Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

Spleerbun wrote: »
    My local crèche is paying staff for next two weeks at least anyway while closed, and after that will be reassessed again.

At times like this people have a tendency to only see things from their own point of view, and not realise many are often affected worse than them. Decisions like this aren't always black and white

Ditto. I assume your wages are not being stopped at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Spleerbun wrote: »
    My local crèche is paying staff for next two weeks at least anyway while closed, and after that will be reassessed again.

At times like this people have a tendency to only see things from their own point of view, and not realise many are often affected worse than them. Decisions like this aren't always black and white

Not sure if you weren't reading the thread, many parents are well aware that places are not paying staff, regardless the idea of paying full whack for a service not provided is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

dubrov wrote: »
    Ditto. I assume your wages are not being stopped at the moment.

Actually completely shut down until 29th March as things stand, and no doubt that will go on longer at this rate, so like many in this country I'm not in the best position right now. Savings will only cover overheads for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Have no kids at the age this is needed but just interested. Have most/all creches not also pre-schools so they will be receiving ecce grants for all this time, why would they not pay staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Got an email from our creche today. They are giving us back 10 days credit for the 2 weeks in march they will be closed, the credit will be deducted from our monthly bill over the next 6 months. Really really impressed with them, honestly didn't expect anything back for this month from them. They will send further communication near the end of the month relating to April and depending on how things go.

Ours are the same. Was really surprised to get the email today and really appreciate it as I won't get paid if my employment closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Note the Pandemic payment announced today. The creche and any business is asked to keep the workers on their books, pay them €305, then reclaim that from the Govt. So creches have no wage bill, just overheads at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Water John wrote: »
    Note the Pandemic payment announced today. The creche and any business is asked to keep the workers on their books, pay them €305, then reclaim that from the Govt. So creches have no wage bill, just overheads at this time.

The payment is only €203, not €305.

€305 is illness payment and only for people with confirmed cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭enricoh

Have one of the girls from the creche minding ours in the house from next week on. Tenner an hour, very lucky to get her.
    Don't fancy paying the creche full whack for April though. Realistically it's going to be closed for April, may and June imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Have no kids at the age this is needed but just interested. Have most/all creches not also pre-schools so they will be receiving ecce grants for all this time, why would they not pay staff?

Ecce only covers 3 hours per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

enricoh wrote: »
    Have one of the girls from the creche minding ours in the house from next week on. Tenner an hour, very lucky to get her.
    Don't fancy paying the creche full whack for April though. Realistically it's going to be closed for April, may and June imo.

No doubt the Govt wont inform people in advance, in an effort to try keep businesses afloat, but if this goes on, then the Govt needs to inform us for how long. Ive no intention of paying the next months fee in full, especially with the lack of information so far from the service provider and if its going on for months they can forget about it.
    Any claim that we'll lose the place will be worth nothing if they are providing no service for months and anyone who pays is mad. Do they expect us to keep paying? for nothing! And then pay on top of that for childcare elsewhere anyway?

I know many of these businesses will try use the threat no matter how vaguely or nicely its put that children could lose their place, it was used on me before.

• Advertisement

They can't tell anyone for how long, because it depends on how people act now. Will they take this seriously, maintain social distance, self-isolate if necessary.

The Gov are trying to slow the rate of infection so the health services can cope, but they can't stop others from getting infected. Someone who was in contact with an infected person today, would only start showing symptoms in two weeks, someone who is in contact them will only show symptoms two weeks after that... and so on. So if everything was reopened then, then the cycle will just start again. Its taken China months to start to get a handle on this.

I'd be very shocked and surprised if creches or primary schools etc will be reopened again before May, if even then. I doubt secondary's will reopen this year.

A friend of mine who is a Kindergarten teacher in Canada has just started her Spring break but has been told that her school most likely will not reopen at all this year, but will be closed until the new school year in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

According to our creche, the funding they receive covers 30% of their overheads, the remainder is covered by the fees we pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Will the dept pay the creches ecce while there are no kids there though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

This is an example of the letters doing the rounds, identifiers removed

————————————————————

16th March 2020
    Dear Parents
    I hope you are all keeping well.
    I hope that this email will bring some clarity to previous correspondence, along with answering some
    questions that have been asked in recent days.

There have been many comments with regard to the saving we may make in terms of light, heat, food (indirect/variable costs). Our variable costs make up a very small percentage of our operating costs. To be completely transparent these costs amount to approximately €3,000 per month on average per crèche. Our labour costs make up the majority of our operational costs.

