Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Why dont they make all social welfare payments via banking online instead of queing in post office for next few weeks or until further notice?:confused:
    I have to collect my JSA next week from post office and those post office ques will only be getting longer and standing inline in a cramp post office with people possibly with the virus is scary :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Why dont they make all social welfare payments via banking online instead of queing in post office for next few weeks or until further notice? I have to collect my JSA next week from post office and those post office ques will only be getting longer and standing inline in a cramp post office with people possibly with the virus is scary

You are now able to get your Jobseekers payment into your bank account.

Contact your local office in the morning and ask for the form to be sent out to you.

Necro wrote: »

Contact your local office in the morning and ask for the form to be sent out to you.

Really is that a new thing? I asked last week in post office they said getting paid into bank was not allowable for JSA only Illness benefit and JSB but not JSA

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Can you not apply online. I'm trying to sort it out for my dad.

I wonder if I can wait for this to pass and then collect my money in April? Will they know that 2 weeks weren't paid?

Leo Varadkar just gave employers carte blanche to screw over their workers. I knew there will be unintended consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I wonder if I can wait for this to pass and then collect my money in April? Will they know that 2 weeks weren't paid?

Why wait?? Got sorted on the my gov website for him. Was really slow to load the pages but thats because they probably have a high volume.

So strange they are recommending to claim jobseekers when nobody will be actively looking for a job. They will be just waiting for the pubs to open back up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Really is that a new thing? I asked last week in post office they said getting paid into bank was not allowable for JSA only Illness benefit and JSB but not JSA

No it's for all now, post office wouldnt have up to date info.

Tbf to them though the circular was only released on Thursday I think

Why wait?? Got sorted on the my gov website for him. Was really slow to load the pages but thats because they probably have a high volume.

So strange they are recommending to claim jobseekers when nobody will be actively looking for a job. They will be just waiting for the pubs to open back up.
    Leo said not to gather to avoid spreading the virus.
    I can't use the website because it's telling me I need to visit an Intreo center to verify my number (haven't been unemployed for many years).

Leo said not to gather to avoid spreading the virus. I can't use the website because it's telling me I need to visit an Intreo center to verify my number (haven't been unemployed for many years).

Call your local office in the morning and get them to post you the forms maybe?

They are accommodating this more now given the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

“ If you’re given a temporary lay off then subject to your PRSI record”

If you’ve just received your PPS number because you are new to working in Ireland. How does this affect you?

Asking for someone, who’s just moved here a couple of months ago, from Italy......

• Advertisement

If you’ve just received your PPS number because you are new to working in Ireland. How does this affect you?

Asking for someone, who’s just moved here a couple of months ago, from Italy......

Likely it would be Jobseekers Allowance they would be applying for in this case as they base it on their social insurance record from I think 2018 for 2020. Not sure with Jobseekers do they take into account working in other EU countries off the top of my head.

Jobseekers Benefit is based on PRSI (social insurance record)

If you didn't qualify for that theyd then assess them for Jobseekers Allowance.

Jobseekers Allowance is means tested so PRSI wouldnt come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I can't even get on to the website
    Man that's crazy

An Post will allow a proxy to pick up social welfare payments on behalf of people who cannot venture out because of the coronavirus.
    In the event of a customer not being able to collect their Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection payments personally at the post office, a nominated person (temporary agent) can be nominated to collect the payment on their behalf.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/an-post-to-allow-temporary-agents-to-pick-up-welfare-payments-1.4203470

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I have an appointment on Friday in Blanch Social Welfare Office. I do not have a PSC.

Has recent changes last night meant I can claim for support online? If so, whats the link> I cant seem to find it.

sticker wrote:
    Has recent changes last night meant I can claim for support online? If so, whats the link> I cant seem to find it.

There is going to be a press release from the Department today and it will be announced in the papers for people to avoid local offices unless absolutely necessary

There are going to be shortened Jobseekers claim forms available online in the coming days as well.

There is going to be a press release from the Department today and it will be announced in the papers for people to avoid local offices unless absolutely necessary

There are going to be shortened Jobseekers claim forms available online in the coming days as well.

Thanks - What website is best to check for updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

An Post will allow a proxy to pick up social welfare payments on behalf of people who cannot venture out because of the coronavirus.
    In the event of a customer not being able to collect their Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection payments personally at the post office, a nominated person (temporary agent) can be nominated to collect the payment on their behalf.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/an-post-to-allow-temporary-agents-to-pick-up-welfare-payments-1.4203470
    Yes but and I think this is relevant, post offices have large crowds of people, would that not be a place where people would catch the Corona Virus from someone and pass it onto a half dozen people in the same room?

sticker wrote:

Gov.ie is the best place to keep up to date imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Was in at my local SW office just this morning. Was there 45 mins before they opened, by time they’d opened about 100 there.

They were only letting in 10 people at a time and then letting one out one in. They gave us a form to fill out for an emergency payment. The first 10 in were allowed to fill it out in there but they said they would just hand it out to everyone else and they can drop it into post box later.

The security guy said they would ‘not entertain anyone coughing, they would have to do it online’. They all looked overwhelmed to be honest. It’s going to be a very busy time for them.

HTH anyone going down today, wrap up, be ready for a long wait outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭redunited

Been laid off, cant go to a social welfare office keep away im told.
    Cant use online because they need to verify my mobile number which must be done at a social welfare office.
    Cant get a mortgage holiday because I have no proof of a social welfare claim.

Bascially im stuffed because nobody in govemrent or the banks have prepared despite telling us they have prepared.

• Advertisement

From Blanch Social Welfare Office

Good morning,

All appointments are cancelled. Please apply online using form COVID-UP

Kind regards,

Susan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Are they having people download application forms and post them or is that scrapped

Seems unnecessary bureaucracy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

That person is going to apply for SWA not Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Syncpolice wrote: »
    Are they having people download application forms and post them or is that scrapped

Seems unnecessary bureaucracy

How else would you get benefits other then applying for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

splinter65 wrote: »

splinter65 wrote: »

I think a better way would have been for effected businesses to make a claim to the state directly for their employees. This way some companies could top up the wages of their staff if possible, alternative the person remains employed with the emplyer paying them the social payment.

A lot less hassle and fuss.

It also keeps a lot of business going, nobody knows how long this will last and a lot of people may never return to their employer as they will be forced to find work elsewhere.

Does anyone know what happens if you are claiming Working Family Payment and now need to claim the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment?

Will they automatically stop the working fmaily payment?

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

There's a PDF form to download and post. Doing it NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

redunited wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happens if you are claiming Working Family Payment and now need to claim the COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment?

Will they automatically stop the working fmaily payment?

Yes they do, they’ll ‘suspend’ it. So I guess we don’t have to start a new claim after all this passes. And this too will pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

sticker wrote: »

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/99104a-covid-19-coronavirus/

Advertisement