Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookies Reopening

• 06-05-2020 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Anyone know when are the bookies scheduled to reopen? What phase do bookies fall under?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Paddy Power shops are opening 29th June, staff are Covid 19 training from 22nd June.
    Not sure how they are going to manage social distancing in that small an area though and assume punters won't be able to stay there for long periods, as if you would want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭jacool

Social distancing will be a disaster.
    For some reason, that is beyond me, 60% of people seem to have to put their bet on right at the last second, and they aren't even waiting for a price. The staff will be safe, punters won't.
    I'd say for football bets, get the coupon, fill it in outside, and then dash in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

jacool wrote: »
    Social distancing will be a disaster.
    For some reason, that is beyond me, 60% of people seem to have to put their bet on right at the last second, and they aren't even waiting for a price. The staff will be safe, punters won't.
    I'd say for football bets, get the coupon, fill it in outside, and then dash in and out.

The coupon doesn't have great prices. They will prob have alot more machines in there shops now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EmmaWard_0253

Just cant wait for reopen and try on negative progression betting system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Chicoso

What's that

• Advertisement

I'm also curious about what that system entails :confused:

And why haven't you tried it before...... Are you a mathematician that's just turned 18? :pac:
    Plus, why do you need to go into an actual betting shop to try your system...

PS good 1st post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I'm also curious about what that system entails :confused:

And why haven't you tried it before...... Are you a mathematician that's just turned 18? :pac:
    Plus, why do you need to go into an actual betting shop to try your system...

PS good 1st post :)
    Emma is a re-reg,
    used to be Martin Gale.

Bar One in Eyre Sq is operating from the door way.

It's just in an awkward place when you're driving , hopefully one or two others start doing similar as I wouldn't mind putting some football bets on next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Chicoso wrote: »
    What's that

chasing your bollox

chasing your bollox

"Negative" should have gave it away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bar One in Eyre Sq is operating from the door way.

Same in Cork City. PP opening from Monday I think.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Same in Cork City. PP opening from Monday I think.

Hope we're allowed in :D

If they're operating from the door it would be easy for them to shave 10% plus from the price that you might see quoted on Oddschecker or the likes.... 7/2 could be 11/4, 10/1 might become 9/1 - 17/2. :( What comeback could you have - none!
    Prices subject to change, system updating blah blah blah

Wouldn't put it past any of them :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PP not operating from the front door. They had a clip on facebook showing what was different inside the shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

I thought Paddy power was open in Tralee today, was a notice on the door which was closed saying something about knocking, nobody outside it, I was only driving past.

I drove past Bar One Racing bookies too and there was about 15 queuing up outside it with the door open. Don’t think they’re letting you watch anything in there anyways

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    PP not operating from the front door. They had a clip on facebook showing what was different inside the shops.

At least it's open and fully open so there's that.

We're not all on facebook so I guess they can't take too hard a line if we haven't adhered to all the new rules or whatever. I guess they'll have posters up inside and on the window outside advising of new procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Wouldn't like to be seen queuing up outside the local betting shop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Wouldn't like to be seen queuing up outside the local betting shop

That’s what I was thinking. Bad enough giving away your money but being in a que to do it is even worse.

All bookies have been ordered to close with immediate effect this morning due to a legal problem about opening!
    Staff behind counter in shops but doors locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

okidoki987 wrote: »
    All bookies have been ordered to close with immediate effect this morning due to a legal problem about opening!
    Staff behind counter in shops but doors locked.

Seemingly Boylesports/Bar One and other Independents are allowed to stay open.

PP/Lads are being told to close until June 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Yeah just went PP it's closed up in wexford. Boyle is open 5 mins away

• Advertisement

Seemingly it's now a legal thing.
    Lads & PP are classified as "hospitality" but Boyles and indo's aren't :confused:.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/paddy-power-and-ladbrokes-shops-ordered-to-shut-by-irish-government/437864

You have to laugh
    You wouldn't have known most of them were open anyway.
    So complaints get 2 of the major firms closed and the rest stay open?
    The closures are reported to have been initiated after a number of complaints were made by the general public on Monday.

Bookies retail

You have to laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Somebody messed up big time here. How do the IBA not know that the opening date is the 29th and if they did why didn't they communicate it to their members? I know people love to hate them and all but it could have major consequences for some of shops.

Will Boyle open tomorrow I have 3 bets to collect

brilou23 wrote: »
    Will Boyle open tomorrow I have 3 bets to collect

That's bad enough, but it's worse - unless you're skint that is - if you fancy 1 or 2 tomorrow, but have no way of getting on :(

Two and a half months without a punt and just when I was getting back into it with having a win/near miss they go and take it away and the buzz/enjoyment that goes with it; just like that, on a whim. It's akin to being a biddy dressed in black back in the day. I'm holding back the tears like Tom Waits when he was talking to Martha up in here....

Can only hope common sense prevails.

Even bets I did today I noticed people picking up dockets and pens and putting them back down. It will be hard to keep stuff clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Bookies might have opened up too early.
    Will be closed again tomorrow I’m hearing.

IBA had a meeting today and if any bookmaker opens before the 29th, they will be breaking the law, so looks like all bookies will or should be closed now for another 13 days.
    Big loss to them with Royal Ascot and a good few PL matches on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Are all bookies definitely closed? I walked by a boylesports lights on tvs on etc doors locked sure what's the ****ing point of that??

Advertisement