Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung TV 2.5 years old having issues

• 06-09-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a 50 inch 4K samsung smart TV that I bought in May of 2018.
    Over the past few months I've started to see white rings/circles on the screen when there is a lot of white in the picture.
    At first I though I was seeing things, but it's getting works and after a google search I found that it's happening to a lot of people: Linky

Anhoo - do I have any comeback on this as it has a standard 1 year warranty from Power City ?
    That being said I would reasonably expect lot more out of a TV than 2.5 years.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Contact Samsung directly with proof of the known problem side of it. Had a problem with a 3 year old Samsung a few years ago, again a known issue. They replaced the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Upto six years to claim in Ireland, although an independent report may be necessary. Dont get one until asked but factor that into the path of least resistance. Manufacturer may be the way to go here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Upto six years to claim in Ireland, although an independent report may be necessary. Dont get one until asked but factor that into the path of least resistance. Manufacturer may be the way to go here.
    Six years to make a claim, right, but I guess it's a known problem from the start....Tricky though.,,

Anyhow - Samsung call first maybe

OK- so just off a 55 minute call with Samsung (mostly on hold for different departments) and no joy.
    They are basically saying the manufacturer warranty is 1 year.
    I have argued that it is a known issue at the time of manufacture, and it has been escalated but still no joy.
    Where to now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

back to power city. drop in and speak with the manager.
    under the sale of goods and supply act ask them to offer you one of the 3 R's - repair / replace / refund.

if power city fail to help, and you exhaust the complaint process with them, you can then open a claim at the small court.

• Advertisement

Can I still do that if there is only a 1 year warranty ?
    Or how does it work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the warranty is irrelevant because it is in addition to your consumer rights, it does not modify or reduce them. forget the warranty.
    Statutory Warranty

All products sold on this website carry a Warranty.
    The individual product warranty details are displayed on the product purchase page.

Aftersales Service is operated from our call center :

Powercity, Unit 12 Pinewood Close, Boghall Road, Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.
    For further assistance , please contact us here. Contact Us

Where a manufacturer carries out the after sales service we will liaise with the manufacturer or their agent.
    Where there is a replacement guarantee we will provide this service directly.
    Your statutory rights are not affected.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complain-to-a-business/#Step1

this site is great, explains your rights very clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just be warned, OP. Unless PC have had a massive change in policy, they're going to point to this "warranty" also. Bottom line is, if you have not damaged it, you have a right to redress. The warranty is irrelevant though as it has nothing to do with your consumer rights which you can and should remind them of. You do need to go back to them though as it's the start of the "get out of honouring our responsibility" game that most big retailers enforce. Don't lose the rag but do see what they can escalate for you. You may leave unsatisfied but then the game really kicks in.

A letter to HQ explaining the situation and how your rights are being denied (with a threat of SCC) will usually get issues resolved from there. If not you may need to get an indy report showing you've not physically damaged it and push on to the SCC. Then they'll either fold before the court date (usually will make you wait until the very last minute too) or they'll get slapped by a SCC court judge for not following the rules.

Things to note - a judge will normally account for the amount of use you have got from the item in an award valuation so the amount of time and effort required would need to be weighed up. So basically, if it's an expensive telly I'd follow the process to the end but if we're talking about something <€500 or so, I'm not sure I'd pay for an indy report as you won't get that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

OP I had a very similar issue with my TV with PC they tried to fob me off to Samsung and to pay to have the screen replaced at over €400.

I wrote a letter and I did need to open a case with SCC, PC refunded my money in full once I got a date for my hearing I didn’t need to go in the end.

Use the 3 Rs always remember the contract of sale is with who you purchased off not the manufacturer. Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bad advice to talk to Samsung as you are letting PC off the hook, you have zero contractual relationship with Samsung.
    This is a fault with the TV, as earlier poster advised, off to PC, then in writing to PC if they refuse, then SCC and I guarantee you will get your refund.
    SCC, best thing ever for Irish consumerism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

Similar thing with Samsung about 5 years ago ,three year old TV started white banding. Tried to bring back to PC world who would take the TV at a huge cost to ship to repair hub in UK and then would only fix if it wasnt the consumer fault. Well known issue with model.
    Anyway I rang Samsung every day for about 3 months ,I can still hear the start of the message now Failte and welcome to Samsung Ireland which I took offense them using a British center with a bit of Gaeilge to keep us happy on their phone message. Fobbed off with this department and that department day in day out. Some days they would even deny that a certain department exists.
    Then one day one of them made the mistake of giving me one of their managers direct dial numbers so I pestered him day in day out for about 2 weeks. In parallel I lodged a claim against PC world in the small claims court.
    Eventually the manager got sick of me calling him by week two I think twice a day so they agreed to fix the TV free of charge. Brand new panel put into the TV it was like new and still in perfect working order to this day.
    It was a tough slog which at times I enjoyed and I knew Id win the small claims court but eventually I won it so OP keep going ,three years is not long enough for an expensive piece of kit

OK - for my consumer rights - have I got this right?

1) My contract is with the seller, i.e. Power City so it's them I must raise this with

2) The warranty is irrelevant as "A guarantee or warranty gives you additional protection. However, if something goes wrong, you still have consumer rights, regardless of any warranty or guarantee."

3) "If the fault appears six months after it was received, you may have to prove that it was not caused by you"
    I guess this is where the multiple reports on the samsung support website come into play - right ?

4) I have 6 years to raise this as an issue as , so after 2.5 years I'm as 'The right to a remedy applies for at least 2 years across the EU. Member States are allowed to set longer time limits (known as limitation periods). In Ireland, the limitation period is 6 years. This means you are entitled to raise a problem about a product for up to 6 years from the date of buying."