Separately, we need to be clear that under the business interruption section of our insurance policy, we are not covered in the event that the HSE/Government order a blanket closure of childcare settings. You will be aware of the issues facing the childcare industry in terms of the limited number of insurance providers available to operators – I imagine we aren’t the only provider to find ourselves without cover in this situation.
    On Friday the 13thof March we issued correspondence to all parents.
    This correspondence explained our approach to the current Government forced closures. Our rationale is based on 1) child safety, 2) understanding the importance of our colleagues to our business and trying to ensure they are with us when we reopen and 3) supporting our families who find themselves with no income during this unprecedented health crisis.
    The money saved on indirect costs will primarily go towards helping those families most in need at this time. The small variable cost savings are also helping us make a commitment to pay our colleagues for as long as is humanly possible. This is obviously a financial hit to XXXXX, but one that is necessary keeping sustainability in mind.
    We would also like to make you aware that all of our XXXXX colleagues who are being paid are still
    working at this time - whether they are catching up on administration, deep cleaning premises, or providing child-minding free of charge to frontline families - every colleague has been given work to continue on with.
    Our leadership team is also working closely with key stakeholders to try and open on a small capacity to help frontline medics, who as we know, are needed more than ever. Again, if we are sanctioned to open in these circumstances there will be no charge to the families we help. Furthermore, if the Government gives a subsidy for this service we will directly pass this back to our families.
    The public announcement by An Taoiseach Leo Vardakar on Thursday 12th March was when we became aware that all of our services had to close ‪at 6pm‬ that very evening. You will appreciate that we are in the middle of a rapidly evolving situation and nobody has all of the answers at this time. However, we are doing our best to respond to address concerns as soon as they come to our attention.

At XXXXX we have an ethos of ‘respect for all’ - our children, our families and our colleagues. This ethos makes us who we are. We need to commit to supporting our colleagues with a commitment to pay wages in the short term and hopefully until normality resumes. With this in mind some of our senior executive team are forgoing their wages to help ensure we can do fulfil this our commitment.
    We also need your support. In the case you are currently being paid or are on paid holidays, you should honour our fees policy and pay your fees as you agreed when signing your agreement with
    XXXXX. If you are in difficulty and are not getting paid, please contact our accounts team. We will request simple vouched documentation of your circumstances and will work to adjust your commitments.
    We will be completely transparent in our processes. We will be applying for any pay subsidies and funds available to us in order to support our business. Where we receive funds we will fairly and equally distribute these funds back to families who have supported and paid us during this time.
    Our fees policy will stand during this period, as it is correct, fair and moral. It allows us to support our families most at need, our colleagues and to sustain the service once this crisis has ended.
    You are within your rights to give the agreed notice to terminate your place at one of our services (30 days written notice). However, by doing so please be aware that places will be offered to families who have been on our waiting list and we cannot guarantee there will be availability should you wish for your child/ren to return to one of our services.
    We would like to also highlight the consequences of us not paying our colleagues. The likelihood is that they will find work elsewhere. This will result in XXXXX reducing the number of childcare places available as we will be unable to adhere to ratios in accordance with the childcare regulations. The end result of this being that we will have to shut rooms and give families notice at our services.
    Like you, we are hoping for a speedy end to the unprecedented challenges we are facing, which, we will get through together. We have the difficult task of trying to do what we feel is correct in difficult circumstances. It is not a one size fits all matter and as you can imagine with X children attending
    our services and the livelihoods of X colleagues to think about, we always try our best to be fair and moral. We would ask that you find it in your heart at this difficult time to do the same.
    All of us are going to face hardship during this crisis. However, we hope the social impact of our closure will mean less of us will face the loss of vulnerable loved ones, and hospitals can cope with the numbers who appear needing critical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1874 wrote:
    No doubt the Govt wont inform people in advance, in an effort to try keep businesses afloat, but if this goes on, then the Govt needs to inform us for how long. Ive no intention of paying the next months fee in full, especially with the lack of information so far from the service provider and if its going on for months they can forget about it. Any claim that we'll lose the place will be worth nothing if they are providing no service for months and anyone who pays is mad. Do they expect us to keep paying? for nothing! And then pay on top of that for childcare elsewhere anyway?

All indicators are pointing to schools not reopening until September. Primary school might make it back for a few weeks in June.

The EU travel ban is for 30 days initially and might be extended. This is a very strong indicator that crèches will be closed for at least another month but probably longer AND the 30 day ban hasn't even started yet. The lock down in China is still in place so again this points to at least two to three months but probably longer. Northern Ireland are taking about closing schools for four months when they do decide to close them. England are taking about 4 months forced isolation for OAPs and people who are at risk.

There is absolutely nothing in the media or coming from the government that suggests that this will end within the next month. Gardai and health board have leased vehicles for an initial four months.

I suggest that you plan for an initial two months with the possibility of it going four months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It really is amazing that people are being asked to pay for a service when they are not getting said service.

It is not any consumers of a service's responsibility to pay staff wages when not availing of a service. There are social supports which are set up to deal with situations like this.

This will go on until the summer at least so no creche until September probably and when they do reopen they will be crying out for children to fill the places as the economy will be in trouble with unfortunately many people unemployed.

