Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Casual use of Thomastown GAA or football pitches

• 17-05-2020 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I’m new to Thomastown. Might be a silly question but I’m just wondering is it ok for the general public to use the Thomastown GAA Club or the AFC club pitches for casual use. Like kicking a ball around with your kids or a very small group of friends if the pitches are free from matches or training etc.
    I know there are probably restrictions now during the current covid situation, but my question is really just referring to policy under normal circumstances.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

I’d be very surprised if you’re allowed to do that. Are the gates not locked? They are everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Firstly, You’d have to be a member of the club because if using the pitches you’d need to be covered by their insurance.
    TBH, most places do not allow casual kick abouts etc - they want to keep the pitches in good order

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

All pitches are locked up at the moment, would think they take security serious there considering the damage was done to the pitch last year. If you approached one of the officers when all this cleared up who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

In normal times, yes you can practically go to any pitch and casually kick a ball around. Nobody will stop you or say anything to you.

The notion you have to be a member to kick a ball around a wide open pitch is laughable unless its a stadium like nolan park etc.

But currently with lockdown, you're not supposed to and the gates of all the places will be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭earlytobed

Don't know about the GAA but the soccer club is subject to government and FAI restrictions which means there is no football activity until further notice (even a kickabout)

Normally there are plenty social 5 a sides there, no problem to get a game, or hire a pitch if you have enough players.
    There is even walking football for older players.

The Walkway is open to walkway members from today, subject to social distancing etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sweet_trip wrote: »
    The notion you have to be a member to kick a ball around a wide open pitch is laughable unless its a stadium like nolan park etc.

hmm, not really
    The land could still be private property as such you'd be tresspassing.

You wouldn't just go into a neighbours garden and kick about a ball would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Cabaal wrote: »
    hmm, not really
    The land could still be private property as such you'd be tresspassing.

You wouldn't just go into a neighbours garden and kick about a ball would you?

We're talking about pitches though. In pre-covid times you could practically walk into any GAA or Soccer pitch. No hassle unless they are ones locked up like nolan park. Idk about buckley park.

Hell even the ones with a farm gate/low fence in the countryside you can just open the gate and go in. Nobody minds.

The way it should be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Northern lassie

I don't think any club or committee member of Thomastown GAA/United or any GAA or soccer club in the country would have a problem with this. I'm sure they are more than happy to see people having a few pucks or a few shots on goal during non busy times. Parents bringing their kids out with a hurl or soccer ball must make their heart soar ... they're the very grassroots of underage sports in this country. How else do kids get a bit of confidence or improve their abilities? I just wish more parents would do it ....

Of course its like everything its when a large group of people gather and the messing starts .... then restrictions are imposed but what the OP has suggested I really can't see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,213 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I don't think any club or committee member of Thomastown GAA/United or any GAA or soccer club in the country would have a problem with this. I'm sure they are more than happy to see people having a few pucks or a few shots on goal during non busy times. Parents bringing their kids out with a hurl or soccer ball must make their heart soar ... they're the very grassroots of underage sports in this country. How else do kids get a bit of confidence or improve their abilities? I just wish more parents would do it ....

Of course its like everything its when a large group of people gather and the messing starts .... then restrictions are imposed but what the OP has suggested I really can't see a problem.

Expert view ?

All GAA grounds are closed. Full stop.
    All Soccer club grounds are closed . Full stop.

Theres no exceptions. If you and your kids think its ok and go down, then other people and their kids could/would go down.
    They are closed. For everyone..
    I don't understand how some people cant understand why …. :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Northern lassie

greenspurs wrote: »
    Expert view ?

All GAA grounds are closed. Full stop.
    All Soccer club grounds are closed . Full stop.

Theres no exceptions. If you and your kids think its ok and go down, then other people and their kids could/would go down.
    They are closed. For everyone..
    I don't understand how some people cant understand why …. :rolleyes:

If you read the original post, the OP asked if he/she could "in normal circumstances" visit a GAA/soccer pitch and that they understand there are currently restrictions. It was in that context I was replying. I know GAA pitches are closed ... the whole country is closed. I think people understand that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement