Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enhanced illness benefit

• 22-09-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi,
    I hope someone can help please. I developed a very bad cold on Saturday, with a bit of a sore throat. I rang the doctor who said to self isolate until Wednesday so I missed 3 days wages.

I applied for the enhanced illness benefit hoping to get some thing back for the three days.

Has anyone any knowledge or experience with this?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,897 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Acey10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope someone can help please. I developed a very bad cold on Saturday, with a bit of a sore throat. I rang the doctor who said to self isolate until Wednesday so I missed 3 days wages.

I applied for the enhanced illness benefit hoping to get some thing back for the three days.

Has anyone any knowledge or experience with this?

Thank you

I'm afraid a doctor telling you to self isolate is not enough. The process in getting enhanced illness benefit requires a specific incapacity to work medical certificate, which GPs are increasingly reluctant to issue unless a patient is sent for a Covid-19 test and dependant on that result.

You don't mention if GP even considered a test or indeed if a cert was issued. I presume if you applied for the enhanced illness benefit you would have seen the requirement to upload the medical cert??? or if doing it via post, the requirement to attach medical cert?

This benifit is not for temporary illness

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SourSessions

No personal experience but as long as you have the certificate from your doctor, I can't see an issue

No personal experience but as long as you have the certificate from your doctor, I can't see an issue

I'm just concerned for the OP that their GP only advising 3 day isolation (not the norm in a covid concern, no mention of a medical cert or a test, based on OP"s info, this may not be enough to be approved for the Enhanced illness benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

thanks for the replies, yes i got a cert saying to self isolate until Wednesday, there was no option to upload it when applying so i emalied it to them.
    i suppose ill have to wait and see, thanks again.

Acey10 wrote: »
    thanks for the replies, yes i got a cert saying to self isolate until Wednesday, there was no option to upload it when applying so i emalied it to them.
    i suppose ill have to wait and see, thanks again.

Once you have the cert you'll be fine then, that's the most important thing. Just surprised GP not advising test but hopefully that's a good thing. Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I was coming on here to ask the same question - had a headcold last week, followed the guidelines and rang my GP, tested and cleared but 2 days off work and my wages was deducted - i'm actually quite annoyed over it to be honest, i thought i was doing the right thing by the people i work with which includes my manager who processes payroll!
    I won't be doing it again, if they are uncomfortable being around me when i have a cold, they may leave the office instead!
    I don't have the option to work from home as they don't have the set up for us to do that (even though the job could be done from home!)

I was coming on here to ask the same question - had a headcold last week, followed the guidelines and rang my GP, tested and cleared but 2 days off work and my wages was deducted - i'm actually quite annoyed over it to be honest, i thought i was doing the right thing by the people i work with which includes my manager who processes payroll!
    I won't be doing it again, if they are uncomfortable being around me when i have a cold, they may leave the office instead!
    I don't have the option to work from home as they don't have the set up for us to do that (even though the job could be done from home!)

Quite annoying they docked you 2 days pay, actually pathetic, given in a normal circumstance your not required to present a normal sick cert for first 3 days. It's a sad d reality but it goes to show if your advised under any circumstances to self isolate or get a test, request an incapacity sick cert from GP immediately and apply for enhanced sickness benefit, it's terrible to be advising this but if employers are going to act the maggot, employees have to look after their interests & well being first. I emphasise GET THE Cert, no applications will be processed without it.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Quite annoying they docked you 2 days pay, actually pathetic, given in a normal circumstance your not required to present a normal sick cert for first 3 days. It's a sad d reality but it goes to show if your advised under any circumstances to self isolate or get a test, request an incapacity sick cert from GP immediately and apply for enhanced sickness benefit, it's terrible to be advising this but if employers are going to act the maggot, employees have to look after their interests & well being first. I emphasise GET THE Cert, no applications will be processed without it.

I've been onto my GP to get the cert to cover it - i didn't do it last week as i presumed that by following guidelines and protecting THEM, that i would be paid!
    I've never been one to take the mickey, i wouldn't normally even dream of taking time off for a cold but hey ho, lesson learned!
    I will be letting them know how i feel though, whether it gets me anywhere or not who knows but no point in complaining about it then saying nothing!

I've been onto my GP to get the cert to cover it - i didn't do it last week as i presumed that by following guidelines and protecting THEM, that i would be paid!
    I've never been one to take the mickey, i wouldn't normally even dream of taking time off for a cold but hey ho, lesson learned!
    I will be letting them know how i feel though, whether it gets me anywhere or not who knows but no point in complaining about it then saying nothing!

The question though, is too late or does the enhanced illness benefit cover temporary sick leave, I really don't think it does, the idea behind it, was initially to cover those who either had to self isolate, get a test etc, the self isolating rules cover two weeks. To be honest I'd contact SW to clarify. Your GP perhaps should have advised self isolating from the start, I'd be surprised if SW will approve after the fact if you get my meaning.

The question though, is too late or does the enhanced illness benefit cover temporary sick leave, I really don't think it does, the idea behind it, was initially to cover those who either had to self isolate, get a test etc, the self isolating rules cover two weeks. To be honest I'd contact SW to clarify. Your GP perhaps should have advised self isolating from the start, I'd be surprised if SW will approve after the fact if you get my meaning.

