Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carers benefit and means test

Options
  • 30-07-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭

What is the income threshold for carers benefit?

Wife’s father has fallen ill, lives with us so she can not go back to work. Wondering does she qualify?

I would be a relatively high earner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

893bet wrote: »

Wife’s father has fallen ill, lives with us so she can not go back to work. Wondering does she qualify?

Carers benefit isn't means tested. Provided your wife has enough stamps to claim the benefit, it will be paid for 2 years. Then she moves on to carers allowance which is means tested. Check out the citizens information website for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Carers benefit isn't means tested. Provided your wife has enough stamps to claim the benefit, it will be paid for 2 years. Then she moves on to carers allowance which is means tested. Check out the citizens information website for more details.

Thanks! I called it carers benefit by mistake! Didn’t even know there was a thing. Had only seen carers allowance.

Thanks. Sadly I don’t think we will need to worry about it longer than 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

As the previous poster stated, there’s no means test for Benefit, it’s PRSI related for 104 weeks.

What proof is needed that the person requires care?

Doctors letter or is it more in-depth?

What proof is needed that the person requires care?

Doctors letter or is it more in-depth?

Here’s the application. There’s a whole section for the carees GP to complete.

https://assets.gov.ie/19923/2847745f86944188b90be0e885bf4a01.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

It's a very detailed and laborious process. In depth medical assessment. You will be visited by a SW Inspector who will ask about the day to day care that he needs - they go into a lot of details.

Wait times for decisions are around 26 weeks. In my experience, it's one of the hardest SW schemes to qualify for.

It's a very detailed and laborious process. In depth medical assessment. You will be visited by a SW Inspector who will ask about the day to day care that he needs - they go into a lot of details.

Wait times for decisions are around 26 weeks. In my experience, it's one of the hardest SW schemes to qualify for.

This person is applying for Carers benefit, not allowance. The inspector never visits in the case of benefit as it’s usually a crisis and the wait time is 12 weeks.

On part 5 of the form "details of your qualified children"

Do we complete this? we have one child but my wife is applying to be carer for her dad so I assume the child is not relevant?

On part 5 of the form "details of your qualified children"

Do we complete this? we have one child but my wife is applying to be carer for her dad so I assume the child is not relevant?

Your wife may get extra money in respect of your child if your (her husbands) income is within a certain range. That’s why they’re asking for details of children for whom you both are financially responsible.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Your wife may get extra money in respect of your child if your (her husbands) income is within a certain range. That’s why they’re asking for details of children for whom you both are financially responsible.

Ah. Unlikely I am within that range. Will mark as N/A so.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ah. Unlikely I am within that range. Will mark as N/A so.

Thanks,

You would be surprised at how many people say that, and actually end up being entitled to some extra. I'd still put all details down on the form! :)

Struggling with the form.

Wife is both partime employed-PAYE (contract adhoc teaching hours any where from 4-12 per week)
    And self employed part-time.

PAYE employer has filled in the form and my wife would not have worked more than 16 hrs per week ever for them-(This would mean she doesnt qualify if this was her only source of work, only paid for contact hours of course so nothing for prep work etc. ).

Her self employment would have been more that 16hr a week every week regardless but there doesnt seem to be anywhere on the form for that to be filled in.

Any guidance?

****ing joke.

Self employed hours not included so she won’t meet the 16 hours a week payment.

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

****ing joke.

Self employed hours not included so she won’t meet the 16 hours a week payment.

Very disappointing.
    I can't find this explained anywhere, I can see where people who are solely self employed are not entitled to this because PRSI rate S is not one of the qualifying rates, but nowhere does it say you can't combine employed and self employed hours, what exactly did the rejection letter say, I personally would be appealing it, does she meet all the other conditions of the scheme i.e. correct number of PRSI contributions etc.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/d77139-operational-guidelines-carers-benefit/

august12 wrote: »
    I can't find this explained anywhere, I can see where people who are solely self employed are not entitled to this because PRSI rate S is not one of the qualifying rates, but nowhere does it say you can't combine employed and self employed hours, what exactly did the rejection letter say, I personally would be appealing it, does she meet all the other conditions of the scheme i.e. correct number of PRSI contributions etc.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/d77139-operational-guidelines-carers-benefit/

We didn’t formally apply. We were told this on the phone with the section that it was “unlikely” due to the hours.

Prsi contributions should be ok. She could have claimed maternity from either her self employment contributions or her paye ones.

You are right. Stick it in. Let them reject. Then appeal it.

We didn’t formally apply. We were told this on the phone with the section that it was “unlikely” due to the hours.

Prsi contributions should be ok. She could have claimed maternity from either her self employment contributions or her paye ones.

You are right. Stick it in. Let them reject. Then appeal it.
    Yes, definitely apply for it and appeal if it's a no, nothing to lose only your sanity trying to compete these forms, I often think they are designed this way to discourage people from filling them.

The form calls for a "statement from accountant if self employed"

What is this supposed to state?

The form calls for a "statement from accountant if self employed"

What is this supposed to state?
    I think it's self employed most recent set of accounts which accountant would have completed or if no accountant and you return your own accounts through revenue, you can download your returns from revenue site, I think.

Rejected. Stated she did not work the minimum 16 hrs per week.

Application clearly showed that no, in the PAYE she did not meet the 16 hrs but when the self employment was included that she clearly did.

Going to appeal......

Rejected. Stated she did not work the minimum 16 hrs per week.

Application clearly showed that no, in the PAYE she did not meet the 16 hrs but when the self employment was included that she clearly did.

Going to appeal......
    And ask them to clarify where in the terms and conditions self employed hours are excluded.
    Get representation from a TD, explain your case to them, you have to fight tooth and nail to get any support in this country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement