Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to register online and claim levy/tax credits/ refunds : Now Includes Forms

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hi there

Can anyone tell me how claiming tax back after redundnacy works.

I was made redundant in Dec 2010. Am I right in thinking the tax year runs Oct to Oct and I am only entitled to tax back for two months?

Also, prior to this I was made redundnant in May 2008. Cam I claim for that as well?

Any idea what I need to bring to my local tax office???

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

The tax year runs from 1 Jan - 31 Dec. All your tax credits are allocated either weekly or monthly between these dates. As you were made redundant in Dec, it is probable that any tax which you can claim back wont be a lot. What you need to do is to get a P21 balancing statement which will show if you have overpaid/underpaid tax for the year. You can register online for Paye Anytime at the link below.

https://www.revenue.ie/selfservice/enterRegistrationDetails.faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    The tax year runs from 1 Jan - 31 Dec. All your tax credits are allocated either weekly or monthly between these dates. As you were made redundant in Dec, it is probable that any tax which you can claim back wont be a lot. What you need to do is to get a P21 balancing statement which will show if you have overpaid/underpaid tax for the year. You can register online for Paye Anytime at the link below.

https://www.revenue.ie/selfservice/enterRegistrationDetails.faces

Thanks for that. I have registered. What about when I was made redundant in May 08?

Will I get anything for that? How do I go about it. Any ideas?

I am not registered on there so cant be 100% but there should be an option to go back to any of the last 4 years to see if you have overpaid tax. It depends on how long you were out of work for in 2008 after you were made redundant.If you didnt work at all for the rest of the year you could possibly get back most of the tax you paid in the first 5 months but this depends on how much you earned, your tax credits and your standard rate cut off point

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If I can hijack this question a minute...

I sent in forms recently claiming tax back following redundancy. I received a letter dated 22 July, which only stated my bank details and asking me to contact the revenue if the details were incorrect/do nothing if they were correct.

I assume this means I will be getting a refund, but does anybody know how long it takes for this payment to come through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

The tax year ends in December so you are owed money back yes. The amount will be whatever your unused tax credits for the last few months entitle you to. Just do a tax return at the end of the year.

The difficulty is if you want the tax back now. Make sure you have a P45 and maybe go down and have a one to one chat with Revenue. I know I've done it before when I worked for the summer - if you can prove you are in college they'll do an early return for you. Maybe :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

I'll add that this used to be the case for students. I know I got my tax refund early. However this may have changed and you might have to sit it out until the end of the year. The tax office in Dublin is off O'Connell St (go early!) and they can advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

I am just workin a year in a part time job..Just wondering is there anyway to get tax paid back??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yes.

for the year end 2010 (and at the end of this year) you can request a P21 Balancing Statement form. The revenue will work out if you are owed tax back or if you need to pay any.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

yes.

for the year end 2010 (and at the end of this year) you can request a P21 Balancing Statement form. The revenue will work out if you are owed tax back or if you need to pay any.

Is there much to doing this.??..the company sorts all the tax out I think...Is there some emergency tax or something...just heard some friends talking about how they got tax back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

trepasers wrote: »
    Is there much to doing this.??..the company sorts all the tax out I think...Is there some emergency tax or something...just heard some friends talking about how they got tax back

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/p21-balancing-statement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭foghlu77

Hi,

My partner and I are not married, I work FT and she works PT and we have a 2 year old son yet we still get taxed the same as 2 single people even though we're co-habiting for years!? I've looked on the site and can find no way that I or my partner can claim for our child?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

foghlu77 wrote: »
    Hi,

My partner and I are not married, I work FT and she works PT and we have a 2 year old son yet we still get taxed the same as 2 single people even though we're co-habiting for years!? I've looked on the site and can find no way that I or my partner can claim for our child?

yep, only married people can be assessed differently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me as this is like a different language to me..

I think I am entitled to tax money back from 2010 as I only worked 3 months full-time. What is the form I need to get to apply for this?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Morzadec wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me as this is like a different language to me..

I think I am entitled to tax money back from 2010 as I only worked 3 months full-time. What is the form I need to get to apply for this?

Thanks in advance

Think thats my situation too - for last year. I have my pin number and logged in but I can only find info on how to claim tax credits not a tax refund. Double dutch to me!

