Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career Change To Accountancy

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Josuke wrote: »
    What did you end up doing instead? That sounds like a very bad experience, hope things are working out for you

I got a job in retail, of which the place closed down a few months back. So currently unemployed and looking for a job. I don't even have my degree on my CV anymore :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I got a job in retail, of which the place closed down a few months back. So currently unemployed and looking for a job. I don't even have my degree on my CV anymore :pac:

It is quite tough to get a traineeship, but if you can manage it, it gets easier after the 1st year.

Maybe try small accountancy practices and industry?

In the meantime trial the online packages, try some practice accounts, download safe accounts production, try with sample questions to build accounts & put that on the cv.

Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You shoiud put it on again - it shows hrd wirk and determination & people adknowledge that .

OP I totally retrained TWICE and didn’t regret it. I do have to manage ‘those’ questions in interview and still havn’t found what I’m looking for but it is feasible. Have you looked at funding for retraining from TR1 - EU/HEA funded courses. I am sure there are some accountancy pathways there which would at least save you thousands in fees? Although not springboard courses bizzarely they are on the springboard website - just filter your search or you’ll be there all day. There are definately EU/state funded ACCA courses as well as some ATI courses there - if you have a degree alteady I would hust start the ACCA one and not bother adding 2 years of ATI exams just to get exemptions from a few of the ACCA modules - not a productive trade off at this stage of your life and experience.

You say you want a quick way out from your current job - why is this? And why accountancy specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭onrail

To hop in on this thread, much like an above poster, I've 10 years experience as a Chartered Civil Engineer but looking for a career change.

I'm on the brink of enrolling in the ACA CAP1 Flexible route as a way of 'hedging my bets'. It would allow me to keep my current job and salary while deciding if I'm definitely interested in accountancy. Ultimately I think I'd enjoy a career as a tax advisor, but it's difficult to know for sure.

My thinking is that even if I don't pursue an accountancy career, the CAP1 education/exemption will stand well to me regardless of what career I choose. I work pretty long hours at the minute, but with a new baby, the early career working hours in audit seem unfeasible.

Any advice on whether my reasoning is sound and the ACA flexible route is the best option?

• Advertisement

onrail wrote: »
    To hop in on this thread, much like an above poster, I've 10 years experience as a Chartered Civil Engineer but looking for a career change.

I'm on the brink of enrolling in the ACA CAP1 Flexible route as a way of 'hedging my bets'. It would allow me to keep my current job and salary while deciding if I'm definitely interested in accountancy. Ultimately I think I'd enjoy a career as a tax advisor, but it's difficult to know for sure.

My thinking is that even if I don't pursue an accountancy career, the CAP1 education/exemption will stand well to me regardless of what career I choose. I work pretty long hours at the minute, but with a new baby, the early career working hours in audit seem unfeasible.

Any advice on whether my reasoning is sound and the ACA flexible route is the best option?

Flex route is fine, but you will not get the required education for the audit qualification, but then you probably won't need it.

You will need to get the 3.5 years work experience though regardless and it is usually only the bigger firms that require crazy hours.

davindub wrote: »
    Flex route is fine, but you will not get the required education for the audit qualification, but then you probably won't need it.

You will need to get the 3.5 years work experience though regardless and it is usually only the bigger firms that require crazy hours.

Thanks very much - Is ACA the best option in my case, or would another body be better suited?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TragicJohnson

Thanks very much - Is ACA the best option in my case, or would another body be better suited?

I switched from software to accountancy, I went with CIMA. It sounds like ACCA would be more suitable for you if you wish to pursue a career in taxation and continue working in your engineering role. But if you were prepared to pack in your current role, I would suggest going down the ACA route with an accountancy firm of any size.

I switched from software to accountancy, I went with CIMA. It sounds like ACCA would be more suitable for you if you wish to pursue a career in taxation and continue working in your engineering role. But if you were prepared to pack in your current role, I would suggest going down the ACA route with an accountancy firm of any size.

Thanks very much - a bit for me to think about!

I might ask here on another thread, but has anyone gone through the ACCA route while working? The process doesn't seem all that clear when compared to the ACA flexible route.

Thanks very much - a bit for me to think about!

I might ask here on another thread, but has anyone gone through the ACCA route while working? The process doesn't seem all that clear when compared to the ACA flexible route.

Most do. But, ACA a fine choice also.

