Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Germany: every petrol station must offer electric charging

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ted1 wrote: »
    I’ve a petrol car. Fully paid for. , don’t do much mileage. It’s a 2005. Forcing me to buy an EV would send 30,000 euro out if the country. That’s about 30+ years of oil.

At the moment it makes no sense to force people to change

Don't think anything would force you. Especially if you've low mileage. Price at the pumps wouldn't affect you much. When you want the change up your car though, you might think EV, you might be planning to spend 5-10-20-30k regardless of what powers the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like we need to give more people an incentive to buy new EVs so there's a better second hand market... let's say... €10k off

No, we need to get people out of private motor vehicles. EV’s do nothing to get rid of traffic. In fact as once you have one they are so cheap to run they might encourage people to drive more.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No, we need to get people out of private motor vehicles. EV’s do nothing to get rid of traffic. In fact as once you have one they are so cheap to run they might encourage people to drive more.

Now you're just repeating yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I agree with the point about elasticity of demand, but the point about traffic is rather city centric. I haven't seen a traffic jam since I moved out of Dublin.

I'm not campaigning for the removal of EV incentives for Dubs though, because as a means of substituting one new car purchase for another, they will still lead to some air quality improvements, although changing fuel taxes to incentize a switch back from diesel to petrol for all classes of vehicle might also be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lumen wrote: »
    I haven't seen a traffic jam since I moved out of Dublin.

And perhaps the old traffic jams / brutal commute into the city centre of Dublin are now a thing of the past.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

unkel wrote: »
    And perhaps the old traffic jams / brutal commute into the city centre of Dublin are now a thing of the past.

Dublin traffic is back and it’s going to get a lot worse from tomorrow.
    Increase in businesses opening. Reduced public transport capacity. Less motor vehicle lanes in the city with wider paths and cycle tracks.

It will be a nightmare. So much so that my city centre employer has told us not to come into the office and continue working from home. Sites will be visited directly from our homes and return back to our homes afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Gumbo wrote: »
    So much so that my city centre employer has told us not to come into the office and continue working from home. Sites will be visited directly from our homes and return back to our homes afterwards.

That's my point. If only 20% of the people who used to commute into Dublin city centre on any given day now work from home, the traffic congestion is resolved. Time will tell. I guess it's a bit of wishful thinking from my part :)

Advertisement