Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jesus Prayer

• 14-06-2020 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

This sounds a silly question! Whenever I search Google for the above prayer, it doesn't direct me to the proper Bible quotation. I enter the prayer in full (it is short) but I cannot get the Bible quotation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

cnoc wrote: »
    This sounds a silly question! Whenever I search Google for the above prayer, it doesn't direct me to the proper Bible quotation. I enter the prayer in full) it is short) but I cannot get the Bible quotation?

John 17?

Do you mean the prayer that Jesus prayed? Or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

John 17?

Do you mean the prayer that Jesus prayed? Or something else?

The prayer I enter is "Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner"'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

The Wikipedia article on the Jesus prayer includes a section on it's scriptural roots. I'm afraid I don't know enough of the history of the prayer to say whether it's accurate or not:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Prayer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,018 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The prayer seems to have been in use long befoer it came to be known as the "Jesus prayer". Most probably it came to be called that because it starts with an invocation of the name of Jesus, which is the same way that the "Hail Mary" and the "Our Father" got their common names.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

It's taken from Luke 18 and the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collecter where he stands before God and says, "God be merciful to me a sinner". The prayer began in the short form "Jesus have mercy on me a sinner" and developed into the long form "Lord Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner." I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

It's taken from Luke 18 and the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collecter where he stands before God and says, "God be merciful to me a sinner". The prayer began in the short form "Jesus have mercy on me a sinner" and developed into the long form "Lord Jesus Christ Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner." I hope this helps.

Thank you got this information. Most helpful.

Thank you all for your replies.

Advertisement