Don't fall for any emotional blackmail employed by the creches to make you feel like you should pay to keep a place or to contribute to their employees wages

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Parents are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    I presume most places pay a month in advance and pay a month’s deposit, so either way the crèche will get paid till the end of April.

If people don’t pay they lose their places and their deposits. Where I live childcare is impossible to get. Our local crèche have a grand total of 3 baby spots.

If crèches are getting full fees the staff should be paid. There is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

The suggestion by that crèche that their staff will likely find work elsewhere and not come back is bizarre to say the least. Where are they going to find this work? Every crèche in the country is closed and businesses are closing their doors by the dozen resulting in more and more people at home not requiring child care. Other than the HSE I’m not seeing signs of a recruitment drive in any other sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Laserb

Hi for those of you that have childminders who mind in their home, will you be paying any fees during the lock down? Presumably childminder's can avail of the emergency social welfare payment..

Laserb wrote: »
    Hi for those of you that have childminders who mind in their home, will you be paying any fees during the lock down? Presumably childminder's can avail of the emergency social welfare payment..

If the childminders who mind in their own homes are registered as self employed, they should be able to claim the social welfare payment, if parents can't pay.

If they're not registered, and have a cash in hand arrangement with the parents, they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Millem wrote: »
    I presume most places pay a month in advance and pay a month’s deposit, so either way the crèche will get paid till the end of April.

If people don’t pay they lose their places and their deposits. Where I live childcare is impossible to get. Our local crèche have a grand total of 3 baby spots.

Agreed, I actually don't mind paying as normal.as long as the staff get paid as normal (I pay tax as normal and teachers continue to get paid out of that).

Obviously I'm lucky I'm still getting paid by a multi national as normal.

When things return to normal we need those places in the creche, and we need the creche to actually reopen - without that it's an even bigger headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Millem wrote: »

Don’t think people pay a month deposit to crèches, I never heard of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

salmocab wrote: »
    Don’t think people pay a month deposit to crèches, I never heard of that.

We have (x3)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Fireball81 wrote: »
    We have (x3)

Ours was €200 per child and will be deducted from our bill after 6 months which funnily is next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You don’t pay for a service that doesn’t get provided...

If I had my car booked in for a service tomorrow and the garage is closed, they txt me looking for credit card details? They’d be told to go and fûck themselves.

My gym membership expires tonight, should I also go online, with my credit card paying for a service they for the time being can’t provide? Will I fûck !

I usually go for pints on Tuesday, do I get a message from the owner requesting payment of 20 euro so he can keep his staff ?

Not a hope.. complete bullshît.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fireball81 wrote: »
    We have (x3)

Never heard of that before it’s usually a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Strumms wrote: »
    You don’t pay for a service that doesn’t get provided...

If I had my car booked in for a service tomorrow and the garage is closed, they txt me looking for credit card details? They’d be told to go and fûck themselves.

My gym membership expires tonight, should I also go online, with my credit card paying for a service they for the time being can’t provide? Will I fûck !

I usually go for pints on Tuesday, do I get a message from the owner requesting payment of 20 euro so he can keep his staff ?

Not a hope.. complete bullshît.
    Our local gyms closed yesterday & are both freezing memberships til they open again

Our Creche are looking for 50% fees to be paid, which while not as bad as others still sticks in the craw. They say they are 30% government funded, the staff are taking a cut (unclear how much but let’s say 1 day or 20%), they will have less variable costs of maybe 10%. So by my reckoning that’s 50+30+20+10 =110%!!

I will be expecting a revision of their request once the government support is clear, am happy to split the cost difference with the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

AulWan wrote:
    If the childminders who mind in their own homes are registered as self employed, they should be able to claim the social welfare payment, if parents can't pay.

This isn't the case. Most minding kids in their own home avail of a scheme like the rent a room scheme. They can earn up to 15k per year tax free. Anyone availing of this scheme won't be paying PRSI & won't qualify for the social welfare benefit payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This isn't the case. Most minding kids in their own home avail of a scheme like the rent a room scheme. They can earn up to 15k per year tax free. Anyone availing of this scheme won't be paying PRSI & won't qualify for the social welfare benefit payment.

They have the option to pay prsi of €500 per year if earning under €15,000 and so can avail of jobseekers or self-employed job seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Jade2015

boc121 wrote: »
    How much is the dole for a creche worker?

I think 305eur pw is the amount anyone who is applying for the dole under the covid 19 application.
    If for example a creche worker earns 600eur pw I think the government should also put in a scheme where the owner has to pay the short fall amount per week like 295eur for up to six weeks (sort of like a statute redundancy pay.) Then the creche owner should reduce the fees to the parents by about 305eur or slightly more as their electricity Bill's will be lower. Then I think the government should also step in and offer some sort of emergency grant to the creche owners and pay double the children's allowance for two months to ALL parents who receive children's allowance
    That way no one really loses out.
    If creche owners are also still been paid by the government for ECCE schemes etc. Then I think this should also factor into the reduction of fees to parents

Advertisement