Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What did you have for breakfast thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Same thing I have almost every morning.
    Porridge!:D:D
    Flahavan's Organic Jumbo Oats.
    Didn't bother taking a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've never been a fan of breakfast, could never stomach it first thing in the morning but some days I have toast and tea.

This morning, though, I had a bowl of Curiously Cinnamon (I love cinnamon flavoured things and I actually rarely buy cereal-these were on offer) and a cup of tea, a satsuma and an apple yogurt.

Tomorrow I think I'll do sausages, rashers and buttered bread for a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I normally have a bowl made up of 2 or 3 prunes ( from a tin in natural juice - keep me regular), glenisk low fat natural yoghurt, a shake of oats and a shake of toasted (have to be toasted) flaked almonds, the last few days I've added a few frozen raspberries - gorgeous, healthy and not too fattening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Same thing I have almost every morning.
    Porridge!:D:D
    Flahavan's Organic Jumbo Oats.
    Didn't bother taking a pic.

Have porridge every morning keeps me ping for ages, I add banana apple pine nuts bran and some times blueberries and strawberries mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Baked eggs in ham baskets, with mushrooms, creme fraiche and chives. Very tasty, will be making again.

Was looking for something different for breakfast this morning when I came across this. It was delicious! Will definitely make it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

A couple of bags of Bacon Fries and a half a bag of Mini Eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Big bowl of porridge made with water and two scoops of unflavoured whey protein. Mmmm tasteless !!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Have porridge every morning keeps me ping for ages, I add banana apple pine nuts bran and some times blueberries and strawberries mmmmmm

I've become very frugal with my porridge.
    3:1 water to milk.
    I don't be trucking with fruit or seeds in mine - I don't even like sugar or honey in my porridge anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've been meaning to make Rachel Khoo's Croque Madame Muffins for ages; sorry photo doesn't do justice but they turned out really really yum. It's a keeper.

cc82fdde741066bad443d06eba14c229.jpg

*credit eatlittlebird.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

2 rashers grilled
    2 sausages grilled
    2 poached eggs
    Coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I love breakfast. I like having the time to sit down and read for a bit while I'm eating in the morning :)

I have the same thing most school days - Muesli from Aldi usually and a cup of tea.

At weekends I have a small bowl of porridge (only because my boyfriend makes a pot at the weekend and I couldn't be bothered otherwise!)

I always last for 4-4.5 hours without getting hungry so I never miss breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Two slices of toasted brown bread * with real butter and a banana mashed on top with a mug or two of strong tea no sugar.

or

Porridge made with water, a dash of milk, a sprinkle of sugar and a knob of real butter melted on top.

*Lynches Multi-grain Barrel from Aldi is my preferred choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ciabatta bread with olive oil, toasted on a griddle pan. Grilled tomatoes. Spread of pesto on the bread then mash on the cooked tomato. Sprinkle of salt on top. My weekend breakfast treat. Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This morning I was treated to a slap-up Russian brekky of smoked salmon, ox tongue & scrambled eggs with nutty bread & strong black tea. Finished off with a baked cheese cake. All lovingly prepared by my great friends Alexander & Daria. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

A cup of tea that's what I have every day.... Yeah yeah I know the most important meal of the ... ..... I just can't eat in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

A small amount of organic yoghurt, cereal flakes, a chopped banana and some blueberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Vanilla yoghurt + jumbo porridge oats, All-Bran, raisins, sunflower seeds and hazelnuts. Followed by a bucket of Barry's Tea, whole milk, no sugar. Mmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

gjc wrote: »
    A cup of tea that's what I have every day.... Yeah yeah I know the most important meal of the ... ..... I just can't eat in the morning

I don't subscribe to the "You must eat breakfast" dictum, I think people differ greatly on this. Some people love their brekkie, others can't stomach food in the morning. Neither is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Latkes, from my new Smitten Kitchen cookbook. They were AMAZING. We ate them with Clonakilty pudding and a fried egg.

latkesfeb2013_zpsb7b81a3c.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

241420.png

Rocket leaves, crumbled black pudding, diced rashers and fried baby potatoes topped with two poached eggs and some fried tomato.

The yolk of the egg and bacon fat is the salad dressing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh my god, Dr. B., I WANT that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Been ages since I had a fry so I had:
    -2 Granby Sausages
    -2 rashers of Galtee Smoked Bacon
    -Some white pudding
    -Fried egg
    -Tomato, grilled
    -Beans

Orange juice, batch bread and tea.
    It was lovely, but I've got raging heartburn now :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 ScriptKittie

Dr Bollocko that looks amazing!

This morning I had my first fry of the year. Oh, how I missed them!

Went to my butcher in Terenure yesterday and bought some sausages, rashers, white pudding. Had them with a poached egg and some brown bread from Superquinn. Washed down with strong tea.

Nyom

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

BDys18PCIAAgEFm.jpg

Brioche French toast with crispy bacon and maple syrup from Bibi's cafe.
    Well it was more brunch than breakfast, and more importantly it was amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Latkes, from my new Smitten Kitchen cookbook. They were AMAZING. We ate them with Clonakilty pudding and a fried egg.

Where did you get it?! :eek: I've had it on pre-order with Amazon since forever!

On topic, I rarely make an effort with breakfast, usually having cereal. Today I shook things up a bit with a toasted bagel and peanut butter. :o Peanut butter is on hand as I want to make these. I <3 Smitten Kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Where did you get it?! :eek: I've had it on pre-order with Amazon since forever!

On topic, I rarely make an effort with breakfast, usually having cereal. Today I shook things up a bit with a toasted bagel and peanut butter. :o Peanut butter is on hand as I want to make these. I <3 Smitten Kitchen!

You can order it from the American version of Amazon - it's been on sale in the US for ages! I highly recommend it, it's a gorgeous book full of lovely recipes that aren't fussy or fiddley or complicated to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Being student scum I generally have the leisure of taking as long as I want to cook breakfast (at 1pm). Still though depending on my hangover status or general cant-be-arsedness it can range from a full grill/fry to a coffee and a few sweet waffles.

Been getting back into eggs recently. Scrambled with chopped up bits of ham & tomato thrown in at the end, a load of black pepper and sometimes some rocket is ace. Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss. Not a fan of fried as I find egg white absolute rotten.

Don't have cereal that often since Jordans Country Crisp is the only nice one I've found and it's fairly expensive, especially since you only get like 3 decent bowls and the rest of the bag is dust.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss. Not a fan of fried as I find egg white absolute rotten.

Do you hate all egg white or just fried? I can't stand egg whites, but I've been thinking of trying poached eggs recently. I love the yolk so if the white was more palatable when poached, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Poached eggs are great too but I don't have a poacher, the whirlpool method doesn't work on an induction hob and the clingfilm one seems hit and miss.

Bring water to boil.
    Place eggs in water.
    Remove from heat and cover.
    Wait 6 Mins.
    Perfect poached eggs.
    Leave to 7/8 Mins if you like your egg well done.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

For the short of time mornings I recommend an avocado, sliced open, stone removed, and a dribble of balsamic vinegar drizzled into the gap left by the stone in each half. Eat with a spoon. 10 seconds preparation... 5 minutes eating.... job done.

Advertisement