Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I have a strong LED red light for the back and a strong LED white light for the front.

My cycling addiction has kicked in :)
    I will probably leisure cycle a lot now. Winter cycling concerns me though. If I take the lane as a number of people have advised me I might get rammed by a car in the dark. I might be held partially to blame if I've no hi Vis (I don't believe they're beneficial of necessary but that's another story).

Does anyone else wear them in the dark?

Am I safer to stick rigidly left in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hi All,

New to cycling, looking for recommendations. I've taking up running for weight loss in the past couple of months and have saw good progress however, I am looking to change it up.

what is the intended use of the bike (commuting/leisure/just going for a spin with the kids, etc.)
    Leisure/Fitness

- what is your budget
    1K including necessary accessories

- are you using the bike to work scheme (this rules out secondhand bikes, and depending on your employer, potentially what bike shops you can use)
    Yes

- aer you willing to consider going secondhand
    N/A

- will you be using the bike in wet weather

- how tall you are
    5' 9"

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike
    Man's bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I have a strong LED red light for the back and a strong LED white light for the front.

My cycling addiction has kicked in :)
    I will probably leisure cycle a lot now. Winter cycling concerns me though. If I take the lane as a number of people have advised me I might get rammed by a car in the dark. I might be held partially to blame if I've no hi Vis (I don't believe they're beneficial of necessary but that's another story).

Does anyone else wear them in the dark?

Am I safer to stick rigidly left in the dark?

What you might find handy for the winter months is a combo rain jacket with reflective material which gives you the hi-viz aspect without the garish daytime RSA wifebeater look. A few brands have these and you'll find some on the very affordable end of the market from the likes of Altura, Galibier, and Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thefa

Hi, have a beginners question about shifting gears on a bike. Bought the bike new last week and it has a Shimano 3x7 drivetrain. I’ve read up on what gears to use in different situations but notice when changing up the front derailleur from 1 to 2, I have to hold the lever in for a second or else it will refuse to change, whereas going 2 to 1, 2 to 3 or 3 to 2 is instantaneous with a click.

It’s quite manageable but for the sake of the bike, could there potentially an issue with the system or is my technique wrong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean shifting from the middle ring up to the big ring? that's the movement where the gear cable is under most tension so is going to need the most noticeable push. changing down the rings involves a relaxation in tension in the cable so is usually instant.

did you get a free first service with the bike? if so, something to ask them about when you bring it back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hi All,

New to cycling, looking for recommendations. I've taking up running for weight loss in the past couple of months and have saw good progress however, I am looking to change it up.
    sounds like a road bike would be best for you. plenty of options at that price point (assuming the shops can get the stock); trek or giant are very common options. where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thefa

you mean shifting from the middle ring up to the big ring? that's the movement where the gear cable is under most tension so is going to need the most noticeable push. changing down the rings involves a relaxation in tension in the cable so is usually instant.

did you get a free first service with the bike? if so, something to ask them about when you bring it back.

Actually going from the small ring to the middle is the problem child but the same logic might apply. Middle to large is very smooth.

Have the service included so will bring it up then.

it may be that the derailleur is not quite centering going from small to middle, so just needs a little more time for the chain to take the hint to move. should be an easy enough tweak for the bike shop to address this if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I kind of think most people looking to spend 1k with the B2W on their first bike would be better off picking up a decent second hand bike for ~€400 to see how they like it. The reason the second hand market is so awash with value is so many people buying 1k bikes they go on to never use and end up selling a year later. When I was starting off I got a lovely Trek 1.2 for about €250 that I still have and am happy to use. B2W can potentially be put to much better use later when you know what you like and what you might want to upgrade.

sounds like a road bike would be best for you. plenty of options at that price point (assuming the shops can get the stock); trek or giant are very common options. where are you based?

I'm based in Dublin 15

The only thing that is putting me off a road bike after doing research is comfort. Ideally I'd like something comfortable for long rides as I feel I'd be more inclined to keep up the cycling into the future on a comfortable bike!

keane2097 wrote: »
    I kind of think most people looking to spend 1k with the B2W on their first bike would be better off picking up a decent second hand bike for ~€400 to see how they like it. The reason the second hand market is so awash with value is so many people buying 1k bikes they go on to never use and end up selling a year later. When I was starting off I got a lovely Trek 1.2 for about €250 that I still have and am happy to use. B2W can potentially be put to much better use later when you know what you like and what you might want to upgrade.

Great idea. Is there anything I should be looking out for on the second hand market? It seems to be an abyss of bikes online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Drop bars should be comfortable enough once you get used to them granted you wear gloves or wrap them in decent bar tape. And really the biggest different in comfort you can make is a good pair of tyres.

The second market especially in dublin is a sellers market atm but if you got something from a reputable with a sora drivetrain for around 400, that would be a good deal

Tony04 wrote: »
    Drop bars should be comfortable enough once you get used to them granted you wear gloves or wrap them in decent bar tape. And really the biggest different in comfort you can make is a good pair of tyres.

The second market especially in dublin is a sellers market atm but if you got something from a reputable with a sora drivetrain for around 400, that would be a good deal

Thanks for that.

Any opinion on hybrid bikes? The more I research them the better they seem suited for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Flat bars put you in a more upright position so less strain on your back /arms etc.
    And hybrids are probably better for commuting as it's easier to transport stuff on them.
    If you dont see yourself racing or doing sportifs a hybrid is probably your best option

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• What is the intended use of the bike: Combination of exercise (nothing manic) and commuting to work (when back to work). I live on northside of Cork City, so no matter what direction I go there will be hills.
    • What is your budget: €1K, all in for bike & kit/etc.
    • Are you using the bike to work scheme: Yes.
    • Are you willing to consider going secondhand: N/A.
    • Will you be using the bike in wet weather: It's Ireland, so probably. But I would usually try to avoid it.
    • How tall you are: 5'9"/5.10"
    • Are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike: Man's please.

