Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

jor el wrote: »
    If there is no invoice with the delivery, they could value it themselves, or ask you to show your receipt.

OK - so Revenue are looking for a receipt for the 57 USD which is value of packet they have confiscated .

However the Paypal receipt is for a total of 350 USD as we purchased multiple items , but Revenue only held onto one item.

If we produce receipt for the 300 USD , will revenue now go looking for infromation on the other items received ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If we produce receipt for the 300 USD , will revenue now go looking for infromation on the other items received ?

Possibly. You're only alternative would be to ignore then and they will not release the confiscated item. Ignoring customs officials is not usually a very good idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭quinnd6

You are wrong. You don't get ripped off or screwed, you imported goods and you pay the tax. Simple as that.

Ok.
    When did they bring in this rule?
    Is it relatively new or has it been around a good while?

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Ok.
    When did they bring in this rule?
    Is it relatively new or has it been around a good while?

Since we joined the EEC in 1973.

A quick google of www.revenue.ie tells me this :

VAT on imports for intra-EU trade was abolished with effect from 1/1/93, However, Import VAT still exists for goods imported from outside the EU.

and ...............

Where goods are being imported from outside the EU by VAT registered traders VAT and Duty at the appropriate rates will be charged at the point of entry

But I am not a VAT registered trader /?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm afraid to buy games or anything outside Europe in future now incase I get stung again.
    If you buy a game online from an irish retailer like www.gamesnash.ie then you are being "stung" for VAT too, only the postman does not collect it. So if you buy a game from play.com for €25 and gamesnash charge €30 then really gamesnash are making less profit as the 21% of VAT on the play.com game will bring it to €30.25 -also you do not have to pay the handling fees.

I think there is some way you can avoid the handling fee by informing them about the "import" in advance.

I find you are more likely to be charged when ordering from big boys like play.com, I imagine the stuff comes in consignments and an post can have a dedicated team picking out play.com items as they are so similar it would be easier to process them.

I bought games from play.com a few times before and never got stopped by customs. They've usually got great deals on games so that's a real shame.

So then if a game is reduced to 25 euros on play.com you could end up paying 35 euros or more thanks to handling and VAT.

Though I guess if you buy from one of the sellers selling the item who is registered with play.com and is based in the UK you could avoid the problem assuming they're selling at a decent price.
    Do play.com mark their items as gifts though?
    Cos in that case would you be ok buying an item as long as it wasn't over 45 Euros?

But I am not a VAT registered trader /?

Then the bits on VAT registered traders don't apply to you. Anything and everything you import from outside of the EU is subject to duty (if valued over €150) and VAT (if valued over €22). There's no way around that.

I bought games from play.com a few times before and never got stopped by customs. They've usually got great deals on games so that's a real shame.

They can't assess every piece of mail, so a lot of stuff gets through. They just do what they can with the limited number of people looking at them.
    Though I guess if you buy from one of the sellers selling the item who is registered with play.com and is based in the UK you could avoid the problem assuming they're selling at a decent price.

Yes, if the seller posts from within the EU, then VAT and duty have already been paid.
    Do play.com mark their items as gifts though?

Doesn't matter if they do, the customs people are not stupid enough to believe that Play.com are sending you gifts. Gift marking on packages is a waste of time, and only something people do to make it look like they can do something. There will be an invoice in the package showing that you paid money for it, therefore it's not a gift.
    Cos in that case would you be ok buying an item as long as it wasn't over 45 Euros?

If it's obvious that it's a retail purchase, then the gift declaration is void.

Great thanks for answering all the questions.
    It is good to know this.

• Advertisement

Great thanks for answering all the questions.
    It is good to know this.

And from Us too- Jor_el has been really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

rubadub wrote: »
    If you buy a game online from an irish retailer like www.gamesnash.ie then you are being "stung" for VAT too, only the postman does not collect it. So if you buy a game from play.com for €25 and gamesnash charge €30 then really gamesnash are making less profit as the 21% of VAT on the play.com game will bring it to €30.25 -also you do not have to pay the handling fees.

I think there is some way you can avoid the handling fee by informing them about the "import" in advance.

I find you are more likely to be charged when ordering from big boys like play.com, I imagine the stuff comes in consignments and an post can have a dedicated team picking out play.com items as they are so similar it would be easier to process them.

Play.com are a European retailer though?

el dude wrote: »
    Play.com are a European retailer though?

Based in Jersey, which is not in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

Ok, here's a question.

I am getting Drum parts --supposedly-- through shipping, frm Boston. Total is $400 total incl. shipping.

Now, I am buying from a lad, think adverts.ie style, and I am wondering what costs, if any, are included in his postage (he said it'll cost him, so me, $80 postage).

If i get it shipped to my home address, will it have to be collected in Dublin, or what happens? Do you just get billed for duty/tax?

Also, if he marks it as a present, my 'dear old uncle', will that be sussed as it's just a lad, not a corporation, and also will i have to pay on the $80 postage anyway? I know... the gift thing again.

Sorry hope this is clear-- i saw people asking about gifts a few posts ago.

The only way i can afford the stuff is gifting them, as it were. they are more expensive that at home with 25% + on top. Hard to get, mind.

The box is small, and weights about 2 kg. reckon it'd get thru?

Read the first post, all the answers are there. I've said it a dozen times, 5 posts up most recently, gift means nothing.

