Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon - one of my favourites

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Faith wrote: »
    Do you hate all egg white or just fried? I can't stand egg whites, but I've been thinking of trying poached eggs recently. I love the yolk so if the white was more palatable when poached, that would be great.
    Mainly fried. It's like eating rubber farts, absolutely gross. It's not so bad when the yolk is soft since that tastes pretty great. Poached eggs I find the white isn't as bad as it's still a bit soft and the yolk runs all over it.
    Kat1170 wrote: »
    Bring water to boil.
    Place eggs in water.
    Remove from heat and cover.
    Wait 6 Mins.
    Perfect poached eggs.
    Leave to 7/8 Mins if you like your egg well done.

Hope this helps.
    Uh does this actually work for you? Every recipe I've ever read says 2-3 mins, not to mention simply cracking eggs into a pan of water results in a soggy half boiled mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Mainly fried. It's like eating rubber farts, absolutely gross. It's not so bad when the yolk is soft since that tastes pretty great. Poached eggs I find the white isn't as bad as it's still a bit soft and the yolk runs all over it.

Gross! (And also hilarious.)

Uh does this actually work for you? Every recipe I've ever read says 2-3 mins, not to mention simply cracking eggs into a pan of water results in a soggy half boiled mess.

Me too. I get egg soup. My mom swears by putting some vinegar in the water and swirling it. My aunt swears by putting a bit of salt in the water. Whatever I try, it's still egg soup. I have a pan that has a plastic insert with indentations which hold the egg just in the water and that's the only way I can poach eggs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, I tried poached eggs today. The yolk was delicious, but the white still make me nauseas :(. It's one of the few things that I really can't stomach! It's a shame because I adore egg yolks, and I always look weird when I leave just egg whites on plates :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss. Not a fan of fried as I find egg white absolute rotten.

I haven't tried it myself, but I heard a tip once that if you immerse the unbroken egg for a few seconds in the boiling water (maybe 15-20) and then crack it in, the egg will keep together better because the outer layer will have solidified a little. I think you wouldn't want the water to be too turbulent though, as it would tear the egg apart, so maybe an approach like Kat1170's would work well with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Malari wrote: »
    Me too. I get egg soup. My mom swears by putting some vinegar in the water and swirling it. My aunt swears by putting a bit of salt in the water. Whatever I try, it's still egg soup. I have a pan that has a plastic insert with indentations which hold the egg just in the water and that's the only way I can poach eggs.

The fresher the egg the better for poaching. One tip from Heston Blumenthal is to break the egg onto a slotted/perforated spoon and let the watery part of the white drain away before placing the egg in the water.

It takes 6 minutes instead of 2/3 because you remove the pot of water from the heat and let the egg cook in just the heat already in the water from bringing it to the boil initially.

Only swirl the water gently, not like a whirlpool :) the vinegar helps the white set but some people don't like the taste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    Well, I tried poached eggs today. The yolk was delicious, but the white still make me nauseas :(. It's one of the few things that I really can't stomach! It's a shame because I adore egg yolks, and I always look weird when I leave just egg whites on plates :o.

I've never been able to eat the white either, and just leave it on the plate or in the shell. My daughters can't eat egg white either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Hmm, for poach eggs I pour boiling water into a bowl, crack two eggs into it and put it into the microwave for two minutes, and let stand for 30 seconds (I think). I'm paranoid, so the egg yolk isn't liquidy or soft, but if you fiddle with the time I'd say it's be an easy way to make poached eggs.

I usually have them once per day or two on brown bread, butter, sea salt and hot chilli powder:P With ketchup for dipping. Nom, Nom.

The idea of the whirlpool is so the egg keeps together in the water, that's the 'proper' way to do them (without a poacher). I find it hard to believe anyone's made decent poached eggs by just lobbing them into the boiled water but I'll try it next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The idea of the whirlpool is so the egg keeps together in the water, that's the 'proper' way to do them (without a poacher). I find it hard to believe anyone's made decent poached eggs by just lobbing them into the boiled water but I'll try it next time...

boil water, add vineager. pinch salt. break egg into a teacup. when the water starts boilingtilt the teacup into boiling water. after a 40 secs let into water and repeat as many eggs as you need. WORKS EVERY TIME!

• Advertisement

ArtyC wrote: »
    boil water, add vineager. pinch salt. break egg into a teacup. when the water starts boiling tilt the teacup into boiling water. after a 40 secs let into water and repeat as many eggs as you need. WORKS EVERY TIME!
    What do you mean here? Sit the teacup into the pan for 40 secs then pour it into the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Moving on from the egg discussion...

I had a bowl of porridge with raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants and a drizzle of honey.
    Also had a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, cup of tea and a satsuma.

What do you mean here? Sit the teacup into the pan for 40 secs then pour it into the water?

No tilt the teacup into the water, letting the water into the cup. The egg will form enough in 40 secs they there's no need to twirl wAter

Just tried it there. I ended up with a third poached third soft boiled third hard boiled egg as I left it in too long, but I can see the method working. One thing I would add is to coat the teacup with olive oil or it just gets stuck to it (could be cos it went a bit hardboiled around the side).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Blueberry Pancakes, Sunday morning bliss :-)

F46E674B39054111BF0D29615EB57AAC-0000353053-0003179480-00800L-564E1BB6DE234C0F85B23D0BF35BD0AA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

5unflower wrote: »
    Blueberry Pancakes, Sunday morning bliss :-)

I had blueberry pancakes too, they were delish! Yours look much prettier than mine though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

And staying with the blueberry theme, a nice bowl of porridge this morning :-)

B6777D955AC14548829520E617A1EFAA-0000353053-0003184613-00640L-3D06454333C440CBB847D72AD5FE4DBA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Porridge with raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries, and dried cherries. The only way to start a working day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Local homemade brown bread, 1 boiled egg, 2 wheatabix, some blueberries & freshly squeezed orange :)

Two boiled eggs- cheap cheerful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Scrambled eggs and bacon medallions - pretty boring but it hit the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

This.

bacon-eggs-cup.jpg

Not my picture but they turned out very well !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

I had 2 mini kinder sweets and lemsip and berocca! mmm yum breakfast!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Kelly's lamb and redcurrant jelly sausages, Gordon Ramsay-style scrambled eggs, freshly-baked bread rolls in miniature loaf form, orange juice, strong tay. Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 bobbygyrl

Tea and burnt toast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Peanut MnMs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Two Granby sausages on Brennan's Batch bread, cup of tea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Rashers, grilled tomatoes, toast and a big mug of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Oat pancakes, marmalade, black pudding. Winner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Croissants and coffee. Very continental!

Advertisement