prices in half, locker deliveries €2, home deliveries €4.

To put this in context, Amazon has a similar locker service in the UK and they deliver to lockers for free. Similarly Deutsche Post in Germany, if you are out when they attempt a delivery, they leave the package in the closest locker for 48 hours for free.

Typically delivering to lockers is cheaper then home deliveries, so in most other countries they are free and postal companies are trying to push people to it to reduce their costs.

Parcel Motel was only so expensive here because they had a monopoly and the UK aspect of it. Locker services should actually be extremely cheap or free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

bk wrote: »
    Locker services should actually be extremely cheap or free.

Do you have any information or experience of the actual costs involved in providing a locker service?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Do you have any information or experience of the actual costs involved in providing a locker service?

It isn't cheap, but it is cheaper then manning post offices or sending drivers to 40 different houses versus one locker.

As I said that is why Deutsche Post and many other European postal services offering these services for free, as it allows them to cut down on re-deliveries and even close post offices, while offering a more convenient service to their customers, win-win.

Given that PW are now charging the same for in person deliveries as PM hotel stays and half the price of PM's home deliveries, I see little justification for their pricing.

Either way, with lots of new competitors the market will quickly tell what the real price should be.

Personally I just signed up to PW and unless PM drops their pricing significantly, I won't be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

bk wrote: »
    I don't expect it costs them less, I expect it was more of a case that parcel motel simply had a monopoly and were price gauging!

Really I don't think the Parcel Motel is worth more then €1, maybe max €2

I know some people use Parcel Motel as they aren't allowed personal deliveries to work, but I expect most people use it to order items that aren't normally delivered to Ireland and that a service that delivers to their door will be much more convenient.

With Parcel Wizrad, Parcel Connect and now even An Post getting into the same game, I don't expect Parcel Motel will be able to continue charging their high price. I expect they will cut their prices in half, locker deliveries €2, home deliveries €4.

To put this in context, Amazon has a similar locker service in the UK and they deliver to lockers for free. Similarly Deutsche Post in Germany, if you are out when they attempt a delivery, they leave the package in the closest locker for 48 hours for free.

Typically delivering to lockers is cheaper then home deliveries, so in most other countries they are free and postal companies are trying to push people to it to reduce their costs.

Parcel Motel was only so expensive here because they had a monopoly and the UK aspect of it. Locker services should actually be extremely cheap or free.

Amazon offer free lockers because they get a percentage cut of the sale, Parcel Motel don't. I think the €3.95 is a fair price, €2 would be too low to maintain their current level of service. Lockers would be constantly full and it would take an extra day or two for delivery, thus negating the point of using PM. Just look how busy PM are at Xmas time, I wouldn't fancy that all year round.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Amazon offer free lockers because they get a percentage cut of the sale, Parcel Motel don't. I think the €3.95 is a fair price, €2 would be too low to maintain their current level of service. Lockers would be constantly full and it would take an extra day or two for delivery, thus negating the point of using PM. Just look how busy PM are at Xmas time, I wouldn't fancy that all year round.

Well I honestly don't think PM will have to worry about full lockers in future if they keep prices at €4 with all the new, much better competition from PW, PC and An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Honestly, what do the other services offer better than PM?

For me, nothing. But in December the masses will be using PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

RossieMan wrote:

Lower price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

"Error occurred, please try again."

Anyone else having trouble registering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the only reason PM isn't still €3.50 is their free returns deal with Littlewoods and a couple of other retailers.
    they admitted that themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

RossieMan wrote: »

For me better delivery options, my nearest PM locker is a 20km round trip

RossieMan wrote: »

Cheaper prices.

Delivery to your door.

I think there were two types of people using PM:

1) Those who couldn't get deliveries at work
    2) Those who could get deliveries at home/work, but some UK companies don't deliver to Ireland.

I fall into group 2 and I expect many if not most fall into this group. Overnight these people are obviously going to shift over to the more convenient PW service that will deliver UK packages to their door.

Sure they won't lose all customers, but they will lose many.

Then they will also lose customers to the PC service which has more locations.

And they will lose customers to An Posts new cheaper service.

Finally An Post has a plan to rollout hundreds of thousands of parcel delivery boxes to everyone. That would make the PM service largely irrelevant for the group 1 customers. Basically it will be PM right on your doorstep/in your apartment.

Competition is great, PM will need to shift to this new competition quickly or risk losing significant market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sicky

Niemoj wrote: »
    "Error occurred, please try again."

Anyone else having trouble registering?

Me too. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Sicky wrote: »
    Me too. :confused:

Me three

Advertisement