Ok

I just wondered if...... na i can see your annoyed by all this.

Thanks anyway, i'll figure something out.

There's nothing to figure out. If you're importing this from America, then you cannot avoid duty & VAT. It might not get charged, but there's nothing you can do to bring that about. Anything you try would be tax evasion, which is a criminal offence.

Fair enough man. I suppose it's a game of chance all that stuff. I just ordered 500 dollars of stuff from Vietnam-- suits and clothes-- **** i never even realised until now :eek:

Oh well, just another ''how did you not realise that!?'' moment in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bostonmary

I shall try to explain this as SIMPLE as poss.

I have Household goods in storage in the usa some new some 2nd hand but given free. I am Irish citizen with no former usa residency.

I want to bring some stuff home in airline baggage. I KNOW I HAVE TO PAY.

What I am TRYING to find ALL DAY is the various rates of duty on diff things. I belive WOOD BASED products and books carry NO DUTY JUST THE 21PC VAT.

What i wish to bring is the following...............bed linen , duty rate??
    kitchen ware ....duty rate?????
    electrical.......dvd players dvds kitchen electricals i.e food mixer etc etc .......duty to be paid.

I am not bringing furniture......will ship later in a container.......if could work out what the DUTY IS.

many many many many many thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I heard somewhere before that the limit applies to individual items and not the whole package. E.g. If I buy 10 products with a total cost of $150 at the one time and shipped in the one box then I wouldn't be liable to pay any vat or import duty because each individual item has a value of $15 which is less than €22. Is this correct or is all a load of crap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

I heard somewhere before that the limit applies to individual items and not the whole package. E.g. If I buy 10 products with a total cost of $150 at the one time and shipped in the one box then I wouldn't be liable to pay any vat or import duty because each individual item has a value of $15 which is less than €22. Is this correct or is all a load of crap?

Hello Almighty Cushion, the rules apply to the total value of the shipment. You probably will not have to pay the duty since the value will be less than € 150. However, you may be liable for the 21% VAT.

Regards,
    Rudolf289

E.g. If I buy 10 products with a total cost of $150 at the one time and shipped in the one box then I wouldn't be liable to pay any vat or import duty because each individual item has a value of $15 which is less than €22. Is this correct or is all a load of crap?
    -I think the very opposite might be true, if you receive several items in separate packages from the same place I think you are supposed to be liable to them valued as a single purchase. I have never heard of this being done to a normal household, not sure if it happens to businesses.

I remember there was a play.com scam going a few years back and I got about 20-30dvds on a single day and was worried about it.

I think it might be viewed as a "consignment".

I can't see it on revenue.ie but I did find this
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html
    Where the customs duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of excise duty which will always be collected if the goods are liable to excise duty.
    So if the limit is €6 and you are buying a item with 21% VAT then it could be €28.57 in value before you are liable.

Maybe the lower rate is for alcohol or perfume or something.

Anyone know how long it takes Customs to clear a package - They have one belonging to us since the 11th August .

And now another small one value 57usd gas been sent to Customs from Portlaise Mailing Centre .

Really waiting on these packages - is there a phone number to contact Customs etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Anyone know how long it takes Customs to clear a package - They have one belonging to us since the 11th August .

i think the max they are allowed hold is 60days..

best thing you can do is contact the carrier (i assume its an post is its in portlaois) and check with them if customs are looking for any information from yourself to clear the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

I order 2x memory stick value was 41.78 Ł and 1.95 Ł postage from mymemory. Today when i collected postage have to pay 17.15 which incl post office clearance and VAT . I thought that i have to pay only if value exceed 150€.

Ok the website address is Jersey,Channel Island -so its within EU.

Read the 1st post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

devil-80 wrote: »
    I order 2x memory stick value was 41.78 Ł and 1.95 Ł postage from mymemory. Today when i collected postage have to pay 17.15 which incl post office clearance and VAT . I thought that i have to pay only if value exceed 150€.

Ok the website address is Jersey,Channel Island -so its within EU.

Hello Devil-80,

as advised by the moderator, read the original post. There is no duty charge on memory sticks, so that is not an issue. However, for values over € 22.00 you are liable to 21% VAT over purchase price plus postage.

Jersey, Channel Island is NOT in the EU ....... So, it needs to be cleared, hence the VAT and the An Post charge

Hello Jor-El,

this actually is a great thread and your original post is absolutely spot on !

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Thanks for explanation. I wont buy there anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Force Kin

Hey Chaps,
    I was wondering if anyone here can help me out. My father lives in America and bought a macbook about 2 months ago. He couldn't get used to the changeover from a pc and asked if i wanted it. Now, I know it cost him around $1,700 but he's giving it to me for free. So technically since i haven't actually purchased anything do I still have to pay charges on a secondhand item handed down from my father? Seems ridiculous if i do.

• Advertisement

do I still have to pay charges on a secondhand item handed down from my father? Seems ridiculous if i do.

First post
    RULES OF THREAD
    When you import anything from outside the EU, it is subject to VAT and possibly duty, if it exceeds the limits. Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22 for purchases and €45 for a gift. If you buy it, it is NOT a gift. A gift is something someone sends you as a present. If you buy it as a present for someone else, that is not a gift

Think about it for a minute, it would be far more ridiculous if you could avoid duty by claiming everything you got was secondhand and you did not pay for it.

Advertisement