Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-06-2020, 15:52   #1
BlackEdelweiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,248
Finding a UI Developer

I am in talks with a software company about an app I am developing. I suppose there are three main sides to it, the concept (me), the technology (the software company) and the UI (UI developer). They have told me I need to hire a UI developer to do that side of things as they only provide the software.

I am tight on cash as this is a prototype and is being done all on my own finances. Should I look to India or one of these countries where costs per hour are lower or does this come with its own set of problems? I would like to support an Irish developer but if their costs are prohibitive then it is a case of foreign or not at all.
BlackEdelweiss is offline  
Advertisement
14-07-2020, 16:01   #2
maccored
Registered User
 
maccored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,894
Send a message via Skype™ to maccored
I think you answered your own question.

It takes time to develop software and interfaces. Time as we know equals money
maccored is offline  
14-07-2020, 16:07   #3
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,645
Such an open ended question and hard to tell based on what info you have given. Also - sounds strange that a Software Company wouldn't be able to assist with UI development? Or are we talking about UI / Product design?
kenmm is offline  
15-07-2020, 09:01   #4
BlackEdelweiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccored View Post
I think you answered your own question.

It takes time to develop software and interfaces. Time as we know equals money
I dont think I have answered my own question, I know an Irish company will be more expensive but my query was relating to the pitfalls of outsourcing to somewhere like India where prices per hour are much lower. I can do the basic math, I just dont know the industry.
BlackEdelweiss is offline  
15-07-2020, 09:05   #5
BlackEdelweiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmm View Post
Such an open ended question and hard to tell based on what info you have given. Also - sounds strange that a Software Company wouldn't be able to assist with UI development? Or are we talking about UI / Product design?
Again, I dont know the industry so I am going on the advice I have been given at this point. I have to find an xyz developer to design the user interface. The other software company will integrate their product into this interface.
BlackEdelweiss is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2020, 09:14   #6
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,645
If the product is well designed and you know exactly what you want from a UI developer, then there could be value in outsourcing it.

I would focus more on making sure the project is actually viable.

For example, you mention a prototype - that would imply that you are looking for something to show investors or to test the idea etc - if thats the case - you might not even need software to be written.
If thats't not the case, then why do you call it a prototype?

It sounds like I am answering (or not answering!) your question with more questions, but I smell some potential red flags here as it's not the normal way I would see approaching a software project (not necessarily saying it's bad, I don't know enough detail).
kenmm is offline  
15-07-2020, 09:34   #7
beauf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 19,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEdelweiss View Post
I am in talks with a software company about an app I am developing. I suppose there are three main sides to it, the concept (me), the technology (the software company) and the UI (UI developer). They have told me I need to hire a UI developer to do that side of things as they only provide the software.

I am tight on cash as this is a prototype and is being done all on my own finances. Should I look to India or one of these countries where costs per hour are lower or does this come with its own set of problems? I would like to support an Irish developer but if their costs are prohibitive then it is a case of foreign or not at all.
You shouldn't get into this level of micromanaging. Find a different company to work with that does it all. Get a fixed price for a clearly defined set of deliverables. When the project is over define what you will be left with..
beauf is offline  
Thanks from:
17-07-2020, 18:44   #8
maccored
Registered User
 
maccored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,894
Send a message via Skype™ to maccored
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEdelweiss View Post
I dont think I have answered my own question, I know an Irish company will be more expensive but my query was relating to the pitfalls of outsourcing to somewhere like India where prices per hour are much lower. I can do the basic math, I just dont know the industry.
my point had been that using a developer rather than outsourcing it would be the better idea. Might cost more - but at least you wont have to searching India for the developer if things go south
maccored is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet