Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there ever a debate about who was the best Irish Sports person ever? *READ OP*

• 22-07-2020 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

It is Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history, and one of the most influential in World soccer history

19 major titles

An inspirational force of nature with the guile, skill and will to win at all costs, he almost demanded it, and he inspired his team to do it. One of a very select few Irish sports persons to excel in the heat of battle.

He literally dragged Man utd to their first Champions league win. Putting in an inspirational performance against Juventus in the the semi finals when they were looking at certain defeat against. Diego Maradona was left slack jawed at the dominance of the performance

This is a player that would have been the first pick on any team or country in the world.

This is a guy who played in the biggest and most competitive sport on the planet

His legend will live on for centuries

Mod:

partyguinness and Randy Archer do not post in this thread again.

Constant back and forth bickering cleaned up. Anymore of this nonsense will result in further thread bans and/or other sanctions

Comments

No, he’s neither.

Katie Taylor could go the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭sxt

No, he’s neither.

Can you name an Irish sports star that would compare?

Michelle Smith de Bruin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I hate to say it, as I can't stand him, but conor mcgregor would certainly be up there on the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Keane doesn’t even have as many Olympic medals as Jack B. Yeats.

italodisco wrote: »
    I hate to say it, as I can't stand him, but conor mcgregor would certainly be up there on the list

Couldn't think of a worse ambassador, McGregor is a feral knackbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Ap McCoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Not a fcukin chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭sxt

In regards to the amount of people who play football vs the people who practise MMA World wide, I don't think he can be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

James Cecil Parke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Collie D wrote: »
    Keane doesn’t even have as many Olympic medals as Jack B. Yeats.

Or Nobel prize

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

Seán Kelly!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

George Best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

sxt wrote: »
    Roy Keane

There is no other Irish person close. Who ever is second, is a distant second

He is the most influential sports person in Irish sporting History, and in British football history

Any objections?

Yeah, you're probably right. The sport Keane played in, is played by millions of people world wide, so to be competitive at a high level in such a popular sport is indeed a great achievement.

There are probably only a handful of elite MMA fighter so McGregor doesn't compare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Edgware wrote: »
    Or Nobel prize
    You're mixing up your Yeatses there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

cdeb wrote: »
    You're mixing up your Keatses there!

And you’re mixing your Yeats with your Keats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Christy ring

Collie D wrote: »
    And you’re mixing your Yeats with our Keats :)
    Damned ninja edit wasn't quick enough! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

By what measure? Henry Shefflin earned more silverware, captained more teams, and played for longer. Not international though.

The question is, as both Keane and Shefflin would agree no doubt, pointless. And any answer would be incorrect as it could easily be logically dismantled. ‘Who was the best ever’ is a mindset lads carry over from the playground debates of which was the best dinosaur, and Oasis v Blur.

• Advertisement

The o Donovan brothers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Jack Charlton. Won a World Cup. Beat that Roy Keane

Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley

Came fourth in the skeleton in the Winter Olympics despite us not having any aul bit of snow since that one time yer man hit his head off the footpath on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Michelle Smith de Bruin

Our most successful Olympian does get forgotten about in these lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If there's no debate, it calls into question the logic of starting a thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

endacl wrote: »
    By what measure? Henry Shefflin earned more silverware, captained more teams, and played for longer. Not international though.

The question is, as both Keane and Shefflin would agree no doubt, pointless. And any answer would be incorrect as it could easily be logically dismantled. ‘Who was the best ever’ is a mindset lads carry over from the playground debates of which was the best dinosaur, and Oasis v Blur.

Aye. 'Tis subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

joe40 wrote: »

There are probably only a handful of elite MMA fighter so McGregor doesn't compare.

Yes, there’s only 5 elite MMA fighters in the world today.

Pillar caffrey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Roy Keane is not even the best footballer. In this order
    1. Liam Brady
    2. Paul McGrath
    3. John Giles
    4. Roy Keane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

BOllocks.

Advertisement