Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

smyths toys €10 0ff €50 spend cancelled for 2020

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lucan123

Gru wrote: »
    they say 20% off selected sets with a Lego city and Lego Friends image, those "selected" sets were not 20% off, i believe a duplo set came closest to 20% off but if you can find the 20% off city/friends sets please do link them.

Set 60221 and 60222 are 20% off (both city and in the list when you click the banner on smyths website)
    Set 10886 is 24% off ... So saying "up to" would be incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Lucan123 wrote: »
    Set 60221 and 60222 are 20% off (both city and in the list when you click the banner on smyths website)
    Set 10886 is 24% off ... So saying "up to" would be incorrect

honestly i went through the pricing of the first 30 sets on that link, i just felt it was misleading saying 20%, i've seen better wording out there, but like one poster just showed there are sets at 20% so they get away with it, it still doesn't change the 10 off 50 promotion it was just a side argument we went down.

and like i said before i love my local Smyths and the staff in it have always been great, a few things about the brand bugged me, thats all...

will i be avoiding Smyths because they didn't run a promotion...no, i'll continue to shop around where-ever, i was trying to make the point that i can see why others were annoyed by the lack of promotion...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

OmegaGene wrote: »
    €10 off €50 can result in nearly €100 if you’re coy and do a few checkouts, the vouchers could be obtained by email and everyone has multiple emails and combine that with visa cash back that is on offer with smyths for the last 3 years the saving were not to be sniffed at and not just €10 as you say

There weren't any vouchers that I remember or if there were, they weren't required and were more indicative than "1 voucher = 1 discount"? It was just an instore promo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sales between November and December accounts for around 40% of Smyths sales, given the majority of sales are in store, I can totally understand why they have pulled this offer.

For those saying to run it online, its not feasible and increases the cost base for Smyths. Toys need to be picked, packed and shipped. All comes with an associated cost particularly given the bulky nature of the toys(mostly). I used this offer a lot in the past in conjuction with Visa rewards and will be disappointed to see it not there this year but ill still shop with them. They are close enough in price with amazon and are local.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

OmegaGene wrote: »
    €10 off €50 can result in nearly €100 if you’re coy and do a few checkouts, the vouchers could be obtained by email and everyone has multiple emails and combine that with visa cash back that is on offer with smyths for the last 3 years the saving were not to be sniffed at and not just €10 as you say

Plenty of ways to save money elsewhere, I don't see the issue. Shop in Dunnes, you get money off every time you spend €50. Wait for black Friday for the new Call of Duty. Keep your McDonald's stickers for a free coffee. Regularly switch car insurance, utility supplier, bank etc. Skip a few takeaways/pints/coffees.

I made money with Smyths and CeX multiple times. Bought a boat load of copies of Black Ops a few years ago on Black Friday and sold them €10 profit a piece into CeX. Made €80 cash profit per unit selling PlayStation VR and €20 profit on a few iPhones. Plenty of ways to make money too.

Smyth's will still clean up. A few people here and there shopping on Amazon doesn't stop them being flat out at Christmas. Some people don't want to compare different websites and shipping costs to get a good price on something they can just pick-up in store.

If people are really hard done by a discount going away then they're free to shop elsewhere or not at all, they aren't owed anything. It's a shame to lose a discount but Christmas is hardly cancelled because a discount is gone. I don't want to sound harsh but people shouldn't be relying on a Smyth's discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Any rumours if they are doing the 10 euro off 50 this year round? Or is that a thing of the past now with smyths doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Think it’s a thing of the past - heard that Smyths only have enough stock for one crazy Christmas shopping week - my advice is to get everything you need as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Smyth's are the largest retailer of toys in Europe.

They will have no shortage of stock whatsoever.

There will of course be selective items sold out just like every year.

But scaremongering that a literal giant in retail terms will run out of stock is plain ridiculous.

Btw, I have a previous connection in the trade and still keep abreast of happenings from a trade perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

That is genuinely amazing news - had heard it from a current employee but I think you have put our minds at rest - thank you.

Advertisement