I think i read somewhere (and i hope i am right with this!), that you must claim within 6 weeks of being unwell?

• Advertisement

I think i read somewhere (and i hope i am right with this!), that you must claim within 6 weeks of being unwell?

I'm not sure, the payment I presume would need to be applied for immediately, the reason being its not paid if your working, I'd imagine you'd be given some time assuming your still off but not 6 weeks or if you've returned to work. More details here but I'd be concerned about the 6 weeks assumption?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html

According to this, i don't actually need a cert from the GP - once i have the text from the HSE i can use that!
    I have the text with my appointment date and time and the text from the HSE showing the test was negative!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html#l1f4da

According to this, i don't actually need a cert from the GP - once i have the text from the HSE i can use that!
    I have the text with my appointment date and time and the text from the HSE showing the test was negative!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/covid19_enhanced_illness_benefit.html#l1f4da

Yes apologies, that text, communication addition was brought in late August, sorry, forget about that

Yes apologies, that text, communication addition was brought in late August, sorry, forget about that

To be fair, nothing is made easy!!

I'll speak to my employer tomorrow in relation to it and if i get nowhere, i'll apply for the enhanced illness benefit then.
    Still think it's very unfair to follow the guidelines and be punished for it!

To be fair, nothing is made easy!!

I'd still prefer cert to be honest, just a humble opinion.

I'd still prefer cert to be honest, just a humble opinion.

Oh i have contacted my GP for it, waiting on them to come back to me - but at least it does say i don't actually need it!

Actually, another question which someone may or may not know the answer to.

If i apply for enhanced illness benefit x 2 days, and the payment goes direct to me, does this then affect my wages going forward?
    What i mean is, will i pay tax on the 2 days benefit and this be paid by reducing my tax credits in work?

Actually, another question which someone may or may not know the answer to.

If i apply for enhanced illness benefit x 2 days, and the payment goes direct to me, does this then affect my wages going forward?
    What i mean is, will i pay tax on the 2 days benefit and this be paid by reducing my tax credits in work?

Firstly you need to find out if you can apply for just two days, I'm not sure this is how this benefit works, secondly whilst PUP is taxable, I've not heard anyth about if this benefit is and it's a question for SW/Revenue, if it is, I doubt very much it would make the slightest difference. PUP & TWSS recipients won't actually find out tax liability until Jan next

My gp came back to day yes, I can claim for the 2 days and they'll send the form electronically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mum37

Does anyone know how long it takes for enhanced illness benefit to come through, is it quick or will u be waiting? Am self isolating due to my child contracting virus! Have uploaded hse info to the section but no txt or email back? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mum37

Anybody get enhanced illness benefit lately is it taking long?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Hi, im the original poster, im still waiting...

Has anyone else got theirs yet??

Hi
    I applied Thursday morning and money was in my account Saturday morning (pending transaction so technically went in today!)
    I didn't get any notification or anything from them.
    For 2 days I got €116.67

Hi
    I applied Thursday morning and money was in my account Saturday morning (pending transaction so technically went in today!)
    I didn't get any notification or anything from them.
    For 2 days I got €116.67

Good stuff, glad it sorted itself out and helpful to know the payment is there for those losing a few days

Good stuff, glad it sorted itself out and helpful to know the payment is there for those losing a few days

Yeah, nice and quick thankfully!

Still annoyed over the work situation though, was basically told that I was wrong to take my colleagues welfare into account before taking time off and the reason I should have got tested was cuz government says I have to 🀔😒

Yeah, nice and quick thankfully!

Still annoyed over the work situation though, was basically told that I was wrong to take my colleagues welfare into account before taking time off and the reason I should have got tested was cuz government says I have to 🀔😒

Today's possible level 5 restrictions might be a wake up call I fear and its clear not enough people actually taking the advice given.

Today's possible level 5 restrictions might be a wake up call I fear and its clear not enough people actually taking the advice given.

I really really hope it doesn't happen 😟
    Won't make any odds for me though, we never closed up last time so doubt we will this time either

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rinleezz

I rang my GP last Wednesday morning after getting sent home from work on Tuesday night. They booked a test for me and didn't mention self-isolation, but that's understood according to HSE guidelines - you are getting a test, you're self-isolating. I lost 3 days of work and as per the company sick scheme, there are 3 waiting days that are not paid. I'm wondering now, should the GP have issued me a cert and do I qualify to get anything back?

• Advertisement

rinleezz wrote: »
    I rang my GP last Wednesday morning after getting sent home from work on Tuesday night. They booked a test for me and didn't mention self-isolation, but that's understood according to HSE guidelines - you are getting a test, you're self-isolating. I lost 3 days of work and as per the company sick scheme, there are 3 waiting days that are not paid. I'm wondering now, should the GP have issued me a cert and do I qualify to get anything back?

Please look at previous posts re this particular issue. In essence yes, you can claim enhanced illness benefit for days lost., you need some sort of confirmation of test being requested, self isolation request etc, either a text communication or Cert form your GP. Also take a look at guidelines on this benefit on the SW website.

Best & quickest way to apply is via mywelfare portal

Advertisement