Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone use a camera for your own protection?

• 03-06-2020 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

I've just ordered the following action camera from Amazon. I couldn't justify the cost of a GoPro. It cost me €40 for the camera, SD card and postage.

Dragon Touch 4k action camera.
    20 MP
    Anti shake. Includes handlebar and helmet mounting clips.

It does not record sound. I hope the 20 MP is sufficient clarity to record reg plates etc. Has anyone ever successfully used footage from bike cameras to report rogue road users?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a thread for discussing close passes @ Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)
    I've reported a number of drivers in both Lucan and Leixlip stations for various incidents since getting my cameras around Christmas.
    The only one I'v had "closure" to is this one where a pair of nutjobs figured it would be a bit of craic to open the car door at me (as they initially passed and when they passed the second time after the lights): https://streamable.com/nnye4a

I'd still recommend reporting any incidents that you are concerned about although it can take about half an hour whilst the garda writes up the statement (it's so old school!). Your statement will include such bollox such as how the overtake made you scared, blah blah.
    You'll probably hear nothing back without chasing the garda so keep a note of what you reported, who you reported it to and when you reported it.
    The law is quite clear about dangerous and inconsiderate overtaking. However, apparently footage & statements are reviewed by the super who will decide if it's worthwhile taking it further (you're the alleged victim so you've no say in the matter).

In terms of getting the footage to AGS, some will ask for it on a DVD or USB drive. I've had gardai (who generally wouldn't be technical) asking me to email a movie file which might be 1000 times the maximum size allowed by their email systems.
    My succesful outcome was backed up by the linked footage above on Streamable.com. This doesn't seem to alter the quality of the video whereas the likes of YouTube compressed the video which sacrifices the quality of the picture.

Just in terms of the sound -it may be a good thing that yours doesn't record sound.
    I'm too quick at losing the head and will use some profanities against the offending driver.
    It could be used as an excuse against me to drop the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

The only one I'v had "closure" to is this one where a pair of nutjobs figured it would be a bit of craic to open the car door at me

What was the outcome?

The garda involved was sound and without getting into details (as I don't want to possibly prejudice any case), he reckoned he could get the driver on a more serious charge which would have much more long term implications for them.
    I was happy with that.

Oh what happened with that one Seth ? I must have missed if you already mentioned it.

• Advertisement

Enfilade wrote: »
    Oh what happened with that one Seth ? I must have missed if you already mentioned it.
    erm, I just said what happened...
    The garda involved was sound and without getting into details (as I don't want to possibly prejudice any case), he reckoned he could get the driver on a more serious charge which would have much more long term implications for them.
    I was happy with that.
    :)

:D

This what happens when you start to read something and then get up to chase a 2 year old around and come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

It does not record sound. I hope the 20 MP is sufficient clarity to record reg plates etc.

Just to note, 20 Megapixel is only helpful if you have a lens which can resolve detail with the same level of accuracy. There tends to be quite a lot of variation camera to camera at that price point, but you really can't go too far wrong for that money.

At lower light levels, you're actually better off with fewer, larger pixels as they can gather more light in the same exposure time.

The Dragon Touch, at €40 should be fine for daytime use, but don't necessarily count on it for reg plates outside of ideal conditions.

My brother uses one cycling and it gets decent video.

Finally, it's more of good thing to have on your side should something go wrong, it's not going to provide any protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've just ordered the following action camera from Amazon. I couldn't justify the cost of a GoPro. It cost me €40 for the camera, SD card and postage.

Dragon Touch 4k action camera.
    20 MP
    Anti shake. Includes handlebar and helmet mounting clips.

It does not record sound. I hope the 20 MP is sufficient clarity to record reg plates etc. Has anyone ever successfully used footage from bike cameras to report rogue road users?

Looks like a similar one to the camera I bought from CrossAction and it definitely isnt anti-shake, shocking build quality and battery life is non existent. Use a Drift Ghost X now and its much better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mc Love wrote: »
    Looks like a similar one to the camera I bought from CrossAction and it definitely isnt anti-shake, shocking build quality and battery life is non existent. Use a Drift Ghost X now and its much better.

I have a Drift Sleath II which is 720p but to me looks as clear as other cameras claiming 1080p. How would you rate the Ghost? Whats the battery life like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

It came in the post today.
    Happy cycling, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

It came in the post today.
    Happy cycling, everyone.

Nice one. I have a Go Pro but don't have anything to attach it to the bike. Did yours come with attachments?

Nice one. I have a Go Pro but don't have anything to attach it to the bike. Did yours come with attachments?

It does. A steal for €40.
    Footage quality is excellent, I was expecting it to be atrocious at that price.

Can anyone comment on my positioning? Is it poor? I felt that it was a very close pass, car was a lot closer than it appears to be in the video.