Some additional notes:
    • I am in a fairly small house so storage is limited. We do have a back garden, but nowhere (currently) to store bike out there that would be covered. Any ideas on this?
    • I do plan on cycling to work, do people favour just lobbing laptop/etc in backpack or using panniers?
    • I'm in Cork City, and I'm pretty confident that work can deal with any bike shop, so any recommendations on a handy shop would be appreciated. I know that one of the guys who worked here previously got sorted in Cycle Scene at the bottom of Blarney Street, he seemed to get on okay. He moved to Dublin since, so can't check with him for a full recommendation.

Finally, I wouldn't mind getting some sort of adapter yoke to be able to use the bike indoors too as a stationery bike. Any recommendations on this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

keane2097 wrote: »
    this is great advice. im one of those folks:pac:, got my first racing bike but couldn't warm to the riding style. luckily enough ive traded mine into my local bike store for a good deal on a 2021 mountain bike when they arrive next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just to note, that advice re:the secondhand market might be a bit less useful in the current state of affairs where people seem to be selling second hand bikes for new prices. Normally there's great value secondhand.

dulpit wrote: »
    [*]I do plan on cycling to work, do people favour just lobbing laptop/etc in backpack or using panniers?
    depends on whether you've showers in work or not (and many places which do currently won't allow access to them); wearing a backpack can trap significant heat/sweat so if you've no showers available, i think panniers would be a much safer bet.
    a hybrid might be suitable for you, if it's for commuting and light exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

shanec1928 wrote: »
    ive traded mine into my local bike store for a good deal on a 2021 mountain bike when they arrive next month.

Trade it against a 2020 mountain bike when the 2021 models come in. You'll get much better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Hey folks - I'm looking at a Giant Escape 2 City Disc 2020, but I am unsure what the correct size might be for myself (5ft 8" male). On the website, it says S, M, L or XL.

Any advice? Also, please let me know if this bike is trash and if there are better on the market ; )

Thanks in advance

https://buckleycycles.ie/products/giant-escape-2-city-disc-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Effects wrote: »
    Trade it against a 2020 mountain bike when the 2021 models come in. You'll get much better value.
    got a good deal so im happy. also didnt have the 2020 model i wanted in stock.

• Advertisement

medium, if the same sizing chart applies to this model (scroll just over halfway down)

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-3

shanec1928 wrote: »
    got a good deal so im happy. also didnt have the 2020 model i wanted in stock.

I got lucky a few years ago when my bike to work payment got delayed by a couple of weeks.
    When it came through, the bike they had put aside for me had 200 euro knocked off it.

geordi wrote: »
    Hey folks - I'm looking at a Giant Escape 2 City Disc 2020, but I am unsure what the correct size might be for myself (5ft 8" male). On the website, it says S, M, L or XL.

https://buckleycycles.ie/products/giant-escape-2-city-disc-2020

I'm bang on 6 foot and I'm ML on a Giant.
    They should let you try it out for size though. But maybe that's changed given current restrictions.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I too was looking at getting the Giant Escape 2 Disc in Medium.

However, I can't believe how clueless I was thinking it would be easy enough to get a bike. Anything on two wheels is sold out :(

Just to follow up on this, I ended up getting a bike in the end and the sense of freedom is amazing!

Ended up riding around for 2 hours with no real route :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm planning on heading to local bike shop in next few days to price things up - just curious if there are specific brands I should be looking at or actively avoiding? Am looking for a decent hybrid, would like it to be fairly lightweight but don't need to be winning races/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

dulpit wrote: »
    I'm planning on heading to local bike shop in next few days to price things up - just curious if there are specific brands I should be looking at or actively avoiding? Am looking for a decent hybrid, would like it to be fairly lightweight but don't need to be winning races/etc.

Depends how much you have to spend. Giant, Trek, and cube have decent hybrids.
    The trek ds2 is around 550 and comes with hydraulic disk breaks. Very comfortable bike. Hydraulic disk breaks for me are a must in city and urban cycling or any cycling for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting into cycling for fitness reasons. I was a runner for years but the knees have had enough. I'm a complete novice so please excuse my ignorance;
    Im around 200lbs and 6ft 1" tall. Any reccomendations on brand and model of bike that would suit me? Also what size should a person of my size be looking for?
    Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any advice that you can give.
    What is the intended use of the bike - Exercise mostly, possibly join a cycling club down the line if I enjoy it.
    What is your budget - Would prefer to keep under 700 that all in for helmet etc
    Are you using the bike to work scheme - no
    Are you willing to consider going secondhand - Maybe but haven't a clue what I'm looking at
    Will you be using the bike in wet weather - yes
    How tall you are - 6'1
    Are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Mens

check out the list of questions asked in the first post in this thread; whether you can avail of the bike to work scheme will have a big impact on the 'new or secondhand' decision.

if you're getting into it purely for fitness, and will be doing leisure spins, a road bike is usually the sensible choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys. As I said previously I'm a complete beginner to cycling. Getting into it for fitness with a view to maybe joining a club down the road. I have been looking at bikes and to be honest I haven't a clue. I picked this one: https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8.6-road-bike-528775.html
    Purely based on how it looked in the shop and it was within my budget. Is this bike ok for a beginner? I haven bought it yet by the way. thanks

Advertisement