Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would one go about making this:

Options
  • 18-04-2020 7:09pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm a teacher, working from home, and have a website where I put up notes etc. for my students. I found an amazing website, and essentially want to do what this person has done, they did it for German, I want to do it for Irish.

It's a game where you guess the gender of the noun, I'd like to do it for a few different grammar things. The website address is here: http://deutsch.ie/german-grammar/die-der-das-game/

Do you think it would be very hard? I know basic programming, enough to host a site and make it pretty. Would be great if this were just a plug in I could get.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

Plugin? I doubt it. But if you are a teacher then maybe you could teach yourself a little bit of front-end development :) At least enough to get this done. There are a few things you'll need to wrap your head around.

1. You'll need to use javascript or a javascript famework like jQuery to manipulate DOM elements on your webpage. Use javascript to change the button colours and make text appear and disappear. Ajax is the javascript technique you need to pull the information for each grammar lesson from your server without having to reload the webpage.

2. To store the grammar lesson text and answers use a database on your server such as MySQL or SQLlite. A simple table with two or three columns would probably be enough.

3. This deutsche.ie webpage renders nicely on mobile. To do that and get your students all studying on their mobile phones instead of Snapchatting you should use a CSS framework called Bootstrap.

I'd encurage you to have a go. Alternatively, a developer on Upwork could do this for you. I think it would be fairly straightforward. Good luck!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The website is built on WordPress, Table press is used for laying out the table of grammar. The game part looks like some custom coding.

Why not just email them and ask, I am sure they can point you in the right direction or may be willing to share the code when its for educational purposes.

Try using Google Forms - perfect for yes/no and multiple choice questions. VERY easy to use.

Advertisement