I think your position in fine but don't be afraid to move further right. The oncoming cyclist is probably too far to the left for my liking though.
    As for the pass, as passes go, its close but because you'll find them a lot closer, I'd unfortunately let it go as otherwise you'd be forever in a garda station writing up those stupid statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Does it have everything you need straight out of the box ? How long can it record for ?

Where did you mount your camera and would they be heavy on your head attached to a helmet?

Might get one, €40 is really good value. Great picture too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have a fly6 that I use on my commute and would like something to go on the front. I lost my virb and felt safer with both sides covered

I'd drop the quality to be honest, youtube is serving that up to me in 4k and switching it 1080p there's no noticeable difference other than space used on your memory card.

Does it do 1080 60fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Is there a decent cheap one that records back and front off a helmet ?
    I'm back cycling full time now after taking a break for a while and is shocking how bad cage drivers are.
    Nearly got creamed at the roundabout at buglers rathfarnham last week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Is there a decent cheap one that records back and front off a helmet ?
    I'm back cycling full time now after taking a break for a while and is shocking how bad cage drivers are.
    Nearly got creamed at the roundabout at buglers rathfarnham last week.

I use that roundabout most mornings. Unless you're getting off at the first exit I reckon it is really important to take the lane and ignore the cycle lane which in my opinion makes that roundabout more dangerous to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

Check you SD card regularly. I learnt the hard way after an incident only to find out it wasnt recorded as the SD card had died. It was a brand name card, but wasn't up to the task to handle high levels of writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Let's not be confusing Rathfarnham with Ballyboden....please :pac:

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Does it have everything you need straight out of the box ? How long can it record for ?

Where did you mount your camera and would they be heavy on your head attached to a helmet?

Might get one, €40 is really good value. Great picture too.

It does. All accessories included.
    I mounted mine beside my light.

It slots into this water proof box making it safe against the rain as well. I should add that I had a discount promotion so you might pay a bit more.

It slots into this water proof box making it safe against the rain as well. I should add that I had a discount promotion so you might pay a bit more.

Here it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

As for the pass, as passes go, its close but because you'll find them a lot closer, I'd unfortunately let it go as otherwise you'd be forever in a garda station writing up those stupid statements.

My guess as to why the gardai require a written statement made in person at a station is that it acts as a filter for what is a genuine legitimate grievance as opposed to a hyped up ranting complaint the likes of what they would receive if there were some on-line or app based means of making complaints.

If someone has to take a few hours out of their day to go to a Garda station and sit down to give a statement, it tends to focus the mind as to whether it is a legitimate problem that needs dealing with or it being just a need for them to vent frustration and anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have a Drift Sleath II which is 720p but to me looks as clear as other cameras claiming 1080p. How would you rate the Ghost? Whats the battery life like?

Battery life is very good to be honest. Do a 50-ish min cycle every day and only have to charge it maybe once a week.

Whats the best (or the least best to save space on the card) quality to film in if you're cycling?

My guess as to why the gardai require a written statement made in person at a station is that it acts as a filter for what is a genuine legitimate grievance as opposed to a hyped up ranting complaint the likes of what they would receive if there were some on-line or app based means of making complaints.

If someone has to take a few hours out of their day to go to a Garda station and sit down to give a statement, it tends to focus the mind as to whether it is a legitimate problem that needs dealing with or it being just a need for them to vent frustration and anger.
    That crystal clear video footage isn't sufficient for a conviction is the main reason. Video footage is a support to a case but the case can't be based on it. Our law is such that the case is based on a witness statement (and the video then supports the statement).
    However, the statement and video are then filtered for further action on the super (IIRC) who will decide if it's worth pursuing (even if the video shows a clear breach of the law).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Has anyone ever successfully used footage from bike cameras to report rogue road users?

Yes, very handy for rogue Dublin Bus drivers as well. I've had a few altercations and Dublin Bus took them all seriously.

I ended up with a few nice 64GB flash drives as well for free as I had requested they send me footage of the incident from the Dublin Bus cameras. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

And rightly so. If Gardai had to persue cases based on go pro footage sent in by every outraged cyclist then they and the courts would be swamped and get nothing else done.

It is right that complaints actioned are just those that are geniunely necessary and legitimate.

Like people ring in ranting and complaining about this that and the other and are then asked "well would you be prepared to come into the station and give a statement and then spend a day in court to give evidence ?" ....That usually focuses the mind and calms most of them down and it ends there because they realise that what they are complaining about isn't worth half the effort of what is required for the courts to deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yes, very handy for rogue Dublin Bus drivers as well. I've had a few altercations and Dublin Bus took them all seriously.

I ended up with a few nice 64GB flash drives as well for free as I had requested they send me footage of the incident from the Dublin Bus cameras. :cool:

What's the best way to contact Dublin Bus about this?

I sent a fairly detailed complaint to their compaints email address after a bus swerved its rear end into me and heard zero back.

Cheers for the camera recommendation OP! I've been looking for something similar for a while.

Advertisement