Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dress code for Muslim men

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If I'm correct, it's traditional dress from South Asia - Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, etc.

There is no one Islamic culture - the traditional spread of Islam is from Indonesia to Morocco - lots of regional variety.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Victor wrote: »
    If I'm correct, it's traditional dress from South Asia - Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, etc.

There is no one Islamic culture - the traditional spread of Islam is from Indonesia to Morocco - lots of regional variety.

It's a modesty consideration, for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 owenbutt

That's a Pakistani dress called Shalwar Kameez. Shalwar being the lower part and Kameez being the top part. The designs can vary from being plain on a day to day basis to being quite fancy on occassions such as weddings. You can relate this to people dressed up in slacks and shirts on a daily basis or suits for any occasions like weddings and funerals. This is what you migh come across on weddings. I can't post links being a new user so just change the links below:

Women's

salwarkameezsale.com/2014/sha-1125/images/salwar-kameez-sha-1128.jpg
    fashionwebz.com/image/cache/data/exotic-stone-enhanced-pakistani-salwar-kameez-800x1100.jpg
    chennaistore.com/image/cache/data/yellow-net-senton-salwar-kameez_11197-800x1100.jpg

Men's
    fashionztrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/3-stunning-shalwar-kameez-for-mens-7.jpg
    andafunda.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Latest-Indian-Salwar-Kameez-Design-For-Men-500x389.jpg
    shefashiontrend.com/wp-content/uploads/men-salwar-kurta-2013-style-2-402x1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,053 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hi, I was wondering why some Muslim men dress in a very long top and bottoms. they are loose fitting and look like a uniform. its hard to explain but I'll provide a link. https://img0.etsystatic.com/030/1/8537312/il_fullxfull.582309090_4vdq.jpg

is there religious significance to this or is it just islamic culture?
    Neither. It's a regional thing. As others have pointed out, its tradition in and near Pakistan. While most of the people in that part of the word are Muslims, there are non-Muslims there as well, and they are just as likely as Muslims are to wear shalwar kameez.

Advertisement