Whem you are logged in to PAYE Anytime there should be an option in there to request a review of a previous year or order a P21 balancing statement.

You can have your tax reviewed for the past 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    Whem you are logged in to PAYE Anytime there should be an option in there to request a review of a previous year or order a P21 balancing statement.

You can have your tax reviewed for the past 4 years

Okay must be a P21 I need then. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

How do i go about claiming for bin tax refund as i was told i can claim for the last for years as i never claimed before i use the bin tags but dont have the invoices or anything but the company collects the bin every week so is it worth looking into?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

patwicklow wrote: »
    How do i go about claiming for bin tax refund as i was told i can claim for the last for years as i never claimed before i use the bin tags but dont have the invoices or anything but the company collects the bin every week so is it worth looking into?

You need receipts to back up your claims incase Revenue ever look for proof.

In order to claim it just log into your online account and input the amount into the service charges field under whatever year you wish to claim for.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it27.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Thanks for your reply no i never kept the receipts what a shame to lose out on a refund over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

patwicklow wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply no i never kept the receipts what a shame to lose out on a refund over the years.

Could you not even just claim for the yearly charge then ? Try ringing your bin company and see if they will give you invoices for the last four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Could you not even just claim for the yearly charge then ? Try ringing your bin company and see if they will give you invoices for the last four years.

You can claim a mx of 400 a year.
    Throw in this amount for the last 4 years, dont worry about receipts
    The tax man aint going to chase you up for this believe me.
    And if they ever do (will they really) im sure you could get receipts then.

alibabba wrote: »
    You can claim a mx of 400 a year.
    Throw in this amount for the last 4 years, dont worry about receipts
    The tax man aint going to chase you up for this believe me.
    And if they ever do (will they really) im sure you could get receipts then.

It's a big risk. A friend of mine put in a claim for the first time a while ago. €200 for doctor visits over a four year period. His claim is now under investigation.

If you claim €400 for bin charges you usually get back around €80, that's from my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

On thing I really noticed a difference was the medical insurance. My employer plays this for me, but I am still entitled to claim tax relief on it, so wasnt i a happy camper when a got a check back for over a grand last year cos i didnt claim this for last 4 years.
    Check it out, it cud be worth a nice bumper cheque in the post if its applicable to you.

Where do I go to claim this back in PAYE anytime for last year?

MuddyDog wrote: »

On thing I really noticed a difference was the medical insurance. My employer plays this for me, but I am still entitled to claim tax relief on it, so wasnt i a happy camper when a got a check back for over a grand last year cos i didnt claim this for last 4 years.
    Check it out, it cud be worth a nice bumper cheque in the post if its applicable to you.

Where do I go to claim this back in PAYE anytime for last year?

You cannot claim the medical insurance relief online. You need to send a letter to your local PAYE section from your employer showing the health insurance paid on your behalf in order to claim the relief.

You cannot claim the medical insurance relief online. You need to send a letter to your local PAYE section from your employer showing the health insurance paid on your behalf in order to claim the relief.

What if your not with that employer anymore ? I had 3 years medical insurance that my employer paid but i was taxed on it so i assume its a benefit in kind. Would that not be taken into account when you request a p21 balancing statement ?

Just trying to fill out the form required. How do I find the tax relief at source amount for section B? (http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/medical-insurance-relief.pdf)

As far as I'm aware my health insurance is a 967 premium pre year that my company pays for so what figure do I put in for tax relief at source? I get 81.14 BIK on my payslip every month.

Also what do I put in for "The reduction applied for any Age-Related Tax Credit". I'm in my mid 20s if that's a help?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Paye anytime is always crashing and is a joke of a website.

I am having fierce trouble doing my return.

I cannot claim back my Rent credits as it says unavailable? Why? I have been paying rent in my current property since November 2010.

anyone else having such problems?

• Advertisement

BohsCeltic wrote: »

What if your not with that employer anymore ? I had 3 years medical insurance that my employer paid but i was taxed on it so i assume its a benefit in kind. Would that not be taken into account when you request a p21 balancing statement ?

Unless your employer had been informing Revenue on their P35s for you, that they were paying medical insurance on your behalf, I would get a letter from them just to check it was done right. Get a letter stating how much they paid for you each year and submit it to Revenue.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it5.html

Advertisement