• Advertisement

it actually very much depends on what you want to end up doing.

Round up as I see it:

Practice = ACA, ACCA or CPA. All require work experience of about 3.5 years. ACA requires 1 years work experience before entering FAE and have exam sittings with all subjects examined over a week. ACCA generally have exams every 3 months.

Industry- ACA, ACCA, CPA (all the same as above) but also CIMA - no experience.

With either option, the qualification is only the knowledge, there is skill involved not focused on in courses self checking work, working accurately, various software used, recognition of common issues, good sense of what seems right. It is the latter employers value most and hence, many employers will require some experience before considering you for any role above entry. The education does not make much difference if you are expected to post invoices, reconcile banks, post journals, make assumptions, etc.

I would recommend if you want to pursue accountancy to do the 1st year of any course and then look for a role while doing this. You would really need the work experience as well. But practice with the accounting packages you can trial for free. Any little angle may help when looking for a role.

Multinationals often seek qualified accountants for entry roles and some look for big 4 experience (or at least recruitment agent advertise mysterious unnamed roles seeking the same). So bear that in mind as well.

Thanks for the replies all. Think I'll opt against ACA at the last minute as ACCA seems to offer more flexibility with exam sittings - an important consideration when trying to keep a busy family and busy work life in balance.

Thanks for the replies all. Think I'll opt against ACA at the last minute as ACCA seems to offer more flexibility with exam sittings - an important consideration when trying to keep a busy family and busy work life in balance.

Welcome to the club. Like Indy you have chosen wisely.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

How long would you need to tough it out, friend?

Need a min of 3 years relevant experience to be qualified (might be up to 4 depending on chosen qualification and existing education completed). Pre qualification money might be better if working in an accounting role in industry, but in a training contract especially in practice those years can be stark. Larger firms do have
    some increasess for passing exams/progressing during those years but realistically the big jump comes when both the exams and time are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭hold my beer

ari101 wrote: »
    Need a min of 3 years relevant experience to be qualified (might be up to 4 depending on chosen qualification and existing education completed). Pre qualification money might be better if working in an accounting role in industry, but in a training contract especially in practice those years can be stark. Larger firms do have
    some increasess for passing exams/progressing during those years but realistically the big jump comes when both the exams and time are complete.

You must have been unlucky. My training firm (a small one) gave raises every year if passed exams. Same story for all my mates in College.

You must have been unlucky. My training firm (a small one) gave raises every year if passed exams. Same story for all my mates in College.

I did get increases, but have heard horror stories. Glad to know smaller firms are not all the same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Chartered Accountants Ireland have recommended and/or minimum salary increments for passing each exam stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Chartered Accountants Ireland have recommended and/or minimum salary increments for passing each exam stage

Do they. Any link?

Thanks for the response. Any thoughts on whether to go for auditing or advisory graduate programmes? I heard a lot of auditors hate the job and can't wait to leave.

Any general comments on different career paths like TAS, restructuring, deal advisory, valuations? Trying to find something that is more interesting and less mundane.

Auditing is hated by a lot (myself incl having done the big 4 audit training) but in a decent (mid+) size firm you can get good exposure to a wide variety of clients which is respected on a CV if you want to be a financial accountant in industry when qualified, how you shape your career will depend on the choices you make then, industry jobs can offer lots of diversity once you are out the other side.

Graduate trainee programs will generally have set salary and increases over the few years (size depends on performance reviews and passing exams). If you are in a decent size firm it looks good on a CV for later.

What you apply for depends on what you want to do.
    For those training focused on financial services, there seems to be a huge number of fin tech jobs going for qualified accountants with experience but fin services isn't everyone's cuppa tea.

Consulting will definitely be more varied / interesting, if that is your desire. Corp Finance roles can be wide reaching too, but you may have to serve your time on the boring bits of TAS/liquidations/etc. before getting to the more interesting stuff. If you get in training in that area then you should be able to make a nice career there. I know I have heard some people going into NTMA find it gets old and want to get out into other corp finance work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I started my traineeship in 2010, of the 40 or so of us who were taken on about 10 were over 30 and they had mainly come from construction/pharma jobs, really qualified/intelligent people.

I don't think there was anyone who was 37, but there were a few who were knocking on 35.

A few came in with some exams, but once you're in it doesn't matter.

They're all doing well now.

Advertisement