That about cover it (just checking !)

BTW - got the info from CCPC and Citizen's advice

Thats pretty much it but you may be required to produce your own report, the cost of which cannot be reclaimed. Don't get one until asked as there are multiple points where they might cave and the Registrar may not ask for it.

Cool- thanks for all your help y'all !

slave1 wrote: »
    Bad advice to talk to Samsung as you are letting PC off the hook, you have zero contractual relationship with Samsung.
    This is a fault with the TV, as earlier poster advised, off to PC, then in writing to PC if they refuse, then SCC and I guarantee you will get your refund.
    SCC, best thing ever for Irish consumerism

I'm looking right now at the then brand new TV Samsung gave us replacing a 3.5 year old one we bought in Power City (who refused to help). It took three phonecalls.

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm looking right now at the then brand new TV Samsung gave us replacing a 3.5 year old one we bought in Power City (who refused to help). It took three phonecalls.

Was definitely worth a call to get their initial stance. I'll get back to them in parallel with Power City calls.

What was the issue with your TV @Caranica?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Was definitely worth a call to get their initial stance. I'll get back to them in parallel with Power City calls.

What was the issue with your TV @Caranica?

Sound and no picture, could last hours, could last days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Can I still do that if there is only a 1 year warranty ?
    Or how does it work ?

Yes, I took a case over a laptop 5 year old and won.

It’s online and make sure you post evidence of this as a known issue.

Probably won’t even make court.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

Caranica wrote: »

For future reference, richer sounds do a 6 years warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You seem to recommend them an awful lot.

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You seem to recommend them an awful lot.

Always their customer care is fab and let’s be honest nowhere else will u get such a lengthy warranty,only passing on what I have ,,,,,ps I’ve nothing whatsoever to do commercially with richer sounds .ie
    ( I’m a painter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

That is an extended warranty , managed in UK. I think similar extended warranties can be purchased in a lot of electrical shops

Are you really recommending purchase in UK this close to a no deal Brexit where the customer might have no remedy except outside the EU?

rock22 wrote: »
    That is an extended warranty , managed in UK. I think similar extended warranties can be purchased in a lot of electrical shops

Are you really recommending purchase in UK this close to a no deal Brexit where the customer might have no remedy except outside the EU?

Cop on FFS richer sounds are based on the island of Ireland 🇮🇪, depend on free state based customers to an extent, on boards for year’s,haven’t seen one complaint here ref bad customer service experience, extended warranty is included in their below par prices in comparison to any ROI outlet I’ve seen,
    So your point means pc world, curries etc are not going to stand by their guarantees because of brexit? Or any of our high street uk owned shops? Get a grip boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

Op I had exact same issue as you but with Harvey Norman, we got a successful remedy by lodging a case with the Small Claims court. It never progressed to the SC. Best of luck, the consumer law is on your side!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Cop on FFS ..., depend on free state based customers to an extent,

So your point means pc world, curries etc are not going to stand by their guarantees because of brexit? Or any of our high street uk owned shops? Get a grip boy

So we are now free state customers!
    Any contract entered into now with a UK seller may or may not be covered by EU consumer legislation, depending on whether a deal is done.
    Richer sound say the 6 year warranty is an extended warranty which can be purchased, and they give term for cancelling etc. I don't know if it is included in all their prices but you seem to know it is.

UK business selling within Ireland( there is no such thing as ROI) will be doing so in line with Irish and EU law, giving peace of mind.

Until there is a clear outcome to Brexit, I believe it would be wiser not to purchase from UK. That is the simple point i was making

rock22 wrote: »
    UK business selling within Ireland( there is no such thing as ROI) will be doing so in line with Irish and EU law, giving peace of mind.

Until there is a clear outcome to Brexit, I believe it would be wiser not to purchase from UK. That is the simple point i was making

Republic of Ireland Act, 1948

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Cop on FFS richer sounds are based on the island of Ireland &#55356;&#56814;&#55356;&#56810;, depend on free state based customers to an extent, on boards for year’s,haven’t seen one complaint here ref bad customer service experience, extended warranty is included in their below par prices in comparison to any ROI outlet I’ve seen,

in fairness, RS have a great rep here on boards, predominantly due to the fact they have had an active presence onboards, charge in either sterling or euro, Are pretty competitive on price for b&m and deliver to the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Had a Bosch dishwasher heating element fail over the weekend. 3.5 years old

PowerCity/Bosch both did the fob off out of warranty blah blah, even after reminding them of Sale of Goods & Services act.

Gave them 10 days to respond.

Missus wants a working dishwasher. If they don't respond in 10 days can i go buy a new dishwasher (not from them obvs) and then request refund (or go via SCC and request refund)?

Or how long is a reasonable time to be without working appliance before you replace it yourself?

daheff wrote: »
    Had a Bosch dishwasher heating element fail over the weekend. 3.5 years old

PowerCity/Bosch both did the fob off out of warranty blah blah, even after reminding them of Sale of Goods & Services act.

Gave them 10 days to respond.

Missus wants a working dishwasher. If they don't respond in 10 days can i go buy a new dishwasher (not from them obvs) and then request refund (or go via SCC and request refund)?

Or how long is a reasonable time to be without working appliance before you replace it yourself?

A repair would be more reasonable imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

A repair would be more reasonable imho.

I'm more than happy to take a repair, but in a reasonable timeframe. I'm trying to figure out how long is a reasonable timeframe to have them repair the appliance.

as an aside, they've admitted they don't have a repair facility.

Advertisement